Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on a Gibson Les Paul CS9

gmm

Hi.

First of all allow me to introduce myself. Although I only play guitar as a hobby, most of my favourite guitar players were LP players and, as such, I have always wanted to own a LP. Many years ago I have finally managed to buy my first LP, but the "quest" for the perfect guitar kept me looking to a 59 reissue with terrible GAS! I am now seriously considering going for the 59 reissue but have some doubts regarding this particular model and would very much appreciate your advice. I have found a CS9 for a reasonable price but don't know if this is a regular R9 named differently due to a specific production year or if it is actually a different model.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

GMM

Hello, gmm

I cannot offer much advice on the specific model known as the '59 Reissue, and I don't know a CS9 or R9 from a can of Shinola.

I can however offer this advice;

Play every single guitar you can get your hands on.

And if it's a Gibson Les Paul you desire, focus in on that.

Try them all out.

Go to every music store in your area, and reach out to every local private seller, and get your hands on every Les Paul that is available.

Touch them, play them, and take the time to flip all the switches and roll the volume and tone knobs up and down as you play carefully and thoughtfully.

Don't bring any wives, girlfriends, mothers, husbands, or boyfriends along with you.

They won't understand, and they'll just stand there and crowd your space.

You don't need that.

You have to comfortable and relaxed, and you want to take your time with trying them out.

Eventually you will find the one.

It doesn't matter what model it is.

You will find the one that feels right, plays right, sounds right, and stays in tune.

You will hear it sing to you in a voice that only you can appreciate.

In the end, it might be a '59 Reissue, it might be a Les Paul Standard, or it might be a Studio.

It doesn't matter.

When you hold and feel and hear the right one, that'll be your baby.

That's my advice.

:)

Hello, gmm

I cannot offer much advice on the specific model known as the '59 Reissue, and I don't know a CS9 or R9 from a can of Shinola.

I can however offer this advice;

Play every single guitar you can get your hands on.

And if it's a Gibson Les Paul you desire, focus in on that.

Try them all out.

Go to every music store in your area, and reach out to every local private seller, and get your hands on every Les Paul that is available.

Touch them, play them, and take the time to flip all the switches and roll the volume and tone knobs up and down as you play carefully and thoughtfully.

Don't bring any wives, girlfriends, mothers, husbands, or boyfriends along with you.

They won't understand, and they'll just stand there and crowd your space.

You don't need that.

You have to comfortable and relaxed, and you want to take your time with trying them out.

Eventually you will find the one.

It doesn't matter what model it is.

You will find the one that feels right, plays right, sounds right, and stays in tune.

You will hear it sing to you in a voice that only you can appreciate.

In the end, it might be a '59 Reissue, it might be a Les Paul Standard, or it might be a Studio.

It doesn't matter.

When you hold and feel and hear the right one, that'll be your baby.

That's my advice.

:)

Many thanks, sparquelito. I will certainly play them and choose the one that feels right. My doubt was whether the CS9 had the same specs as the R9 or not. After reading some reviews online I believe it has some modern features.

Best,

GMM

CS9 not CR9? CR being chambered reissue. No idea what a CS9 is,sorry.

Thanks, Farnsbarns. It's actually a CS9 (it's listed in Gibson's website (2015 custom shop model) as "CS9 '50s Style Les Paul Standard VOS"; there's also a CS7, CS8 and CS0). According to the info that I found so far it has some modern features like a short tenon but don't know if this info is correct. Retail prices are currently way below a "regular" R9.

Best,

GMM

The model you are talking about is from last year (2015) and is a '50's styled' Les Paul with the short neck tenons. They all seem to be on sale at the moment. Personally I would go with a 2014 or 2016 R9 as these are closer to the proper historic specs if that's what you are looking for (with long neck tenons). However, if you are not too fussed about exact vintage specs, the 2015 50's style ones probably a good option. I can't say I've tried one myself, but I'm sure they are a fine instrument. I've tried a few normal vintage spec R8's and R9's and can honestly say they were phenomenally good guitars. I only have one Custom Shop Reissue Les Paul which is a 1957 Custom (w/ 3 pickups & Bigsby) and I've never regretted buying it.

Good luck with the purchase and hope you find the one you are after.

The model you are talking about is from last year (2015) and is a '50's styled' Les Paul with the short neck tenons. They all seem to be on sale at the moment. Personally I would go with a 2014 or 2016 R9 as these are closer to the proper historic specs if that's what you are looking for (with long neck tenons). However, if you are not too fussed about exact vintage specs, the 2015 50's style ones probably a good option. I can't say I've tried one myself, but I'm sure they are a fine instrument. I've tried a few normal vintage spec R8's and R9's and can honestly say they were phenomenally good guitars. I only have one Custom Shop Reissue Les Paul which is a 1957 Custom (w/ 3 pickups & Bigsby) and I've never regretted buying it.

Good luck with the purchase and hope you find the one you are after.

Thanks! I'm also sure the CS9 is a great guitar but most probably will go with a second-hand R9 (found one from 2008 that is pretty clean besides some strange cracks in the binding of the body under the lacquer that I'm trying to understand; aesthetically it doesn't bother me at all but just want to make sure it doesn't get any worse and it doesn't mean that the body has some kind of structural damage).

Any thoughts on this?

Best,

GMM

Archived