Gibson Guitar Board: Hanging or Sitting - best stand - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hanging or Sitting - best stand Does hanging a guitar put undo pressure on the neck?

#1 User is offline   Singe.Sear 

• Group: Members

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

Seeing as how there is already a lot of stress on an SG neck at the nut has anyone any experience with sitting versus hanging guitar stands? Or putting a guitar for long term storage on a hanging wall stand? Just got a new SG after 32 years with the old one along with a stand that supports the guitar at the neck. Seemed like a good idea at the time although I'm nervous about the neck stress. Am I paranoid over nothing or should I invest in stands that the guitars sit on? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   capmaster 

• Fretboard Seizer
  • Locationnear Munich, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostSinge.Sear, on 05 September 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Seeing as how there is already a lot of stress on an SG neck at the nut has anyone any experience with sitting versus hanging guitar stands? Or putting a guitar for long term storage on a hanging wall stand? ...

Given a typical SG of 3.1 kgs respectively 6 lbs 13 oz and strung .010" - .046" in standard tuning, the total string tension is about fifteen times the guitar weight. I don't think you should worry about the weight's force share.

There are other more important points like always unplugging the cable at the guitars before putting them on a stand, or covering plastic parts of stand supports that get in contact with nitro finishes.
DVCVNT VOLENTEM FATA NOLENTEM TRAHVNT
(The Fates lead the willing and drag those who are unwilling.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

#3 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

Nothing to fear,

....except not anchoring the wall hanger properly..

Be worried about that!!
/Ray

#4 User is offline   Singe.Sear 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

View Postcapmaster, on 05 September 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Given a typical SG of 3.1 kgs respectively 6 lbs 13 oz and strung .010" - .046" in standard tuning, the total string tension is about fifteen times the guitar weight. I don't think you should worry about the weight's force share.

There are other more important points like always unplugging the cable at the guitars before putting them on a stand, or covering plastic parts of stand supports that get in contact with nitro finishes.

And here I though I was going to get a lot of opinions instead of a rigorous proof. You nailed it! Thanks for the perspective.

#5 User is offline   Singe.Sear 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

View Postkidblast, on 06 September 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

Nothing to fear,

....except not anchoring the wall hanger properly..

Be worried about that!!

Yep, very worried. However I live in Costa Rica in a cement block house. Cement block and the right size mollies seem like they could easily hold that five neck monster Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick plays. I've got my original Epiphone acoustic from 1973 and my first SG made around the same time hung up in a dehumidified closet. Thanks for posting.

#6 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostSinge.Sear, on 06 September 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

Yep, very worried. However I live in Costa Rica in a cement block house. Cement block and the right size mollies seem like they could easily hold that five neck monster Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick plays. I've got my original Epiphone acoustic from 1973 and my first SG made around the same time hung up in a dehumidified closet. Thanks for posting.

yea, you should be able to get that done. I have 5 or 6 hangers in my music room, the walls are covered tongue and groove wood, where the wood is about 1/2" thick, nailed to the studs. I can put a hanger any where I want, they've been there for about 12 / 13 years now. Nothing moves. good luck with the setup!
/Ray

#7 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

The best stand, after mods to protect the guitar's finish, is - IMHO - the one that won't fall over and won't let the guitar fall out.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users