Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about Pedals

carranoj25

Hey guys, quick question about the addition/use of pedals.

Right now, I am playing out of a JCM 800 with a 4x12 ; no FX Loop. Now I only use a chorus and Overdrive (sometimes) in the mix for that. I recently acquired some new pedals which I may throw in the loop for fun and see what happens. For example a delay pedal. I've been told in the past there are certain pedals that should be run through the back of the amp or the FX Loop, and if I ran these pedals in the front it would need to be on clean settings via my JCM 800. Is there any truth to this or can I run everything in the front? Thanks!

Processors producing linear distortions like EQs, fixed delays (echoes) and modulated delays (chorus/flanger/phaser) allow for theoretically arbitrary order of application. S/N ratio is the only reason to prefer some setups over others.

The sonic results of effects producing non-linear distortions like compressors, limiters, and those called "distortion", overdrive or the like, largely depend on the order of all the effects in use, including the linear ones.

Order of FX devices will be a matter of taste in the end. If the overdrive is first, the sound will be much cleaner than with the overdrive at the end. Amps with FX loop allow for overdrive first, that's why I prefer them. As an alternative one can use the amp's clean channel only and put distortion pedal at first position, followed by all the other FX.

Guest Farnsbarns

Cap's about right. But....

If you are using an amp which over drives in the preamp it's better (arguably) to put linear distortion effects (to use Cap's terminology) in an effect loop because then they come after the overdrive. You basically want the subtle features of the overdrive to be heard in each repeat of a delay for example.

Interesting question.... [thumbup]

Always subject to experimentation...

I use a Boss Multi fx...and it is amazing what can be 'wrung' out of any clean platform...

Including Ultra Hi Gain a la Eddie Van H.... :blink:

Nice to use natural Valve Distortion from a great amp... [thumbup]

I have also used 2 amps in stereo from a pedal board...

V

:-({|=

delay pedal wont be a problem. The question is where does it best fit in the signal path.

I would put them where ever the all sound the best together. Usually the Overdrives I use seem to work best in front, the delay and chorus after.. this works for me... maybe for you too.

The trick with the Delay and chorus is the blend, or mix. you don't want the delay as loud as the regular signal. Also reverb and delay should be balanced.

you dont want to mud up your signal too much with either. it's easy to do.. While your playing alone, verses playing with others, can be a tweak fest to get things to fit right when you're working along side drums/bass/other players.. etc. Once you get used to everything, it's all pretty much what you're looking for, the sound that your ears say "yea.. That's it.."

Personal experience is that if you are using the drive channel with a lot of gain on your amp and you put a delay in front, the sound with the delay will 'muddy'.

This being said with low gain, bluesy drive setting, it is not a problem to put delay in front but with a hi gain drive channel it will be horrible.

Personal experience is that if you are using the drive channel with a lot of gain on your amp and you put a delay in front, the sound with the delay will 'muddy'.

This being said with low gain, bluesy drive setting, it is not a problem to put delay in front but with a hi gain drive channel it will be horrible.

Well not necessarily.

The mix/blend control IME makes all the difference if the delay is in front of the amp. I find you need less of the "effect" set on the pedal when in the deal is in signal chain in this manner. Just set it so that the original NOTE is louder than the repeats. if the repeats are close to or the same volume, not so good.

In the loop it then depends on how that is wired to the path (Series or Parallel)

A parallel loop with it's own mix/blend control, the mix/blend on the delay would be set almost all the way UP and then you'd control how much delay comes back with the amps loop volume/blend control.

A serial loop, which often may not have a blend control (some amps might, mine amps with both styles of loops, only the parallel loop has a blend control) will be require more of a critical attention to be paid to the blend, usually in most cases setting the blend at 12 o'clock is a good starting point.

Well not necessarily.

The mix/blend control IME makes all the difference if the delay is in front of the amp. I find you need less of the "effect" set on the pedal when in the deal is in signal chain in this manner. Just set it so that the original NOTE is louder than the repeats. if the repeats are close to or the same volume, not so good.

In the loop it then depends on how that is wired to the path (Series or Parallel)

A parallel loop with it's own mix/blend control, the mix/blend on the delay would be set almost all the way UP and then you'd control how much delay comes back with the amps loop volume/blend control.

A serial loop, which often may not have a blend control (some amps might, mine amps with both styles of loops, only the parallel loop has a blend control) will be require more of a critical attention to be paid to the blend, usually in most cases setting the blend at 12 o'clock is a good starting point.

I was sharing my own experience, that time I had a Boogie Transatlantic 30 (no effect loop) and a MXR Carbon Copy and believe me I have tried all the possible settings on the delay pedal.

Perhaps it depends as well if it is an analog or digital delay, I don't know

strange indeed, that, from what I heard.... was a pretty good delay.. I've never used it however..

Pedals can all be finicky and everyone's going to experience something different.

I have a line 6 echo park and a DL4 that I used in both loop and in line setups. The problem I had was getting the settings right to get rid of the volume drop with the echo park when the pedal would be engaged. That drove me nuts till I figured it out.

I have a Digitech RP-10 floor pedal,,really nice ,,has built in NG/compressor,many many effects all stereo adjustable, ect ect,,if it were me w/what you might use,, going into front of amp,,I would for sure get a Noise gate as last item before amp input,,keeps things squeaky clean+quiet in breaks in songs,or when the band ends its song on stage,,and you dont want giant white noise of "hiss" from rig. IMO

Archived