Gibson Brands Forums

The Used LP Market

Zentar

I've been doing a lot of looking online for used Les Pauls and noticed a couple of very basic market issues.

2015s seem to be $300 less. Some sellers try to hide the fact that its a 2015 by not mentioning the year.

Deluxes seem to be very similar priced to the average Standard. You don't see Deluxes at prices similar to lower priced Classics.

Lotta fret wear guitars out there.

Modded guitars drops the price $400.(electrics, pcb etc)

There are too many Traditionals made. They have beautiful caps but chubby necks. They're all over the place.

Guitars sold from Japan are gorgeous.

Meets my observations.

Lotta fret wear guitars out there.

This problem seems to be widely spread, not just on LPs.

My experiences with players and guitars I know in person tell that too little string action is the main culprit. The strings downright mill dents into the fret wire. Then there are overly forceful bendings, grinding frets also beside the basic string run.

Meets my observations.

This problem seems to be widely spread, not just on LPs.

My experiences with players and guitars I know in person tell that too little string action is the main culprit. The strings downright mill dents into the fret wire. Then there are overly forceful bendings, grinding frets also beside the basic string run.

I saw a lot of the "milling" you spoke of. This seems to happen up near the open chord area at the nut end.

Lotta used guitars needed fret dressing($150). Some of the problem looking guitars if they had been dressed would not have been an issue. Wide flat topped frets will buzz but a fret dressing will cure that. It would be better if the seller takes care of this. Lotta sellers need the money so they can't splurge the cash. The buyer tends to shy off since they can't really tell the fret condition by fotos.

This is indisputable though: if you like the chubby C-neck wide fret board 2015 Traditionals, the market is yours. I got the impression a lot of players bought Traditionals because they have stunning caps but once they got them home they couldn't make due with the neck and fret board.

Archived