Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Custom fake question.

stax

I know I can sift through loads of search results but would appreciate the knowledge of the experts for a quick answer.

I bought my LP Custom a while ago in good faith and now want to sell it but it appears to be a fake according to a message I received, the font and amount of numbers on the serial no and also the domed tailpiece screws are apparently not right, can I get a quick yes or no so I can either take it off ebay or leave it on as I'm not looking to rip off some kid.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152233104069?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I wouldn't pay over 1,200 pounds for a Chinese made epiphone les paul fake or not. Good luck fetching that amount sir. [thumbup] [thumbup]

I changed the price so no one would buy it while it was being discussed,I had it up for £265.

Hello and welcome to the board.

As already mentioned, the price is way too high. They go brand-new for slightly over BP 450: https://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_custom_black.htm

The body shape looks off in particular at the neck joint. Real Les Paul guitar backs are perfectly straight there. Take a look at the respective pics in the above link and you'll know what I mean. :unsure:

The font of the serial number is questionable although the number of figures would basically match. It says the guitar was made in February 2010 at the Qingdao factory in China. It can be a fake though, with the serial number copied from a real one. The factory code of the guitar shown in the Thomann link says she was made by Samick in Indonesia.

Epiphone tailpiece posts typically have an even top. I never encountered domed ones at least.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you... [crying]

I actually typed in the serial number and the exact same one came up in another "is it fake" thread, this time it was a Slash model so that settles it and the ebay listing is down, I'll just have to keep it.

Still I've learnt enough in the last 24 hours to proberbly not do it again lol.

Funny old day trying to sort out my dodgy Les Paul while my mate is on the phone telling me about the new Les Paul Gibson are making for him, lucky man [biggrin] .

If I were in the business of making fake guitars, I wouldn't waste my time faking an epiphone...it would seem like the profit margin would be too low for the risk....but I guess that's why I don't make fake guitars! [flapper]

Sorry to hear its fake man....looks like you're stuck with it.

If I were in the business of making fake guitars, I wouldn't waste my time faking an epiphone...it would seem like the profit margin would be too low for the risk....but I guess that's why I don't make fake guitars! [flapper]

Sorry to hear its fake man....looks like you're stuck with it.

Google "Chinese Les Paul" sometime - the fakes wholesale for $175 - $400 or so depending on the model. Even if you sell them as used or discounted you can still get a 200% or better markup. Parts too - you can buy 100 fake black Speed Knobs for $50 and sell them for over $250. That's a lot of markup.

Sorry you ended up with a fake. It seems one of the giveaways on most fakes of modern Gibson Les Pauls (and by extension it seems the Epi's as well) can't get the stop bar tail piece distance right. This one is too far back. The stop bar on my 2014 Traditional Pro is further forward than the neck volume dial, whereas yours appears to be in the middle of it.

Like everyone here, I can't understand why anyone would fake an Epiphone, surely it can't be economically viable. [confused] But before writing it off permanently (who knows, your serial number may actually be the one other fakes have copied!) I'd have a chat with Gibson's customer service just to make sure.

Google "Chinese Les Paul" sometime - the fakes wholesale for $175 - $400 or so depending on the model. Even if you sell them as used or discounted you can still get a 200% or better markup. Parts too - you can buy 100 fake black Speed Knobs for $50 and sell them for over $250. That's a lot of markup.

Is it worth the risk though? a 2,000% mark up may be more worth the risk of getting caught as compared to maybe getting double the cost with a fake epiphone.

I dunno...just food for thought.

Archived