Gibson Brands Forums

Which strings should I use?

Arima2012

Hello, I have been playing guitar for 2 years but I am still a complete noob when it comes to gear. I own a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top (not sure which model), and have had the stock strings for a really long time now. What strings should I choose to replace my current ones? Thanks.

Hello, I have been playing guitar for 2 years but I am still a complete noob when it comes to gear. I own a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top (not sure which model), and have had the stock strings for a really long time now. What strings should I choose to replace my current ones? Thanks.

It's difficult to give good advice here, because you may hate the stings I love.

It's a very personal thing, best way to find the ones you like is trying lot's of them.

That said, IMHO you can't beat D'addario in terms of price/quality balance. The classic EXL 110 sound great on guitars with humbuckers.

I had some mixed feelings about the NYXL's on Gibson's but they work fantastic on my Strat. I may give em another chance, but this time I'll try it with slightly different pickup height adjustment. Bad thing about them is their price, but the stay fresh longer, both in sound and feel.

Gibson Strings sound nice too but don't last to long. And buying one of those multiset packages I found out that some of the unwound strings were already oxidized when I opened the pack.

Hope this helps.

I will echo what he said. D'Addario XL are a good place to start. They've very good quality, inexpensive, and plentiful. You may find they're perfect for you, or at the very least will drop a pin on a map and then you can go from there. You may want something even brighter, or something more mellow, or smoother on your fingers, etc. That's where the highly personal preferences come forth. Until then, put on a set of XL110 (10-46) and see how you like them.

+1 for XL110s. Been using them for years myself.

Now if you want to try something with a bit more punch, Ernie Ball Cobalts will do nicely. At first, they don't feel quite the same as nickel's due to the cobalt material, but after they settle down you wont notice the difference. These strings are bit more expensive then the XL110s but they last a long time and they are quite a bit more responsive than nickel strings.

I usually have one or two of my gibby's setup with these. the rest, XL110s...

Hello Arima, welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

My suggestion would be to start from your feeling about the stock strings. It is useful to know what they are. Gibson uses different strings at the factory. Most Les Paul guitars come either with a mixed extra light top/light bottom set .009"-.046" or a light set .010"-.046". They can be pure nickel wound, but there are nickel-plated steel wound strings, too. The latter have a brighter tone - at least when new... ;)

If the strings were to your likes, replacing them with some of same brand and gauges would be best I think.

Do you have an electronic caliper allowing for measuring string gauges? Here's the point of my question: Given the setup is fine, replacing strings with some of same make and gauge will call for no further service. Changing string makes but staying with gauges will call for intonation adjustment. A change of gauges will always call for a neck adjustment.

My suggestion would be Gibson Brite Wires. I love bright, blazing string tones and lots of sustain, and that's what they deliver. :)

Good luck for your choice! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Arima2012,

By now you have noticed a few themes emerge, and it's all pretty much as Mr C. O. Jones described;

There are a lot of opinions on guitar strings, and you cannot go wrong with D'addarios.

And, as others have pointed out, Ernie Ball strings are also great.

I personally use extra light gauge D'addarios on my acoustics and Ernie Ball Super-Slinky's on my electrics.

(Oh, and Martin strings on my Martin 12-string acoustic, and RotoSounds on my four string ESP bass.)

If it means anything, I have never once had a guitar string break while on stage.

I did have a g string break one time while mounting a new set of D'addarios, but it was a manufacturing defect that was visible to the eye during the mounting process.

And D'addario quickly mailed me a new set after I emailed them about the problem.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[unsure]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey peeps was going to give the elan an oil service tomorrow, but Im unsure as to which grade oil I should use.

What does everyone else tend to use? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Rich

I recommend using Gibson oil:

gibson%20oil.jpg

[biggrin]

Hey peeps was going to give the elan an oil service tomorrow, but Im unsure as to which grade oil I should use.

What does everyone else tend to use? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Rich

I'm not sure I follow...

if you're talking about the fretboard, Guitar Honey

I'm n ot sure I follow...

if you're talking about the fretboard, Guitar Honey

To my guess it is just a prank and about either a Lotus or a Kia Elan sports car. That made me recommend Gibson engine oil made for motorcycles, and this is my share of prank here. Gibson oil for passenger cars doesn't come in bottles including the Gibson Guitar Company label, Gibson motorcycle oil does... [biggrin]

• 5 weeks later...

Archived