Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG Intonation

Steve Harp

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Epiphone SG that I haven't touched in years. I've recently restrung with 10s and am trying to set intonation. The neck relief appears to be OK (very slight bow) with a business card passing snugly at the 12th fret when the first and last fret are depressed. I can set intonation fine on the 1st 3 strings but strings 4 - 6 are a full note off regardless of the saddle position. For instance, on the low E, I'm getting a D on the twelfth fret with the bridge saddle fully maxed out in either direction. I'm getting similar results on strings 4 & 5.

Ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions...

All things being equal, it doesn't seem right that changing strings or changing the gauge of the strings would result in the intonation being off by a full note on a given string, which I guess is why you are asking. I'd start by checking the action. I know for myself, I have a tendency to mess-up the action when changing strings by inadvertently moving the pins on the bridge. If you are satisfied that the action and neck relief are set within reason, then if it were me, I'd take the guitar to a professional luthier. I've been adjusting the intonation on my guitars for a few years now and can't recall the intonation on the 12th fret ever being off by as much as a complete 1/2 note, much less a full note.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Epiphone SG that I haven't touched in years. I've recently restrung with 10s and am trying to set intonation. The neck relief appears to be OK (very slight bow) with a business card passing snugly at the 12th fret when the first and last fret are depressed. I can set intonation fine on the 1st 3 strings but strings 4 - 6 are a full note off regardless of the saddle position. For instance, on the low E, I'm getting a D on the twelfth fret with the bridge saddle fully maxed out in either direction. I'm getting similar results on strings 4 & 5.

Ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Get rid of this bridge...

wrong%20bridge_zpsh8oug5ow.jpg

and install one like this.....

right%20bridge_zpskkamnngy.jpg

Should eliminate the problem.

All things being equal, it doesn't seem right that changing strings or changing the gauge of the strings would result in the intonation being off by a full note on a given string, which I guess is why you are asking. I'd start by checking the action. I know for myself, I have a tendency to mess-up the action when changing strings by inadvertently moving the pins on the bridge. If you are satisfied that the action and neck relief are set within reason, then if it were me, I'd take the guitar to a professional luthier. I've been adjusting the intonation on my guitars for a few years now and can't recall the intonation on the 12th fret ever being off by as much as a complete 1/2 note, much less a full note.

I haven't changed strings in a few years but I think the old strings were probably 9s. I just put on 10s and now I have the intonation problems. It seems like the bridge may be installed incorrectly. I adjusted the truss rod after putting on the new strings and the action seems right. I was hoping I could avoid spending the money for a professional luthier and do this myself. This is the cheapest guitar I own and I don't pick it up very often.

The 12th fret is an octave up from the open string. If you are getting a D at the 12th, the open is D.

rct

No. I know the 12th fret is an octave. It should be E open and E on the 12th fret. I'm getting E open and D on the 12th fret. Not right. Hence the problem.

Other than mentioning the nut, it seems like you’ve checked off the usual suspects that cause intonation problems. Perhaps try going back to a set of 9’s to see if the problem is in fact due to the change in string gauge. If the intonation is still off, then you know something other than the change in strings is causing the problem. If the intonation works, then you can decide if using the 10’s are worth the effort to figure out what’s causing the intonation problem.

No. I know the 12th fret is an octave. It should be E open and E on the 12th fret. I'm getting E open and D on the 12th fret. Not right. Hence the problem.

You have described a problem that unless something MAJOR has happened to your guitar and it is seriously screwed, is otherwise physically impossible. Never in over fifty years of playing with a guitar where all the bits are in the right location, have I ever encountered a WHOLE STEP intonation inaccuracy. 'D' instead of 'E' at the 12th fret is so far from proper, or even achievable pitch that a routine change of strings or other basic standard adjustments simply couldn't produce this result.

I'd hate to say anything's impossible... but short of the bass side of the bridge being so low as to snag strings on the end of the neck or a pickup (or a nut slot/angle that's totally grabbing the string) I'm at a loss as to how it could be the guitar that's at fault to be a whole step out even then. [confused]

You have described a problem that unless something MAJOR has happened to your guitar and it is seriously screwed, is otherwise physically impossible. Never in over fifty years of playing with a guitar where all the bits are in the right location, have I ever encountered a WHOLE STEP intonation inaccuracy. 'D' instead of 'E' at the 12th fret is so far from proper, or even achievable pitch that a routine change of strings or other basic standard adjustments simply couldn't produce this result.

I'm away from home for a few more days. When I get back, I'll try different digital tuners and see if I get different results. I was using Guitar Toolkit on an iPad. I have a stomp tuner I can try as well as other options. Thanks for the reply. I would greatly prefer NOT to have a serious fault with the guitar.

I'm away from home for a few more days. When I get back, I'll try different digital tuners and see if I get different results. I was using Guitar Toolkit on an iPad. I have a stomp tuner I can try as well as other options. Thanks for the reply. I would greatly prefer NOT to have a serious fault with the guitar.

Yes, no one wants your guitar to be toast. I'm thinking and hoping it's a tuner error, Steve!

I was using Guitar Toolkit on an iPad.

That's probably the culprit. I've used the tuner on the Guitar Toolkit app myself. They are not precise at their best and the app software or the mic on the device can get corrupted leading to disastrous results. I think you'll likely get much different readings if you use the stomp tuner or even something like a Snark.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I finally got back home and tried using my stomp tuner instead of the iPad app and the intonation is much closer using that tuner. I think it's within an adjustable range now so I'll try it again tomorrow. I had no idea that one tuner could be so inaccurate when compared to another. I just assumed they could be trusted. Silly me.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I finally got back home and tried using my stomp tuner instead of the iPad app and the intonation is much closer using that tuner. I think it's within an adjustable range now so I'll try it again tomorrow. I had no idea that one tuner could be so inaccurate when compared to another. I just assumed they could be trusted. Silly me.

Good news [thumbup] , let us know how your intonation goes. There can be quite a divergence in accuracy and consistency between the many tuners, some having dubious quality control and/or poorly executed software.

Edit, 10 gauge strings should be about perfect for an SG and will assist in good intonation, you may not have to do a thing to it and if you do, it'll be very minor.

i notice that when the batteries get low on any of several clip on tuners i have that my sg is almost impossible to get that spot on tuning 10 hrs is usually all those clip on tuners will rok properly do you know anyone that has a tuned piano?

Archived