Gibson Brands Forums

At last! Epi 6832 Blue Label !!!

Aoresteen

After a very long search at last I have found a 1971ish Epi 6832 blue label! This is the guitar I had when I was stationed at Ft. Devens in 1971-72. The 6832 is an 000 size. I have an FT-135 000 that I restored about 5 years ago but I wanted a genuine 6832 as well.

I also restored an FT-165 12 string:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/83255-epiphone-ft-165-12-string/page__p__1139461__hl__ft-135__fromsearch__1#entry1139461

The 6832 is a blue label Epiphone. It was renamed the FT-135 around 1972.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/1970-71_Model_Series

I bought the 6832 off of eBay for $115 plus $33 shipping eBay item 112120078988.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112120078988?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has the typical neck block issues and a number of top cracks. Nothing that can't be repaired. I ordered a Fishman Infinity Matrix pickup ($140) for it.

Tom Dodson will handle the repairs like he did on my FT-165 12 string. The bridge slot will be filled and a new 1/8" slot cut for a bone saddle & the Fishman under saddle pickup. Tom will set it up for 12-52 size strings.

When its all done I'll post some new photos. For now see the eBay photos.

• 1 month later...

I first bought my Epi 6832 around Oct 1971 from a music shop in Wooster MA while I was stationed at Ft Devens MA. Cost was $85 with NO case (that is about $505 in today's money). Here I am in Jan 1972 playing my first Epiphone 6832 000 guitar in a talent show at Ft. Devens:

epi%202%20ajo%20small_zpsrcxbdqcr.jpg

For the record, I was playing guitar in a top hat way before Slash ever thought about it :) !

In March 1972 I sold the 6832 to an Army buddy for $65 and was transfered to Ft. Hood, TX.

The 6832 tuning peg style, the lack of the E on the pick guard & truss cover are key differences from the later FT-135.

Here are the eBay photos for a 6832 that I bought as a 'luthier's project' :

top_zpsy5ncmwjx.jpg

label_zpstb4mqonk.jpg

sound%20hole%202_zps8iai1oio.jpg

The 6832 has the typical neck block issues, rosetta damage, and loose top braces etc. The bridge slot needed to filled and a routed for a bone saddle & a Fishman under the bridge pickup (Fishman Matrix Infinity). I took to guitar to Tom Dodson in Jackson GA who undertook the restoration.

The first surprise was that there were two long aluminum rails that were bolted under the bridge. We were not sure why or who had installed the rods. Further investigation revealed that the bridge plate had cracked and the rods were preventing the bridge from being pulled up. I decided to have the aluminum rods removed and the bridge plate replaced.

Old bridge plate:

Epi%206832%20bridge%20plate_zpsrdofam34.jpg

Tom made a new bridge plate out of maple wood similar to what a Martin D-28 would have. This further pushed the cost of repairs up but it is the correct way fix the guitar.

Tom had to re-glue the neck block, adjusted the neck, dressed the frets, filled the bridge slot, installed the Fishman Infinity Matrix under saddle pickup, installed a new bone saddle, replace the bridge pins etc. I did not replace the tuners as the style is unique and they are different than the tuners that Epiphone put on the later FT-135.

The guitar absolutely sounds great and plays perfectly! Tom Dodson did an amazing job with the repairs. He's has fixed my FT-135, my FT-165 12 string, and now my 6832. He knows how to make these removable neck Epiphones sing!

Economically, the repair made no sense. I paid $148 for the 6832, $140 for the Fishman pickup, and Tom's repairs came to $515. That's $703 for a guitar that has a top re-sale value of $300 max. A hard shell case will push the cost up another $125. It made total sense for me as now I have a 6832 that is ready to play anywhere, is properly set up, and is a guitar of my youth. I am very happy with it :) !

Epi%206832%20front_zpsyjyusgu8.jpg

Epi%206832%20top%201_zpsv5jvpzbb.jpg

Epi%206832%20top_zpsfszgfxad.jpg

All in all, the 6832 turned out great. And I have it's one-step down model, the 6732 000, with a pulled up bridge ready to go to Tom for a restoration as well :) !

• 2 weeks later...

I first bought my Epi 6832 around Oct 1971 from a music shop in Wooster MA while I was stationed at Ft Devens MA. Cost was $85 with NO case (that is about $505 in today's money).

The 6832 has the typical neck block issues, rosetta damage, and loose top braces etc.

The first surprise was that there were two long aluminum rails that were bolted under the bridge. We were not sure why or who had installed the rods. Further investigation revealed that the bridge plate had cracked and the rods were preventing the bridge from being pulled up.

Tom Dodson did an amazing job with the repairs.

All in all, the 6832 turned out great. And I have it's one-step down model, the 6732 000, with a pulled up bridge ready to go to Tom for a restoration as well :) !

Google JLD bridge doctor, they have a screw attach model and a brass pin model. They are a device designed to keep the soundboard from "lifting" at the bridge from string tension.

Does it look familiar to what you found inside the body of your guitar?

Cheers!!

Dugly

Google JLD bridge doctor, they have a screw attach model and a brass pin model. They are a device designed to keep the soundboard from "lifting" at the bridge from string tension.

Does it look familiar to what you found inside the body of your guitar?

Cheers!!

Dugly

Dugly,

No need for the JLD Bridge Doctor. With a corrected bridge plate and the top braces re-glued, the 6832 bridge is flat & stable. If you see the thread (post #17) on my Epi FT-165 12 string you will see that Tom installed a JLD Bridge Doctor in it to keep the bridge flat and from pulling up.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/83255-epiphone-ft-165-12-string/

Great item when needed! The aluminum rods are not anything like the Bridge Doctor.

Archived