Gibson Brands Forums

2001 Les Paul Standard Raw Power EMGs?

Omnimanx1

Greetings all,

I am purchasing a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard Raw Power. This is being purchased at Reverb. I see in the description and the photos that it has EMG 81 and 85 PUPS. I emailed the seller ( Sam Ash ) and the shop that sold it to Sam Ash and asked if the PUPs were original equipment. Both replied in writing that the PUPS were indeed original. I however cannot find a single example of another 2001 with EMGs. I found many other serial numbers of Raw Powers from before and after the manufacturer date of the one I am purchasing. All were equipped with 490/498.

Can anyone here tell me if the PUPs in this guitar are stock please?

https://reverb.com/item/2298195-gibson-raw-power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9O4t3uRrPI

Here is Gibson's response to my spec sheet inquiry:

GC-MD-gibson-15-06-04.png

Gibson just sanded it and applied a clear sealer, and that's it. It looks great and will appeal to those players who like it natural. Features a gorgeous, bound, carved maple top on a mahogany body with a bound, rounded mahogany neck. Fat and fluid tone comes from an EMG 85 neck and EMG 81 bridge humbuckers. Chrome hardware with tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar.

Features

· Clear natural finish

· Carved maple top

· Mahogany body and neck

· Bound top and fretboard

· Trapezoid fretboard inlays

· EMG 85 and EMG 81 humbucking pickups with three-way switch ( or chrome covered 490R and 498T humbuckers)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Standard-Raw-Power-Electric-Guitar.gc

The link is the same as provided by the first answer I got on this chain. I still don't see what year that link is for however. I contacted GC and they could not tell me.

So it seems that this may be a bit of a rare Les Paul..... Less than 200 made in 2000 and 2001 total. Only the ones that were Guitar Center Exclusives had the EMGs. Let's be generous and say that is 25% of the 200... This would be a 1 of 50 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Interesting huh?

Interesting indeed...

And yes there arnt that many of those guitars about.. Also in the links I found to the shops.. If you look there are actually two different pictures that they have, one with chrome covers one with the black covers...

So it seems that the model did come with options for both. It seems this is the best answer you are going to get.

So did you buy it then?

Interesting indeed...

And yes there arnt that many of those guitars about.. Also in the links I found to the shops.. If you look there are actually two different pictures that they have, one with chrome covers one with the black covers...

So it seems that the model did come with options for both. It seems this is the best answer you are going to get.

So did you buy it then?

I did indeed buy it. Should be delivered tomorrow 9/8 to my home. I have a feeling your right that this will be the best answer I will get. The history I discovered already in reverse is this, Reverb.com List for sale, Sam Ash buys from owner of Grumpy Guitars, Grumpy Guitars buys it from a guy that worked at........wait for it............Guitar Center in Boston. Did he buy in there? No clue....But all arrows are pointing to it.

I did indeed buy it. Should be delivered tomorrow 9/8 to my home. I have a feeling your right that this will be the best answer I will get. The history I discovered already in reverse is this, Reverb.com List for sale, Sam Ash buys from owner of Grumpy Guitars, Grumpy Guitars buys it from a guy that worked at........wait for it............Guitar Center in Boston. Did he buy in there? No clue....But all arrows are pointing to it.

Ohh nice one.....

Come and stick some pics up for us when it arrives and let us know how it is... [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

Guitar Arrived in a FENDER BOX!!! On 9/9 as promised to me.

The EMGs are dated 2008 so they are not the original pickups nor have a seen yet a single example of a 200 or 2001 with EMGs.

I replaced the Machine heads in the pics with Chrome Grovers.

Replacing the pots/pickups/all wiring with a set of 2015 Burstbucker Pros with PCB. A great friend is sending them to me soon. Once I have them installed I will add more pics.

After some adjustments to the bridge, Tail, and a new set of strings to replace the RUSTED ones on it.... The sound is quite good even through the EMGs... Should sound perfect when I get the Burstys in !!!

Pics:

tDSSOlH.jpg

w6DejBy.jpg?1

tS5Pt0q.jpg?2

ZD1ARdH.jpg

am50Vdf.jpg

Archived