Gibson Brands Forums

Are most acoustic Bone nut and saddles universal

hu3436

A friend of mine just bought a EJ200SCE in the UK, he has been playing a lot longer than me, and said although the action was low on the guitar, the nut had been cut too deep for the strings and was also getting some fret buzz.

Just doing some homework for him as seen as i'm on the internet at present, what Bone nut and saddle would you recommend for this model guitar preferably in the UK.

Also as he has done it before he is planning on doing the work himself including dressing the frets.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine just bought a EJ200SCE in the UK, he has been playing a lot longer than me, and said although the action was low on the guitar, the nut had been cut too deep for the strings and was also getting some fret buzz.

Just doing some homework for him as seen as i'm on the internet at present, what Bone nut and saddle would you recommend for this model guitar preferably in the UK.

Also as he has done it before he is planning on doing the work himself including dressing the frets.

There are a lot of nut/saddle options out there...take a look at Bob Colosi's website at www.guitarsaddles.com

He offers nuts/saddles "prefitted" for your guitars if you can send some rather specific measurements, or more effectively just send him the nut and/or saddle off your guitar (he's fast with his turnarounds, so you won't be without your favorite for long!)

He does supply the replacement parts ever-so-slightly oversized so that you can sand them down to get a tight fit in the slot on the bridge (the saddle).

What amazes me is the variety of materials he carries...up to and including a variety of ivory that is legal to import into the U.S. (but, I must add, carries an admonition from Bob that any guitar with his "West African Hard Ivory" should not be taken outside of the U.S. because some countries may impound the guitar, or...far worse, just destroy it because it has prohibited materials built into it).

I have become convinced that the more "dense" a material is, the better it suffices as a saddle and/or nut. Some older guitars were produced with brass nuts and saddles. My vision is to start cutting down a few pieces of petrified wood I own to see if I can figure out a way to make replacement saddles for some of my older guitars, which would still have plastic saddles in the bridges.

When I commissioned Breedlove to make me a custom shop 000 I had Bob provide West African Hard Ivory for the nut, the saddle, the bridge pins, the strap button and the endpin. That was expensive and added about $300 to the already huge price for the custom guitar, but had I not done that I would have definitely wondered for the rest of my life how it would have sounded...this way I know for sure!

So...give Bob's website a look-see and you'll find more about pins/nuts/buttons/saddles, etc than you ever thought existed.

BTW...Bob is stateside, I see you're in Europe. I can't recall his name, but there is another source for replacement saddles, etc in Great Britain...once I recall the name of the person who produces those products (hoping the memory works) I'll return to this thread and update the information with an edit.

Cheers!

Dugly B)

BTW...Bob is stateside, I see you're in Europe. I can't recall his name, but there is another source for replacement saddles, etc in Great Britain...once I recall the name of the person who produces those products (hoping the memory works) I'll return to this thread and update the information with an edit.

Thanks [thumbup]

Thanks [thumbup]

IIRC his name was Gary (that could be wrong), but he went by "TREEROOT" on the Washburn forum.

I tried to surf into his eBay link, but didn't get any website, just a notice that his store doesn't exist any more. Here's the address:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TREE-ROOT-products_MUSIC-GUITAR-ACCESSORIES

I will try to send him a PM through the Washburn website. Is your email address in your profile? If so, I'll include it in the PM to him. He may be out of the business. If he responds I'll return to this thread and edit to include his contact information.

[edit: If your email address is in your profile, it does not show when I click on the link to email to you. I found TREEROOT on the member list at Washburn's forum, but there was no contact information. In fact, his last activity on the forum was about 5 years ago on November 20, 2012, 02:58:29 AM. I did send him an email asking if he is still producing saddles and fretboard nuts...will let you know if he responds.]

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dugly B)

Archived