Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson finish differences

Tehzim

I tried to search the forums for this but I didn't have much luck. Can someone tell me the difference between the faded finish on Gibsons and the satin finish on the Special T 2016 (the one with the mini humbuckers)? The cherry looks very similar to the faded. Will this satin finish fade and get darker like the faded models or is it sealed? I just don't see the point in paying extra for a finish that isn't that different. Thanks for your help.

Hello Tehzim, welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

I don't know about the 2016 satin finishes, but my the six of my Satin (as in my avatar), Vintage Gloss and Worn finished Gibsons don't have a clear coat. In contrary, all of my eleven High Gloss Gibsons have.

I don't know about the 2016 satin finishes, but my the six of my Satin (as in my avatar), Vintage Gloss and Worn finished Gibsons don't have a clear coat. In contrary, all of my eleven High Gloss Gibsons have.

So since they don't have clear coat they are basically the same finish? Like if I buy a satin cherry it will be the same as a faded cherry? I guess I'm sort of confused.

So since they don't have clear coat they are basically the same finish? Like if I buy a satin cherry it will be the same as a faded cherry? I guess I'm sort of confused.

I don't think the "satin" cherry is the same as a "faded" cherry. My '50s Tribute SG (in my avatar) is a "satin" sunburst finish. But "faded"? I am pretty certain, that refers to the actual shade of the color. Now, if you're asking if a faded" finish is glossy, or not, I am not 100% certain but I'd imagine it would not have a high gloss finish.

Looking at both the satin and the faded SGs on the Gibson web site, they both have "satin" listed as their finish type. The main difference I can see is the "satin" looks like a brighter more "cheery" cherry. [biggrin] The "faded" looks more "aged" or "dirty", for lack of a better term.

Faded:

SGSCWCCH1_BODY_FRONT_BACK.jpg

Satin (Special T):

SG70SCCH1_BODY_FRONT_BACK.jpg

Good luck! Hope this has helped more than added to the confusion! [blush]

I have a "Satin" finished '61 SG Standard. And, I have a "faded" (TV Yellow) Les Paul Special P-90's.

The "Faded" LP finish is very thin, and wears ("relic's") very easily! Especially the back of the neck.

It was down to the wood, in no time! My "Satin" finished SG (so far) has held up, much better! I DID

"satin clear coat" the back of the neck, with 3 lite extra coats, just in case, to keep from going through

the finish, quite as quickly. But, that's just my own "OCD!" LOL That's been almost 3 years ago, of nearly

daily playing, and so far the finish (neck and otherwise) has remained intact! So...???

CB

Archived