Gibson Brands Forums

Saving for a Les Paul standard but not sure what approach to take

Adam M

I am really happy with my 2016 studio it's a guitar I wish to keep forever but will add a Standard to my collection but I am in no rush to do this. it will be something in the next year or so. maybe sooner depends on what comes up.

I am torn between buying a brand new model then I know it's mine from new or perhaps finding a used guitar that's a bit older for a good price. I've seen some great 90's ones for reasonable prices on ebay etc. though it could be a bit of a gamble. Though I like guitars that have a bit of character that have have been played but not a relic as such.

In the meantime I am still searching for a Les Paul junior. I have not found the right deal yet to paul the trigger.

What approach did you take when making this kind of choice?

It's all down to your confidence. Why do you want a Standard? A traditional or classic are good choices.

Plus, why all Gibson? There are some great guitars out there.

I am not sure why recently I have gone a bit Gibson crazy but there is space for other guitars. I do wish to buy a decent telecaster at some point.

There is something about the Les Paul junior I really like I love the tone of the P-90 and the simplicity.

But you are right I was looking at some Les Paul classics and they look really nice.

Well generally the best advice is (and is obvious) that you should go out and try as many as possible... Its the only real way to know what you like and don't like....

But in general you can slim down your choice by neck profile and pickup type... That will narrow your selection down a bit.. You have two general types on a Gibson.. A fatter 50s neck and a slim taper neck (and also they use a slim asymmetrical neck these days too). Then, what sort of pickups do you want.. Hotter or more mellow...

After that I guess it then comes down to looks....

The thing about guitars is that mostly they are hand finished (definitely all USA made guitars and even a lot of Asian ones to) so that means each neck and set up is just ever so slightly different (and those small differences makes a big difference to a player).. Which is why you really have to go out and try as many as you can.. Even try some of the same model.. Say you find one you mostly like but you don't quite feel its as playable as you want, ask if they have another of the same model in the back you can try... you will be surprised just how different each one can be.

So yes, as you say, take your time... its well worth the effort to find "The One" but I can assure you, when you do, you will know it instantly.... Good luck [thumbup] and feel free to ask whatever you want.

It's all down to your confidence. Why do you want a Standard? A traditional or classic are good choices.

Plus, why all Gibson? There are some great guitars out there.

I'm with Larry. You'll find that a Standard (or Trad or Classic) are fairly close in tonal and playing terms to your existing LP Studio. A Strat, Superstrat, Tele or Archtop will give you something quite different. However, I can see the argument for an SG (more attack/bite and a different playing experience) or the P90 equipped Junior you mentioned if you do want to stick with Gibson (perhaps due to the scale, 12" fretboard radius, sustain and build quality).

Yeah ive never really understood the price difference between the Classic and Trad and a Standard...

They really are just as good in every way as a Standard....

I know they may use more flamed tops but I don't think that can justify the price difference alone...

I am really happy with my 2016 studio it's a guitar I wish to keep forever but will add a Standard to my collection but I am in no rush to do this. it will be something in the next year or so. maybe sooner depends on what comes up.

I am torn between buying a brand new model then I know it's mine from new or perhaps finding a used guitar that's a bit older for a good price. I've seen some great 90's ones for reasonable prices on ebay etc. though it could be a bit of a gamble. Though I like guitars that have a bit of character that have have been played but not a relic as such.

In the meantime I am still searching for a Les Paul junior. I have not found the right deal yet to paul the trigger.

What approach did you take when making this kind of choice?

I owned a couple studios, they were all great but the only one i regret selling was an alpine white one with a slim neck and ebony board. Thing sounded badass. Funny thing is i had the 1400 dollar studio with the 498 pickups, yet i prefered the burstbucker pros in the 800 dollar faded studios more. Just wasnt a fan of the chunky *** neck, im short with smaller hands i need slim necks so my hands dont cramp.

Then i found this one, a 2010 les paul standard gold top, it has the slim neck i crave and has burstbucker pros which are very nice paf clones. Is this my ideal rig? No, id prefer a non weight relief and ebony board so i may get a custom sometime in the future. Its not even my favorite pickups, which are 57 classics, but it is VERY nice sounding and feels great.

14087465_10209327181913204_753920438_o%201_zpszxdj6fdc.jpg

14089524_10209327053589996_826339391_n_zps0dx42nj5.jpg

Archived