Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a kosher Gibson Les paul?

Hi all,

Looking at the Bay here in Oz and this came up:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=162190843618&fromMakeTrack=true

Seller is a 'no history' ebayer so I asked for pic of the Serial number and got this (see below)

I've never seen one like this before. Is this a variation of date stamping that Gibson ever used? Or is it a 'buyer beware' tag?

Any help here would be much appreciated. Guitardater (I know) says

"Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Or Nashville Plant, USA

in 1976

Production Number: 235174"

Looks iffy to me but hoping someone out there could enlighten me on this.

I've spotted two fake Slash 08 AFD Chibsons this last year, but this one's a new one on me.

post-59416-062106500 1473082208_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=162190843618&fromMakeTrack=true

Seller is a 'no history' ebayer so I asked for pic of the Serial number and got this (see below)

I've never seen one like this before. Is this a variation of date stamping that Gibson ever used? Or is it a 'buyer beware' tag?

in 1976

I've spotted two fake Slash 08 AFD Chibsons this last year, but this one's a new one on me.

Looks absolutely like a mid 70's LP to me. Looks in good shape too.

Johnny

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

The guitar on the pictures has correct Norlin-era details: serial number in format of "00 XXXXXX" for model year 1976, pointy cutaway, wider headstock, 3-piece maple top.

It looks to be a genuine Gibson Les Paul guitar.

Good luck... Bence

Hi all,

in 1976

I would be VERY careful with this one and maybe even talk with the seller about the shipping and return policy.

He/She shows a ZERO return policy and has not identified a US carrier for shipping which is probably more suspect to me.

Postage and handling

FROM LISTING "The seller has not specified a postage method to United States. Contact the seller- opens in a new window or tab and request postage to your location.

Item location: Thomastown, VIC, Australia

Posting to: Australia "

I would be VERY careful with this one and maybe even talk with the seller about the shipping and return policy.

He/She shows a ZERO return policy and has not identified a US carrier for shipping which is probably more suspect to me.

Postage and handling

FROM LISTING "The seller has not specified a postage method to United States. Contact the seller- opens in a new window or tab and request postage to your location.

Item location: Thomastown, VIC, Australia

Posting to: Australia "

Hi, and thanks for the advice.

The zero status is a red flag, but I'm in Australia too, and won't part with any money before getting the guitar in my hands and conducting a 'forensic' examination. I've done a little research and have a fair idea of what to look for, but restassured, I'll be picking the LP in person.

Thanks again, Nighthawk

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's much appreciated. I've done my 'due diligence' research and now know what to look for (pancake construction etc).

If I bid and win I'll be traveling to pick up and inspect the guitar before parting with any cash.

I've been able to spot fakes before - such as this one posted in good faith by a Sydney pawn-broker:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gibson-Slash-Signature-Les-Paul-electric-guitar-2006-/182181006840?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=oNFFWfWjphU4rUf4QUsOvdIliS8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

He was horrified when I pointed out the numerous tiny details that make it wrong - such as the metal jack-plate instead of the cream plastic one on the original - but the main one was a serial number that was out by two years from the original Slash special edition year. He was also honest enough to pull the ad and give a serious talk to his buyers. But it's not the only one I've seen, hence my original question here.

Anyhoo, Thanks everyone.

Hi mate, fellow Aussie here. The seller has a 65 Melody Maker that looks like a 65 Melody Maker and a 79 Ibanez of some type for sale as well. Don't know what the story is, but he/she sure is no wordsmith when it comes to descriptions, nor a top photographer really either... Be interesting to see what it all goes for.

*** EDIT AU $1750 for the LP and $1180 for the MM - assuming both are fine I'd consider that 1/2 price for the LP and not bad for the MM. Neither are going to be worth a fortune in the future, but at least the seller was selling for decent value for money prices. [smile]

Archived