Gibson Brands Forums

Craigslist UK guitars. A bit sceptical . Looking at vintage guitars.

Adam M

Craigslist isn't that popular in the UK compared to the US.

But I always have look from time to time.

There are always listings for vintage Gibson guitars at very good prices compared with ebay or a vintage guitar stores

They don't appear to look like fakes but obviously I can't trust photos.

For example what would a good condition 1956 Les Paul Junior be valued at? There is one on sale for £1700 / $2243

I am not sure what I am asking here :)

If I wanted to buy a guitar like this what would be the best way to appraoch it. I've seen Les Paul juniors from that period on ebay for example £3000-6000 I don't want to spend that much.

Id say if you want vintage, you really need to go see it in person and check it over... You need to become an expert in what to look for, like find out what was stock and see if anything has been altered... Obviously check the neck and headstock for signs of cracks or repairs.. That sort of stuff.

Apart from that, yeah id say that's a pretty fair price if it is indeed in good condition and hasn't been modded too bad....

For instance... Bonhams did an auction from Gary Moores estate not that long ago.. Check some of the prices that those guitars went for...

http://www.bonhams.com/search/?q=gary moore&main_index_key=lot#/q0=gary%2520moore&MR0_display=search&m0=0?q=gary%2Bmoore

Like that Melody Maker, went for £1375 but I really think that was too cheap...

Id say if you want vintage, you really need to go see it in person and check it over... You need to become an expert in what to look for, like find out what was stock and see if anything has been altered... Obviously check the neck and headstock for signs of cracks or repairs.. That sort of stuff.

Apart from that, yeah id say that's a pretty fair price if it is indeed in good condition and hasn't been modded too bad....

For instance... Bonhams did an auction from Gary Moores estate not that long ago.. Check some of the prices that those guitars went for... http://www.bonhams.com/search/?q=gary moore&main_index_key=lot#/q0=gary%2520moore&MR0_display=search&m0=0?q=gary%2Bmoore

Like that Melody Maker, went for £1375 but I really think that was too cheap...

Thanks. I would have bought it for that price in a second!

Can you recommend any places in the UK where I can get fair prices? any dealer or such. Denmark street is dead these days (not that it was a great place to get a good deal!)

It's not a purchase I am going to rush I just need the right deal to come along. I am going to have a look in Vegas whilst I am there in a December to see if there any good deals I think it's quite unlikely but I might end up picking up something else.

Can you recommend any places in the UK where I can get fair prices? any dealer or such. Denmark street is dead these days (not that it was a great place to get a good deal!)

It's not a purchase I am going to rush I just need the right deal to come along. I am going to have a look in Vegas whilst I am there in a December to see if there any good deals I think it's quite unlikely but I might end up picking up something else.

No, not really... As you say Denmark St isn't what it once was.. It did used to be a great place to get a deal, these days its a bit of a tourist trap though...

So sadly we are left with online mostly.. But there are certainly guitars put to auction which you could get at a good price (like that Gary Moore stuff) it literally depends on who turns up on the day and how bad they want a certain item... If you get lucky you can still get a good deal that way..

Donno, never tried to buy a vintage guitar myself before :)

Ok, ive been having a look around.. Check this site, some interesting stuff there

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/catalogue-preview-thursday-15th-september-2016/

I though this one was pretty interesting

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-140-1970s-gibson-midnight-special-electric-guitar-made-in-usa/

And a 70s LP Recording estimated at £1200-£1800

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-102-1970s-gibson-les-paul-recording-electric-guitar-made-in-usa/

This is great. looks like I will miss today's auction! but the one in December is very interesting I will keep an eye on what they list.

This is great. looks like I will miss today's auction! but the one in December is very interesting I will keep an eye on what they list.

Cool.. let us know if you get anything, and good luck on the hunt [thumbup] (and of course we expect pictures :))

These auctions have a 20% buyers fee plus vat at 20%. So a £500 guitar would be £720 because you'll pay vat on the buyers fee too.

These auctions have a 20% buyers fee plus vat at 20%. So a £500 guitar would be £720 because you'll pay vat on the buyers fee too.

And yet it would still probably be cheaper than buying in Denmark St or on Ebay these days...

:unsure:

Archived