Gibson Brands Forums

new recording

Eades

Hey man,,pretty cool tune"Forever" Great production,,radio ready for sure. How bout a rundown on what gear you used to record? gtrs+amps? I always enjoy talkin "shop" talk. I record alot of stuff in the home studio 24trk digital,,so Im always wondering how others record. 10K

Hey man,,pretty cool tune"Forever" Great production,,radio ready for sure. How bout a rundown on what gear you used to record? gtrs+amps? I always enjoy talkin "shop" talk. I record alot of stuff in the home studio 24trk digital,,so Im always wondering how others record. 10K

I'm gonna hijack this thread...I use a Macbook Pro with a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB and Garageband. I also have Finale 2012 for composing all my sheet music. Pretty simple, but I would like something better than Garageband. I just don't have the funds right now...

Guitars used- Gibson Les Paul classic, Gibson Les Paul signature,fender jaguar

Bass used - fender precision

Amps used - orange thunderverb,blackstar series one,marshall JVM

Drums used -pearl

Guitars used- Gibson Les Paul classic, Gibson Les Paul signature,fender jaguar

Bass used - fender precision

Amps used - orange thunderverb,blackstar series one,marshall JVM

Drums used -pearl

Wow,,neat gear. Now did you have a "producer" mixing/editing? or did you mix all this yourself/band?

We had a producer, but gave input into it on what we wanted higher or lower in the mix or best take

Ok,,you all did a good job on it,,just was asking cause alot of producers mix how THEY think it should be,rather than what the band hears. Cheers!

Get a recording that you know and like the way the mix sounds. A/B your mix with the mix you like. Get your levels of bass drums guitars and vocals to match as close as possible to the balance on the mix you know and like. Then your tune will sound good anywhere...

Yeah it's always hard finding a balance, what sounds great from studio speakers sounds naff on laptop speakers or boomy in car speakers

Back in the day..... when mixing, we would have the engineer run a cassette master, parallel/real time, with the 1/2 track tape master. We would then preview the cassette in a boom box (they were called "ghetto blasters" back then), and in a car stereo. If a cassette tape copy could pass both those tests, it was a good mix, EQ, etc. Cassette tapes sales and FM radio airplay was what we were going for at the time.

Now with i-pods and computer speakers, and ear buds, and the like, I would have no idea how to voice a master. I find it funny that digital recording and duplication was supposed to be the end-all highest of the high-fidelity,.... and now consumer playback is on crap that would have made my 1966 RCA plastic pop-up portable record player sound "state-of-the-art". It's really a shame that the finest in digital recording technology is now wasted on the lowest fidelity play-back gear since the Gramophone.

Oh, and by the way... the recordings sound great on my Dell computer speakers.

Back in the day..... when mixing, we would have the engineer run a cassette master, parallel/real time, with the 1/2 track tape master. We would then preview the cassette in a boom box (they were called "ghetto blasters" back then), and in a car stereo. If a cassette tape copy could pass both those tests, it was a good mix, EQ, etc. Cassette tapes sales and FM radio airplay was what we were going for at the time.

Now with i-pods and computer speakers, and ear buds, and the like, I would have no idea how to voice a master. I find it funny that digital recording and duplication was supposed to be the end-all highest of the high-fidelity,.... and now consumer playback is on crap that would have made my 1966 RCA plastic pop-up portable record player sound "state-of-the-art". It's really a shame that the finest in digital recording technology is now wasted on the lowest fidelity play-back gear since the Gramophone.

Oh, and by the way... the recordings sound great on my Dell computer speakers.

I listened to it on my tablet numerous times and you can't hear the subdrops but in the car there clear as day

Archived