Gibson Brands Forums: Is there such a beast as a ES345 without the Vari-Tone Switch - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there such a beast as a ES345 without the Vari-Tone Switch

#1 User is offline   MulliganAl 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 01-September 16

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

I ask because I see one on the Sweetwater site but wonder since it has all the appointments of a ES345 but no switch.

http://www.sweetwate...415SCGH/sn52026
0

#2 User is offline   powerwagonjohn 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 242
  • Joined: 11-May 10

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

Apparently, but what's the point? A ES-335 with different inlays?
Thanks John
0

#3 User is offline   Jayyj 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 660
  • Joined: 13-January 12

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

I can understand it: the 355 sells well in the mono configuration and lots of people prefer rosewood to ebony, so it figures there might be a small market for people who want a flashier 335 without the ebony board.

In fact, since 355s currently have Richlite boards, given how much unhappiness there is over Richlite on posher guitars there's probably a few customers who would pick this mono 345 over a Richlite 355 for that reason as well.

This is the first run of 345s I can remember seeing without the varitone dial - perhaps a special run ordered by Sweetwater?
0

#4 User is offline   MulliganAl 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 01-September 16

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

 Jayyj, on 06 September 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

I can understand it: the 355 sells well in the mono configuration and lots of people prefer rosewood to ebony, so it figures there might be a small market for people who want a flashier 335 without the ebony board.

In fact, since 355s currently have Richlite boards, given how much unhappiness there is over Richlite on posher guitars there's probably a few customers who would pick this mono 345 over a Richlite 355 for that reason as well.

This is the first run of 345s I can remember seeing without the varitone dial - perhaps a special run ordered by Sweetwater?


I asked the folks at Sweetwater and they didn't seem to know either.
0

#5 User is offline   kaicho8888 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 687
  • Joined: 22-January 08
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Geeze, another slight variation trying appeal to some possible market.

I suppose manufacturers have to come up with new or modified products to survive yearly... and also help you lighten your wallets.
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長
0

#6 User is offline   MulliganAl 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 01-September 16

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

 kaicho8888, on 06 September 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

Geeze, another slight variation trying appeal to some possible market.

I suppose manufacturers have to come up with new or modified products to survive yearly... and also help you lighten your wallets.




Well, my rep with Sweetwater will let me have it for just over $3,000 but I need to make a decision by the end of the work day in order to get the 36 months free financing. Decisions decisions the pressure is on. The only problems I have is if I ever want to sell it how the hell would I describe it and who would buy it? Would I just be better off with a standard ES345 at the same price?
1

#7 User is offline   FZ Fan 

  • Did A Vehicle Come From Somewhere Out There
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7767
  • Joined: 15-October 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

No sir I don't like it.
0

#8 User is offline   SteveFord 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2573
  • Joined: 04-March 08
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

Nah, save your money.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it
0

#9 User is offline   powerwagonjohn 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 242
  • Joined: 11-May 10

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

The varitone is the reason I bought a ES-345.That and the good deal I got from Trent at Professional Music in IA !
Thanks John
0

#10 User is offline   capmaster 

  • Fretboard Seizer
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9789
  • Joined: 18-May 12
  • Locationnear Munich, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

 powerwagonjohn, on 06 October 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

The varitone is the reason I bought a ES-345.That and the good deal I got from Trent at Professional Music in IA !
Thanks John

ES-345 means including Varitone switch to me, too. [thumbup]
DVCVNT VOLENTEM FATA NOLENTEM TRAHVNT
(The Fates lead the willing and drag those who are unwilling.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
0

#11 User is offline   Pin 

  • Thread Killer
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1562
  • Joined: 25-September 11
  • LocationSouthend, Essex

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

 capmaster, on 06 October 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

ES-345 means including Varitone switch to me, too. [thumbup]


Quite.

An ES345 without a Varitone is a walk-on-by for me.
GUITARS: 1978 Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; 1974 Yamaha AE12 jazz box; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone SG400; HK Steinberger copy; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects, synths and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.
0

#12 User is offline   TOMAS POBLADOR 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 06-November 16

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:51 PM

In Chicago music exchange there is a great offer : 2600$ for a 345 without the varotine , is a 335 with different inlays in the freatboard that's it
0

#13 User is offline   WildBillMojo 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 11-June 16

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

The Varitone is a wonderfull thing used correctly IMHO. BB King and Freddy King seemed to like it too.......
0

#14 User is offline   Twang Gang 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1379
  • Joined: 26-November 12
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

 TOMAS POBLADOR, on 08 November 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

In Chicago music exchange there is a great offer : 2600$ for a 345 without the varotine , is a 335 with different inlays in the freatboard that's it


and Gold hardware which you don't see very often on 335s unless it's a Custom Shop model, and that would probably be more expensive. No longer available through Sweetwater, so they must have sold what they had to someone.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2018 Taylor 814 CE DLX (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2
0

#15 User is offline   gnappi 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 313
  • Joined: 07-November 12
  • LocationSoutheast Florida (USA)

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:32 AM

If you want a 345 without VT, it's likely because of the fret markers, then a Eastman T-486 will do that at 1/2 (or less) the price :-) The 345 is thankfully what it is and hasn't changed unlike the model of the week some of the Gibson line.




Regards,

Gary
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users