Gibson Brands Forums

Sacrilege to gut one guitar for benefit of another?

Miguello

So, I have these two Epiphones, both I have bought in the last week or so, for the total price of $135. Both were pawn shop specials, flogged mercilessly and thrown out pretty much. Well, one of them happens to be a one year only Firebird Slasher(from what I have read) and it has the nicest sounding warm/punchy humbuckers I've personally heard on a guitar. I am sure they are a lot of nice pickups out there, but these just hit my ears as what I want my guitar to sound like. The problem is that they are in this metal looking guitar body. The guitar says headbanger in every way, except it sounds like a Texas blues or 70's rock guitar? It's kind of a puzzling package honestly.

The other guitar is an SG, I've sure you've seen it already. The green machine. It has so much resonance when played unplugged, and sounds okay plugged, it just feels like it was meant to sound bigger and badder. Like it's being held back trying to make the tones I want from it. Sounds great distorted metal wise, through my Metal Zone.

So you can see what I am thinking? Put the warm hot pickups from the Slasher, into the resonant SG body. I think it would be a match made in heaven. Especially with a couple of CTS pots to replace the factory pots. Of course I would put the SG pickups into the Slasher, and sell it off I guess? Or maybe even keep it around for when I want to bang my head, hehe. The black pickups would suit it better anyway. Kind of odd design anyway, putting chrome faced vintage sounding humbuckers in a guitar that looks like a headbanger special.

Seriously, if you've never heard these pickups, check them out. Muting the strings slightly with your right hand, and playing rhythm, it punches the amp speaker like a bass drum, hehe.

Believe it or not, this is the ONLY video I could find where they weren't blasting metal power chords and blistering leads, lol. You can get a clue of how good they sound. Right about the time the sound begins to break up into distortion and a little past, is the sweet spot for these pickups IMHO. In other words, just slightly more driven than the video.

Well, at those price points, knock yourself out. Some of the best playing guitars were built by and for the player, i.e. Clapton's Blackie, EVH's Frankenstein, and the crown jewel, if you will, Brian May's Red Special. Go for it. My 2 cents, anyway.

I must agree with Dennis.

With so little invested, you may as well cannibalize the pickups out of the Slasher in order to get the sounds you like out of the green beastie.

Shoot, go ahead and put the SG pickups into the Slasher, and see how that sounds.

It would at least make the metal guitar complete for resale later on.

[tongue]

It's been my modus operandi to buy a crapload of things and sell off what I don't want and hopefully end up having little or nothing into the item(s) I keep.

Go ahead and rob the pickups out of the thrasher but then make the thrasher functional and sell it. Whatever you get out of it, deduct from the $135 you laid out for the pair and I think you'll be very happy with the result.

Well, I was hoping you guys would see it my way. If it was a Slasher FX I would think twice, there were only 200 of those from what I hear. They had switchable chorus and distortion IN the guitar, and four knobs. This is the little brother of the FX, with only two knobs, but it shares the same pickups. Alright, that's the ticket then. If I go out today, hopefully there will be someplace open that sells soldering irons and solder. Mine only gets hot on one side of the tip, and takes forever to do that even. Somewhere in this old house, there is a plastic tub with all of my old guitar stuff in it, and there's probably a barely used iron in there, and a Gotoh roller bridge, and several things I have probably forgotten about. One is an old humbucker pickup that came out of my frankenstein tele. It was the best distortion pickup ever, and I don't think it has any kind of brand name on it. Hook up a cranked Metal Zone to it, and it sounds like a hair band guitar, lol. Poison, etc...

Oddly enough, I do know where my solder sucker is, lol!

Just went on a search. Sigh... I found one cream colored Strat pickup cover, a Fender pick, and an Ernie ball pick. Somewhere is the original pickups and pickguard for my Strat, the bridge, the humbucker, and all of that stuff. I will probably find it after I buy everything again, lol.

LMAO, but yeah the lost humbucker sounds like this sort of. What I can't figure out, is how CC played like 4-5 different guitars during the lead solo, lol.

Because CC is an under appreciated god!

I haven't ever seen a Slasher in the flesh, but do they use full size humbuckers and not the minis that regular Fierbirds do?

Archived