Gibson Brands Forums

Mic Identification???

Guitar Fundi

I have listened to this with my Beyer DT 770 Pro headphones and I can hear these guitars more pure and true than any other Youtube recording ever. Can anyone identify the mic used and maybe elaborate on how they achieved this level of pure/true and clarity of sound over Youtube?

You can see the mic at 0.57 and several other times.

Thanks and God Bless!

This is a stereo recording, therefore there has to be another mic outside the camera angle, and I think they used two of same build.

The headgrille says Neumann to me. My guess would be the TLM-103 due to its very low noise level. It allows for 138 dB sound pressure level and offers very low 7 dB(A) equivalent input noise. The cheaper TLM-102 takes 144 dBSPL and has 12 dB(A) EIN. It is doubtlessly more useful for close-up micing loud sound sources.

Hope this helps.

I have been told that others think it might be a Groove Tube?

I don't think it's a valve/tube mic. These have a much higher equivalent input noise, including the long discontinued Groove Tubes models. Their GT67 for instance produces 23 dB(A) self-noise. Even current low-budget samll-diaphragm condenser mics using semiconductors provide this.

• 3 months later...

i agree with capmaster. looks like the Neumann TLM-103 to me

TLM-103 more than likely, yet may not be the only one, its position is wrong for a single mic, could be one of an xy set.

could be room mikes as well....who knows.

then there is mic pres, what kind of a to d converters, and the clock, it all adds up, killer clean is about the hardest to get right, and will show any weak point in the chain.

IMHO.

Archived