Gibson Brands Forums

Really?! 1944 Epiphone Olympic?!

G-Dog

Is this really that? My friend got it for $100 cause of the splits in the top at the bottoms of the f-holes. He got it repaired and says you gotta look close to tell they were ever there. Does this look real to the experts here? I'm aghast!

post-80637-084973600 1474411922_thumb.jpg post-80637-076158900 1474411943_thumb.jpg

Yep. Real Deal.

Notice it has an opaque finish on the center of the top as opposed to showing the grain. This was a WW2 thing. The larger pieces of spruce went to airplane construction. The top on this one might be smaller pieces of spruce (more than 2 pieces) or maybe some other wood, or maybe just some crappy looking spruce.

I love these old Epis and the biggest problem I see with them is the necks popping out of their sockets. Good chance for a reset then!

Yep. Real Deal.

Notice it has an opaque finish on the center of the top as opposed to showing the grain. This was a WW2 thing. The larger pieces of spruce went to airplane construction. The top on this one might be smaller pieces of spruce (more than 2 pieces) or maybe some other wood, or maybe just some crappy looking spruce.

I love these old Epis and the biggest problem I see with them is the necks popping out of their sockets. Good chance for a reset then!

Thanks for this reply, @ksdaddy. I'm thrilled to hear that for my friend. He's always a-wheelin' and a-dealin', but this is his best score yet, as far as I can tell. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived