Gibson Brands Forums

1963 ES-175: Does this tailpiece look right for this year?

v281

I have an opportunity to buy this 1963 ES-175.

Wondering if this is the genuine tailpiece it came with or not as I can´t seem to find any pictures of this kind of tailpiece on the net?

1963.Gibson_ES175_zpsn07lr1ci.jpg

Can anyone tell from the picture?

Wish I had more pictures to show you, but this is all I´ve got at this time :-(

Would also appreciate hearing any thoughts you may have regarding what might be considered a fair price for this guitar.

Advance thanks for you help on this :-)

v281

Thanks for your reply L5Larry, I suspected as much, but it's good to get confirmation from someone with experience in these things :-)

The three things I immediately noticed when I first saw the picture:

1) The tailpiece didn´t look like anything I'd ever seen on an ES-175

2) The missing pickguard

3) The wear in the finish below the neck pick-up (would that be a normal area to rest your hand when playing?)

The current owner inherited it from his father who used to play with a well known band in our country in the 60's (his story checks out).

I´m quite tempted to pursue this further, and am wondering what might be considered a fair price.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Advance thanks,

v281

After doing some more research I´ve come to the conclusion that the tailpiece is from a German guitar, either a Framus or a Hoyer, from the same time period (have found a few on eBay and pics floating around on the net with an identical looking tailpiece.

The current owner said he found the missing pickguard so I´ll get that with the guitar (assuming it's the correct one, it might be from another archtop).

Still wondering what a reasonable price for this guitar might be (just looking for a ballpark estimate).

Anyone care to hazard a guess or provide some guidance?

Advance thanks,

v281

After doing some more research I´ve come to the conclusion that the tailpiece is from a German guitar, either a Framus or a Hoyer, from the same time period (have found a few on eBay and pics floating around on the net with an identical looking tailpiece.

The current owner said he found the missing pickguard so I´ll get that with the guitar (assuming it's the correct one, it might be from another archtop).

Still wondering what a reasonable price for this guitar might be (just looking for a ballpark estimate).

Anyone care to hazard a guess or provide some guidance?

Advance thanks,

v281

well that depends... if the pickups have been changed out.. its a 1500 to 2200 guitar.. U.S.. if the pickups are original.. maybe add an extra 2000.00 U.S... and from what it looks like.. the pickup covers are kind of shiney.... alot of people are swapping those parts out.. even the old p90s are getting raped from the es Guitars..

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies and input guys. Wound up passing on the deal as I got a hold of additional pictures which showed more wear and tear on the body of the guitar than the picture of the front might have suggested. Also the pickups were definitely not original.

The search continues :-)

Archived