Gibson Brands Forums

Original 2

Skidge

New to the forums as I just recently acquired my first Gibson. I halfheartedly mess around on acoustic, but decided to get into electric (and do it right!).

Ended up finding a used 2014 SG Original 2 for sale a few hours away at a decent price. The original owner barely played it--still had factory strings and not a single mark on it. The aged cherry finish is beautiful in person, pictures really don't do it justice. And of course, the ever loved and hated brown and pink case was icing on the cake. A little linseed oil on the board and a fresh set of .10s brought it back to life. The '57 classics sound great even through a cheap practice amp I'm borrowing until I decide on a proper rig. 'Lubed' the nut and bridge with graphite and haven't noticed any tuning problems with light use of the vibrola. I'm absolutely in love with this guitar--unsure how anyone could let something like this go!

Curious as to roughly how many were made. I'm correct in assuming the Original and Original 2 are identical spec'd minus the finish, right? Couldn't find anything on Gibson's site concerning the Original 2.

Ah okay, that's what I thought about the finish differences. Gibson CS also verified that's the only difference, and that "These were available for a limited time, rather than preannounced limited numbers, so no production numbers available" which is interesting.

Had been looking at Standards for the most part when stumbling across the Original 2. I do like that the 2017's have '57 classics in 'em and include hardshell cases again, though!

I agree, the aged cherry is a great look for SGs. The build quality overall is amazing as well. Now, I haven't held a custom shop SG--and maybe I'd change my tune if I did--but I can't imagine one being any better in terms of fit and finish.

Looking forward to getting a proper living room amp for it. I beg for it's forgiveness every time I plug it into a loaner 8" SS amp that's borrowed. Feel obligated to feel it a Marshall tube.

I agree, the aged cherry is a great look for SGs. The build quality overall is amazing as well. Now, I haven't held a custom shop SG--and maybe I'd change my tune if I did--but I can't imagine one being any better in terms of fit and finish.

Looking forward to getting a proper living room amp for it. I beg for it's forgiveness every time I plug it into a loaner 8" SS amp that's borrowed. Feel obligated to feel it a Marshall tube.

If you want a "Marshall" (tube amp), and a "bedroom" amp, try the "Class 5!"

But, don't overlook the "Orange" "Crush" solid state series. They're pretty

awesome sounding, at both "bedroom" levels, and otherwise. Good Luck! [biggrin]

CB

If you want a "Marshall" (tube amp), and a "bedroom" amp, try the "Class 5!"

But, don't overlook the "Orange" "Crush" solid state series. They're pretty

awesome sounding, at both "bedroom" levels, and otherwise. Good Luck! [biggrin]

CB

I played a Crush35 in a Guitar Center recently and didn't really care for it--then again it was busy that day, and the Guitar Center white noise levels were off the charts. Drove 2 hours and couldn't stay in there more than 30 minutes, but that's beside the point!

I'd looked around for a Class 5 actually but for a similar price a used DSL40C is on the way. Hopefully it'll be here beginning of the week. I can crank it during daytime hours anyways, so figured the extra headroom will come in handy. Plus the on-board reverb is welcome--really do not want to get into buying pedals...yet.

Congrats! She's a beauty. I think aged cherry is my favorite finish. Couple that with a tremolo bar and Gibson 57s and I bet she destroys.

Thank you. Agreed on aged cherry. I'm definitely in love with it--that's for sure. At a few ounces over 7 lbs there's a nice balance strapped or sitting, too. Honestly would have paid a few hundred more for it if I had to!

I played a Crush35 in a Guitar Center recently and didn't really care for it--then again it was busy that day, and the Guitar Center white noise levels were off the charts. Drove 2 hours and couldn't stay in there more than 30 minutes, but that's beside the point!

When I do GC,,I ALWAYS play stuff in there soundproof rooms w/the sliding glass doors,,but maybe your store doesnt have that?

• 1 month later...

I'd looked around for a Class 5 actually but for a similar price a used DSL40C is on the way. Hopefully it'll be here beginning of the week. I can crank it during daytime hours anyways, so figured the extra headroom will come in handy. Plus the on-board reverb is welcome--really do not want to get into buying pedals...yet.

Thank you. Agreed on aged cherry. I'm definitely in love with it--that's for sure. At a few ounces over 7 lbs there's a nice balance strapped or sitting, too. Honestly would have paid a few hundred more for it if I had to!

Hey, that Marshall DSL40C is a good choice! My Original ROCKS through mine. Hell, I gig with one! I bought 2, one with a Celestion Creamback in it. I practice with the one with the 70/80 stock speaker and once it broke in, it sounds fine. When you spend some time with that amp you'll find lots of sweet spots. It handles pedals great. Your kinda set now!

Archived