Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone guess the year of an Epi SG?

Miguello

Just bought this Monday, and I am curious as to what year it may have been made? I am guessing late 90's to mid 2000's possibly. The whole no pickguard thing was in full swing about that time. S/N on the back of the neck plate is 099120690.

Such a funky color. I don't think I've ever seen one this color.

14205959_1261629980515975_3574361698068935660_o.jpg

It's an Epiphone SG Special, made from 1999 thru 2010.

Most were issued in black or red, but a much smaller number came in that olive green.

Worth $175 in really nice condition.

Yours is a bit abused, and worth quite a bit less.

Still, it could clean up really nicely, with a bit of work.

AND it's too fine to live, in a manner of speaking.

:)

Just bought this Monday, and I am curious as to what year it may have been made? I am guessing late 90's to mid 2000's possibly. The whole no pickguard thing was in full swing about that time. S/N on the back of the neck plate is 099120690.

Such a funky color. I don't think I've ever seen one this color.

14205959_1261629980515975_3574361698068935660_o.jpg

Pretty sure that's a Korean serial from 1999.

Johnny

So I wasn't too far off with my estimate. Good to know it was lower production in this color. It wasn't a bad deal at $65 including tax then. I wasn't looking for a huge profit on it anyway. I just always kind of liked the SG body shape, and it was cheap and something to tinker with. I already have it in way nicer condition than found. I had to scrape funk from around the frets, you could only see where the strings contacted them. I had to use steel wool and a screwdriver to clean out the output jack, since it buzzed and cut out, and made all sorts of nasty noises. Right now it is sounding pretty damn good for a $65 guitar. I have a tendency to over improve things, so it will probably be no different with this. I plan to replace the tuners, since they seem to go out of tune too easily. Also planning to replace the pickups, and of course the broken off switch that I already have. The pots seem to function fine, no crackling or popping, and the taper is pretty smooth on both considering it's a budget guitar. I really don't want to put a grand into it or anything, I just want something that sounds decent. Down the line I may sell it and get something newer, but no plans as of yet. I know for sure I can barely afford the shop I have been going to for strings. Most of their guitars seem to be special editions or vintage, and many are in the $1500 to $3000 range. Nice stuff, but I can't justify that price range since it is mostly a hobby for me.

So I wasn't too far off with my estimate. Good to know it was lower production in this color. It wasn't a bad deal at $65 including tax then. I wasn't looking for a huge profit on it anyway. I just always kind of liked the SG body shape, and it was cheap and something to tinker with. I already have it in way nicer condition than found. I had to scrape funk from around the frets, you could only see where the strings contacted them. I had to use steel wool and a screwdriver to clean out the output jack, since it buzzed and cut out, and made all sorts of nasty noises. Right now it is sounding pretty damn good for a $65 guitar. I have a tendency to over improve things, so it will probably be no different with this. I plan to replace the tuners, since they seem to go out of tune too easily. Also planning to replace the pickups, and of course the broken off switch that I already have. The pots seem to function fine, no crackling or popping, and the taper is pretty smooth on both considering it's a budget guitar. I really don't want to put a grand into it or anything, I just want something that sounds decent. Down the line I may sell it and get something newer, but no plans as of yet. I know for sure I can barely afford the shop I have been going to for strings. Most of their guitars seem to be special editions or vintage, and many are in the $1500 to $3000 range. Nice stuff, but I can't justify that price range since it is mostly a hobby for me.

I've used these guys

http://www.guitarfetish.com/

for replacement parts a lot over the years, always been pretty happy with their stuff from hardware to pick ups. Mind you I like some of their pick ups better than others, but I believe that to be true for any manufacturer.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Be sure to post back with results, we always like to see more pics.

Johnny

I would like to add a pickguard, but I imagine the GIbson and Epiphone SG's use slightly different specs as to pickup placement, etc? Removing extra material is one thing, but you can't add material if there's a large gap somewhere. A pickguard would take care of the "To fine to die" below the pickups. I imagine I am on my own with the "To fine to live" etching. I believe a tortoise shell pickguard would compliment the green quite nicely.

I have a vintage red white and blue Shiner beer sticker I could put over the upper destruction, lol! I have some vintage Lone Star beer stickers too, but they're HUGE! Everything's bigger in Texas though, right?

I would like to add a pickguard, but I imagine the GIbson and Epiphone SG's use slightly different specs as to pickup placement, etc? Removing extra material is one thing, but you can't add material if there's a large gap somewhere. A pickguard would take care of the "To fine to die" below the pickups. I imagine I am on my own with the "To fine to live" etching. I believe a tortoise shell pickguard would compliment the green quite nicely.

I have a vintage red white and blue Shiner beer sticker I could put over the upper destruction, lol! I have some vintage Lone Star beer stickers too, but they're HUGE! Everything's bigger in Texas though, right?

I've found that most replacement pick guards require a little tweaking here and there for fit. Usually a bit of filling or sanding.

You should be able to find something more or less suitable, you can try these guys, I've used them before too with success.

http://www.greasygroove.com/categories.php?cat=9

Johnny

WOW! Major deals on the humbuckers on that site! I can actually afford them, lol! Have you used the GFS professional Alnico 5 humbuckers before? Thinking about ordering a set next week possibly? I like a punchy, warm, slightly overdriven tone more than a crunchy metal sound. More of a late 60's to mid 70's rock/blues sound. Think ZZ top pre Eliminator.

WOW! Major deals on the humbuckers on that site! I can actually afford them, lol! Have you used the GFS professional Alnico 5 humbuckers before? Thinking about ordering a set next week possibly? I like a punchy, warm, slightly overdriven tone more than a crunchy metal sound. More of a late 60's to mid 70's rock/blues sound. Think ZZ top pre Eliminator.

I haven't used their pro series (they've released them since I last ordered) but have used these ones and they pretty much nail the sound you're looking for.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Chrome-Neck-Position_p_156.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Crunchy-Pat-High-Output-Humbucker-Chrome-Bridge-Position_p_185.html

I put these in a budget Hamer Explorer and am quite happy with them.

I can only speculate that their pro series are even better.

Johnny

The rhythm sound from this song is what I'm ultimately after. I know I will probably never afford the guitar that made these sounds unless I sell my truck and start riding a bike as my primary transportation, but I'd like to get close, haha.

These will get you close, but remember that some of that is amp and playing technique, we'd all like to be the Rev Billie [biggrin]

These will get you close, but remember that some of that is amp and playing technique, we'd all like to be the Rev Billie [biggrin]

Ain't that the truth. Growing up(and living) in Houston I've actually run into him a couple of times. Once back in the 90's at a bar called Emo's (Not the place in Austin) He walked in about 1:30 am with a woman on each arm, hehe. They cleared the bar in about 2 minutes. Everybody out. I did get a chance to shake his hand and get an autograph that has long since been lost. Then once again about 5-6 years ago, a buddy and I were about halfway through eating lunch at a place called Cyclone Anaya's(sp?) and my buddy tells me to turn around but don't be obvious. There Billy is, eating a plate of enchiladas, hehe. Apparently my buddy knows him, since he has done sound for a lot of places in Houston, and we got to chit chat a little outside as we were leaving. He's definitely showing his age, but he can still outplay a whole lot of players in my book.

Ain't that the truth. Growing up(and living) in Houston I've actually run into him a couple of times. Once back in the 90's at a bar called Emo's (Not the place in Austin) He walked in about 1:30 am with a woman on each arm, hehe. They cleared the bar in about 2 minutes. Everybody out. I did get a chance to shake his hand and get an autograph that has long since been lost. Then once again about 5-6 years ago, a buddy and I were about halfway through eating lunch at a place called Cyclone Anaya's(sp?) and my buddy tells me to turn around but don't be obvious. There Billy is, eating a plate of enchiladas, hehe. Apparently my buddy knows him, since he has done sound for a lot of places in Houston, and we got to chit chat a little outside as we were leaving. He's definitely showing his age, but he can still outplay a whole lot of players in my book.

Awesome cool stories, you're a lucky guy.

I'm not as pretty as I once was either, but if I can play 1/2 as well as Billie at his age I'll be more than happy.

The funniest thing about that night at Emo's... I will remember it for the rest of my life... My GF at the time says when he walked up to the bar... "Who does he think he is, Billy Gibbons or something?" To which I replied," Actually it IS Billy Gibbons".

WOOHOO!! my Flanger pedal works again! Back story, tropical storm Allison in Houston.... My effects board was sitting on the floor, like duh where else would it be. Well, Houston got about 36 inches of rain in a few days, which translated into about 4 inches in the house. Meanwhile, my wife and I were flying to Guatemala for an interesting adventure vacation. We were wondering why it took so long to get there. We had to fly around the storm, we realized after the fact. We didn't hear anything about the storm until a day or so before we left Guatemala. Yep, every single one of my pedals had to be drained of water. Well, in the years since I never thre them away, they just sat on a shelf. I just hooked up the Flange pedal, after robbing an output jack nut off of my Vibro thang, and it worked right off the bat. I guess they finally dried out. Nothing inside looked rusted or corroded, lucky me. See I am going for the ZZtop sound, and I believe they used a flanger quite a lot with distortion of course, judging by the lead sound on Nationwide. I might be wrong? Anyway, I am happy, hehe.

Here's the plan! No more "To fine to" etchings, and coolness out the wazoo. Tortoiseshell material, with black pickup pedestals, and probably chrome humbuckers. One large sheet ought to cover both ways with room to spare.

greenSGpick3_zps2el0udw7.png

Looks great!!!! Much better than the scratch to live....very nice fix.

[biggrin]

I could ignore the lower horn as well, and make it look like a larger version of the top side? The one I made up has a sort of 60's/70's Asian brand look that I kind of dig, hehe.

But new woes though.... My amp was sitting idle, and all of a sudden LOUD buzzing squeal, that faded out as a racing motorcycle shifting gears when I hit the power switch to shut it down. I shut it down within five seconds or so, but I don't think it's going to stop if I turn it back on. I bought it around 98/99, so could the tubes be going, or does this sound more like a transformer or capacitor thing? It's a Pignose G40V... It did give a faint motorboat or helicopter noise a couple of days ago, but I chalked it up to the dirty somewhat loose electronics on the SG... I am going to pull the tubes, as it has had enough time to cool down already. Hopefully just a tube, so I can put a set of even better ones in it.

I could ignore the lower horn as well, and make it look like a larger version of the top side? The one I made up has a sort of 60's/70's Asian brand look that I kind of dig, hehe.

But new woes though.... My amp was sitting idle, and all of a sudden LOUD buzzing squeal, that faded out as a racing motorcycle shifting gears when I hit the power switch to shut it down. I shut it down within five seconds or so, but I don't think it's going to stop if I turn it back on. I bought it around 98/99, so could the tubes be going, or does this sound more like a transformer or capacitor thing? It's a Pignose G40V... It did give a faint motorboat or helicopter noise a couple of days ago, but I chalked it up to the dirty somewhat loose electronics on the SG... I am going to pull the tubes, as it has had enough time to cool down already. Hopefully just a tube, so I can put a set of even better ones in it.

Personally I'd just leave the love bite on the lower horn as is and call it mojo. You pick guard really dressed it up (the tortoise looks amazing on the green) and covered the scars that would bug me the most. Chrome pups will really make it pop too.

I know next to nothing about amp repair, I can swap the tubes in my little 5 watt head, have fixed a couple cold solder joints in an old Crate I've got but that's about it. The squealing I would guess to be a bad tube, the motorboating I would guess to be bad cap/resistor (pretty certain it has nothing to do with the SG), but like I said I know next to nothing about amps other than turning them on and plugging into them to get lovely noise out.

There are a few amp gurus on the forums though, but most wont see it in this Epi section. I would post your amp concerns in the Gibson lounge as it gets a lot more traffic.

Personally I'd just leave the love bite on the lower horn as is and call it mojo. You pick guard really dressed it up (the tortoise looks amazing on the green) and covered the scars that would bug me the most. Chrome pups will really make it pop too.

I know next to nothing about amp repair, I can swap the tubes in my little 5 watt head, have fixed a couple cold solder joints in an old Crate I've got but that's about it. The squealing I would guess to be a bad tube, the motorboating I would guess to be bad cap/resistor (pretty certain it has nothing to do with the SG), but like I said I know next to nothing about amps other than turning them on and plugging into them to get lovely noise out.

There are a few amp gurus on the forums though, but most wont see it in this Epi section. I would post your amp concerns in the Gibson lounge as it gets a lot more traffic.

Alright, fair enough. I do know one thing, my little pignose 7-100 still works. It made a bunch of very loud crackling noises until I worked the knob back and forth like rolling play doh, lol. It actually doesn't sound half bad, lol. Not near as good as 2 6L6's and three 12AX7's but yeah. G40V...The fuse is good, and all of the tubes glow like nothing's wrong. I bet it's an internal un-viewable thing that will cost me money. Sigh... Just when I was getting back into it. Of course I used to have a Princeton 110 solid state amp, but I don't see anything that looks like that lately. It seems like they're all now the tweed or black box with the buttons on top. I did see an interesting fender IIRC, it was at a local pawn shop, and I remember it being well under 200 bucks, which was the price of the G40V IIRC. Hmm, decision time I guess. Get this fixed or..... It always kind of bummed me out that it didn't have a reverb, and digital reverb doesn't sound the same to me.

Alright, fair enough. I do know one thing, my little pignose 7-100 still works. It made a bunch of very loud crackling noises until I worked the knob back and forth like rolling play doh, lol. It actually doesn't sound half bad, lol. Not near as good as 2 6L6's and three 12AX7's but yeah. G40V...The fuse is good, and all of the tubes glow like nothing's wrong. I bet it's an internal un-viewable thing that will cost me money. Sigh... Just when I was getting back into it. Of course I used to have a Princeton 110 solid state amp, but I don't see anything that looks like that lately. It seems like they're all now the tweed or black box with the buttons on top. I did see an interesting fender IIRC, it was at a local pawn shop, and I remember it being well under 200 bucks, which was the price of the G40V IIRC. Hmm, decision time I guess. Get this fixed or..... It always kind of bummed me out that it didn't have a reverb, and digital reverb doesn't sound the same to me.

Try the guys in the lounge before you make any big decisions, they're pretty knowledgeable and helpful over there too

My Strat needs some serious work too. I guess I can do that to take my mind off the squealing amp. The volume control is actually crunchy feeling, and has to be tapped to provide the full setting, lol. It has been about 15 years since it has seen any love. It's about time. CTS pots and new solder for all, lol.

My Strat needs some serious work too. I guess I can do that to take my mind off the squealing amp. The volume control is actually crunchy feeling, and has to be tapped to provide the full setting, lol. It has been about 15 years since it has seen any love. It's about time. CTS pots and new solder for all, lol.

yeah the electronics don't last forever especially if they too were exposed to your flood, moisture is BAD

at least you'll get some practise in with the iron LOL

yeah the electronics don't last forever especially if they too were exposed to your flood, moisture is BAD

at least you'll get some practise in with the iron LOL

Nah it was sitting in a bookcase kinda thing about 5-6 inches off the floor. All the electronics are above all that about a foot and half as well. They're all in the top of the amp, and the flood was 2001 IIRC? Plenty of time for it to have problems before now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Allison

Archived