Gibson Brands Forums

should i sell my swingster

JerseyRay

So, looking for some input. I'm shopping for a Gibson SG, and thinking of trading my 2014 epi swingster. I already have a 08 epi SG which I like. The swingster is bad ***, but I have not been playing it a lot. I tend to grab the SG. I'm thinking I may be kicking myself in the *** later. Also, I don't think this is a top seller, so I don't know how much longer epi will make them, it's designed to get some of the gretch market. If they drop production, could be worth more. What say ye....

Don't own one, so can't really comment on the particular guitar. That said, were it me, I'd keep it. It's an Epi original so to speak and while not going to be in the Gibby 59 LP range dollarwise, it will always be a player. My two cents, but what do I know? And between an SG and a Swingster, you really are talking apples and oranges, you know?

Ok, if you're very sure you want to trade a guitar for the Gibson, I'll cast my vote for trading the Epi SG on the Gibby, as having two SGs that cover very similar territory leaves you fewer options than having the wide spectrum of available tone between the Swingster and SG. I'm quite sure that the Gibby SG will be a milestone in terms of pride of ownership, feel, looks and playability. [thumbup]

Had a nice '72 SG years ago, wish I still had it.

I have a Swingster Royale, I don't play it a lot either but when I do, I'm glad I didn't sell it. (I've considered it a few times just because of the amount of time it sits idle) I also have a Chet Atkins Elitist that I don't play a ton, and I could probably get a good wad o cash for it, (maybe more than I paid in 2004..) but, the days I yank it out of the case, (it's a stunning looker) I appreciate it, and fall for all over it again.

am I helping? don't know... maybe not, but that's my 2cents.

Me, I'd keep the Swingster! I'd trade-in, the Epi SG, for the Gibson SG!

The Swingster is a nice guitar, with a kind of "Gretsch" vibe, as well.

You could make it even more so, later, if you wanted, by adding TV Jones

"Filter-Tron" pickups! Nice upgrade, at (still) a fraction of the cost

of a Pro quality Gretsch! But, that's just Me! [biggrin]

CB

Yup.... good point everyone, think I'll trade the SG. I really like it, alpine white.... but I'll take less of a beating and keep the swingster.... it is a really cool guitar.... the reason I want a Gibson SG is I want to add a Bigsby with a Chet Adkins trem bar like the swingster, but it's hard to put $ 250.00 into the epi SG. I'll have a 500 buck epi that I would only be able to sell for like 300, not that it makes much difference. I always loose money on guitars.... [thumbup]

Changed my mind again.... think I'll keep both and add the Bixby to the SG. She looks good, plays good, stays in tune, and sounds good... I'm sure 490's are clearer, but I can dial back the volume and clean up the sound easy enough if I want to.... so I'll have a 500 buck epi, but I don't really see any good reason to part with her. [thumbup]

That's a good option you've chosen. If you're going to keep it and play it like crazy, make it your own.

There are still plenty of other style guitars to add to your arsenal; LP, Tele, Jag, Coronet, Strat, etc. You never know what will catch your imagination next.

Post a couple pictures after you modify the SG. Sounds cool. I like a white guitar now and then.

Archived