Gibson Brands Forums

Have all you Les Paul owners got bad backs now ?

hu3436

Went into a store in York, UK today, and tried a Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 against a Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus, i'm comparing them against my Les Paul Epiphone Special which seemingly weighs nothing in comparison.

The Tribute was a little lighter than the Gibson which just seemed overly heavy for a guitar to the point i was struggling to hold it and play i definitely needed a strap lol.

The wife of a pro guitarist bandmate of mine, height 1.60 m resp. 5 ft 3" and weight 48 kgs resp. just under 105 lbs, mother of two, is a pro accordion player and plays one like these strapped over her shoulders for hours, being 9.8 kgs resp. 21 lb 10 oz:

329693.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hohner_atlantic_iv_120_p_musette.htm

My bandmate, 1.85 m resp. slightly over 6 ft 1" and 86 kgs resp. circa 189 lbs 9 oz, a downright excellent guitarist, says he would feel ashamed to complain about the weight of any guitar.

TBH I feel fortunate my Cheap Epiphone weighs so little, as i like messing about on it and practicing playing standing in my living room.

I think its a good way for people to get into Les Paul guitars and once your good enough to play a real one i suppose the weight may only become an issue if you play out ?

The only thing I need to feel comfortable with a Les Paul guitar is strap locks. LPs are so nicely balanced that the weight simply is not a problem for me. Of course I also like a nice, wide strap, but I do so with any other guitar or bass, too.

In answer to the question posed; No.

...tried a Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016......I'm comparing them against my Les Paul Epiphone Special...
didnt they have any that were more weight relieved?
I didn't think to try one weight relieved...

I don't think you've quite picked-up on what m-e was saying.

The 2016 Trad IS weight-relieved ('traditional' 9-hole) but all Gibson's Les Paul model weight-relieved guitars vary in mass from one to the next due to variations of timber density etc.

I think what m-e means is did you try any others to see whether there were any more to your liking as far as weight goes.

Also, as you obviously realise, comparing any 'normal' carved-top against a LP Special is hardly comparing like with like although there are some 'Standard'-looking models which you may find to be much more attractive. The chambered versions can be fairly light, for example. Try to find a Chambered Standard (from memory these would be post circa 2008?) and you should be pleasantly surprised.

Pip.

The wife of a pro guitarist bandmate of mine, height 1.60 m resp. 5 ft 3" and weight 48 kgs resp. just under 105 lbs, mother of two, is a pro accordion player and plays one like these strapped over her shoulders for hours, being 9.8 kgs resp. 21 lb 10 oz:

329693.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hohner_atlantic_iv_120_p_musette.htm

My bandmate, 1.85 m resp. slightly over 6 ft 1" and 86 kgs resp. circa 189 lbs 9 oz, a downright excellent guitarist, says he would feel ashamed to complain about the weight of any guitar.

What a great post. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Nobody ever said that guitar playing is easy.

rct

Damn right.

To answer the OP, my back is fine, its my hearing that is giving me trouble.

The lightest of my 2 Les pauls is just under 10lbs and it makes me smile when guys more heavily built than me (I'm 5' 10'' and 150 lbs) tell me they love the sound of Les Pauls but find them too heavy to play for any length of time. It doesn't make them wrong (or wimps), just shows that people's preferences vary.

I think it just depends what you are used to or what you are expecting. If you find one that you love I think you'll find that if you buy it, the more you play it the less you'll notice how much it weighs.

The lightest of my 2 Les pauls is just under 10lbs and it makes me smile when guys more heavily built than me (I'm 5' 10'' and 150 lbs) tell me they love the sound of Les Pauls but find them too heavy to play for any length of time. It doesn't make them wrong (or wimps), just shows that people's preferences vary.

I think it just depends what you are used to or what you are expecting. If you find one that you love I think you'll find that if you buy it, the more you play it the less you'll notice how much it weighs.

Very good post! [thumbup]

Went into a store in York, UK today, and tried a Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 against a Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus, i'm comparing them against my Les Paul Epiphone Special which seemingly weighs nothing in comparison.

The Tribute was a little lighter than the Gibson which just seemed overly heavy for a guitar to the point i was struggling to hold it and play i definitely needed a strap lol.

That, that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger LOL

A nice wide strap never hurt either.

Johnny

Already have a bad/trick neck from 3 (yes 3!) car accidents where I was rear-ended. So heavy LPs do wear on my poor neck & shoulder. In fact, I just sold one that was almost 10lbs so I could buy one that is 8.62lbs. It seems that under 9lbs is the trick for me... I seem to bear them well if I can get them under that. I could never lug around one of those 12-13lbs Norlins. Good gravy! [flapper]

Archived