Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Fret Markers

screwylewy

In regards to the Ultra 3 Les Paul

You weren't very clear. Is the Epiphone site correct? The inlays are pearloid and not MOP?

If yes

Then I am pissed off. You might be (I think you are) responsible for the vendors adds since you supplied them. In regards to your quote " we have no control over any errant information they may post"

Zzounds, Sweetwater, Guitar Center and Musician's Friend all say "Mother-of-Pearl" I haven't checked all your vendors but with all I checked It is clear it is a supplied manufactures description since they are all identical.

Please be assured I will send a message to all of them and add reviews of the item being listed with a false statement. How many guitars have just these vendors sold to costumers that think they have a guitar with real mother of pearl.

I may return the one I just received but not because of the MOP issue. It is not and was not playable out of the box as advertised for all Gibson and Epiphone Guitars. The set up is not even close to specs. The nut height is high the action is high and I have found frets that are high. And it still buzzes! I thik the guys at the factory must be high and I guess at Gibson where the guitars are inspected aren't checking set up.

If I didn't have the ability to do a fret job myself and the finish wasn't as immaculate as it is it would be in the box on it's way back to the vendor instead of sitting in a stand while I contemplate doing a days work leveling and polishing the rough frets and cleaning some sharp edges!

Oh yea almost forgot why are the two volume knobs so easy to turn you can almost blow on them and they will turn but the tone knob is real stiff and the push push button fells proper. 4 knobs and three very different tensions. Is that right?

Please tell me what you think, do I have the right to be pissed? I will cool it for now and just look at this beautiful guitar until I hear form you and hold off on any letter writing campaigns since I am a retired disabled vet and take joy interacting with very large company's as a consumer advocate doing my part for truth justice and the American way just like Superman.

In regards to the Ultra 3 Les Paul

You weren't very clear. Is the Epiphone site correct? The inlays are pearloid and not MOP?

If yes

Then I am pissed off. You might be (I think you are) responsible for the vendors adds since you supplied them. In regards to your quote " we have no control over any errant information they may post"

Zzounds, Sweetwater, Guitar Center and Musician's Friend all say "Mother-of-Pearl" I haven't checked all your vendors but with all I checked It is clear it is a supplied manufactures description since they are all identical.

Please be assured I will send a message to all of them and add reviews of the item being listed with a false statement. How many guitars have just these vendors sold to costumers that think they have a guitar with real mother of pearl.

I may return the one I just received but not because of the MOP issue. It is not and was not playable out of the box as advertised for all Gibson and Epiphone Guitars. The set up is not even close to specs. The nut height is high the action is high and I have found frets that are high. And it still buzzes! I thik the guys at the factory must be high and I guess at Gibson where the guitars are inspected aren't checking set up.

If I didn't have the ability to do a fret job myself and the finish wasn't as immaculate as it is it would be in the box on it's way back to the vendor instead of sitting in a stand while I contemplate doing a days work leveling and polishing the rough frets and cleaning some sharp edges!

Oh yea almost forgot why are the two volume knobs so easy to turn you can almost blow on them and they will turn but the tone knob is real stiff and the push push button fells proper. 4 knobs and three very different tensions. Is that right?

Please tell me what you think, do I have the right to be pissed? I will cool it for now and just look at this beautiful guitar until I hear form you and hold off on any letter writing campaigns since I am a retired disabled vet and take joy interacting with very large company's as a consumer advocate doing my part for truth justice and the American way just like Superman.

send it back.

Just to throw it out there, changes in temperature and humidity can the neck the expand or contract. The guitar could have left the assembly line just fine but during the time either in the warehouse of the factory overseas or in the warehouse of the supplier or retailer the guitar could have evolved to that condition.

The seller should inspect the guitar before they send it to you. (I'm assuming you didn't play the guitar first of course)

There is also the chance that on the way from the seller to you the guitar expanded or contracted as well.

Not to excuse the poor shape of the guitar when you got it, but a lot of people here including myself will tell you that a set up is the first thing they do after purchasing a guitar just to get it set up to how you like it.

As far as the MOP goes...if you think the guitar just needs a set up you could contact the seller and ask for some sort of refund because of the misinformation.

Sorry to hear of the crappy setup and quality control issues. As has been said though, most and I mean MOST new guitars require a proper professional setup so they can start out at the optimum specs. That nearly always will include a close look at fret levels and nut slots. This is SOP these days if you are intent on getting a new guitar to play as well as possible. I've encountered these issues on Fenders, Gibsons, Epiphones as well as others. Nothing new.

Of course there are exceptions, I've had those as well, great guitars right out of the box, but not often.

As for inaccurate descriptions and just plain lying from sellers, go get 'em screwylewy! :)

I recently made a trip to GC, looking at new Epiphones. Over half of the LP's I held had jagged edges of frets sticking out of the sides of the neck. Half of those again had playability issues. Very high action, etc. Some of them were okay. As humid as it is on the gulf coast, no guitars should have ends of the frets sticking out past the sides of the neck. I was not impressed. Fit and finish looked okay, but I would not be happy spending money on top of the purchase so I didn't have to feel the ends of the frets digging into my hands. :unsure:

I recently made a trip to GC, looking at new Epiphones. Over half of the LP's I held had jagged edges of frets sticking out of the sides of the neck. Half of those again had playability issues. Very high action, etc. Some of them were okay. As humid as it is on the gulf coast, no guitars should have ends of the frets sticking out past the sides of the neck. I was not impressed. Fit and finish looked okay, but I would not be happy spending money on top of the purchase so I didn't have to feel the ends of the frets digging into my hands. :unsure:

My Gibson LP Studio had a similar problem. I took it to my tech (who was an authorized Gibson repair station) and the frets were fixed under warranty. If you otherwise like the guitar, this is may be a possibility.

Archived