Gibson Brands Forums

Proof cheap guitars can sound good...

cody78

This style of playing won't be to everyone's taste, but whilst browsing YouTube I found this excellent video demonstrating how great a cheap guitar can sound in the right hands. Made me want to dust off my old beaten Squier and play some Yngwie inspired music [biggrin]

I have a few "copys" of Lp's ,strats that sound + play just fine,,just had to install decent Pu's and such. This is a 76' Starfield LP{ I know,,I know,,its not a popular item for Gibson,but I couldnt afford much else at the time,sorry} But to your post point,its all about setup+ getting some decent Pu's in whatever you have have. Heck,,Im looking at a few Epi's that would work well for what I do.My buddy Bob,{playing the Blue GIBSON LP,,he just got that this month,really nice axe!} The one I refer to is the Black Lp copy in vid Im playing.

This style of playing won't be to everyone's taste, but whilst browsing YouTube I found this excellent video demonstrating how great a cheap guitar can sound in the right hands. Made me want to dust off my old beaten Squier and play some Yngwie inspired music [biggrin]

whoa! that guy is amazing!

I have a few "copys" of Lp's ,strats that sound + play just fine,,just had to install decent Pu's and such. This is a 76' Starfield LP{ I know,,I know,,its not a popular item for Gibson,but I couldnt afford much else at the time,sorry} But to your post point,its all about setup+ getting some decent Pu's in whatever you have have. Heck,,Im looking at a few Epi's that would work well for what I do.My buddy Bob,{playing the Blue GIBSON LP,,he just got that this month,really nice axe!} The one I refer to is the Black Lp copy in vid Im playing.

Enjoyed your video 10K-DB...and the Starfield LP sounds great. Nice playing [thumbup]

With that much gain all guitars sound the same anyway.

Haha! Yes, to a certain degree...My old Squier has a nice clean tone though too, even if it hums a heck of a lot at high volume. My post really was just about how a lot of players seem to write off cheaper guitars, when actually they are pretty good a lot of the time. I used my Squier all the time when I was a music student and other people studying would say it was a piece of crap! I already had a Gibson LP Classic 1960 & Studio, but bought the Squier just to have a guitar I wasn't too worried about damaging or being stolen. I think Squiers are great for the money as are Epi LP Specials.

I'm a guitar addict, so I cannot be objective.

I have had costly name brand guitars, really cheap guitars, and everything in between.

I must say, I have had exceptional luck with quite a few of my cheaper ones;

They must've been made on a Tuesday and not a Friday.

Whatever it is, they sound really good.

My double cutaway Jay Turser, for instance.

it's an insanely good guitar.

My recent acquisition, the Strat copy by Austin.

A beautiful guitar, with fantastic tones, excellent playability, and it stays in tune forever.

I'm embarrassed to say how little I paid for it!!

I love my Martin, I love my Gibson Les Paul, and I love my Fender Telecaster.

But I am blown away every time I stumble upon (and acquire, like a trembling, arm-scratching junkie) a lesser-expensive guitar that sounds and plays great!

[woot]

...My post really was just about how a lot of players seem to write off cheaper guitars, when actually they are pretty good a lot of the time.

I agree. And I'd add that the more quickly a player "writes off" an inexpensive guitar the less likely he or she is a competent and experienced player. Anyone who's been around the block knows better.

Really, it's all pretense and elitism.

I'd tend to agree. Searched YouTube et al but couldn't find what I was looking for, which was

1) David Gilmour saying to the effect that gear didn't mean $hit. He basically said (paraphrasing) put me in any music store, and give me what ever gear you want, and inside of 15 minutes I'll be sounding like me.

2) I've seen footage of Jack Pearson (Allman Bros, etc.) playing a Squier Strat, and he sounded just fine.

My. Son bought a cheap Vendetta from a pawn shop around a hundred bucks or less. He gave it to me and when I changed strings the 1st time the Entire guitar fell apart. Thought Oh crap. That was my learning guitar to put back together like a puzzle and I learned not to cut all the strings off together. But everything was loose and way out of wack. I got that guitar to sound very good and I love its deep throaty bass. So now he took it back, lol. But I gave him a test. Blindfolded, I asked him to tell me what I was playing. His vendetta, my Epiphone or my Gibson and I had different settings for each.

Enjoyed your video 10K-DB...and the Starfield LP sounds great. Nice playing [thumbup]

Why thank you sir,,Im ok I guess,,that guy playing that red squire is REALLY good,,way better than me,IMO. I was a bit hesitant to post the Starfield vid due to the "legal issue" gibson had w/them in the 70's. It was made by a division of Ibenez in Japan,,they were only around a for a few yrs, you can find a few out on Ebay,,maybe 300-400$ at most,,but I got it in Ann Arbor Mi,where I lived growing up,,and I was washing dishes at a local food place to get the $$ to buy it{ you know,living at parents house,no mortgage,utilities,,food bill,,ahhh the good ol' days,,lol},,and it was only 225$ new w/nice hardshell case{which I still have for it} Had it for a few yrs,,then traded it to a buddy of mine for a 77' all maple L6-S{which Ive kicked myself for yrs for ever getting rid of}for the Starfield. So,,,20 yrs went by,, never saw it in that time,,,,and one day I was visiting my buddy,,and I saw the glimpse of it in his closet,,and I asked him,,"Hey Mike,,is that the Starfield?" in your closet? He said yea,,,I said,,"can I buy it back? It was dissassembled for some reason ,,he was changing PU's,,doin a fret level or something,,so it was all apart. But he said he's take 80$ toget it back,,so I bought it back and Ive had it ever since. I think I put Shaller or Shechter PU's in it,,and it has nice binding work on it,and plays+sounds quite decent,,and its lighter than a Real LP,,not sure what its made of. I put the witchhat style knobs on it,,there easier to work when playing live,other than that its stock. {wow,I just realized how long this reply has gotten,,whoops} Thanks for the kind words,,Cheers :rolleyes:

It Bites founding member Francis Dunnery used his highly pickup-modified white Squier Strat as well as his black Fender. Here's a video of my It Bites favorite song from the band's heyday featuring Francis playing the Squier:

Wow,,those guys are great,,Ive never heard of them{I need to get out more} Nice [thumbup]

you're not hearing the guitar, you're hearing massive amounts of gain, and I might add.... masturbatory wanking...

Well perhaps!...but Squiers can sound good with slight gain or clean. For £150, I'd say they have a great tone...obviously not as good as mid to high end guitars, but still good for the money.

I don't really get the terms 'masturbatory wanking', 'fret wanker' or 'self indulgent'. Music is great played slow, in-between or at speed. I myself couldn't play what he plays in the video, so I have respect for his style even though I'm primarily a jazzer [smile] I'd rather hear him play than some dull indie band!

Why thank you sir,,Im ok I guess,,that guy playing that red squire is REALLY good,,way better than me,IMO. I was a bit hesitant to post the Starfield vid due to the "legal issue" gibson had w/them in the 70's. It was made by a division of Ibenez in Japan,,they were only around a for a few yrs, you can find a few out on Ebay,,maybe 300-400$ at most,,but I got it in Ann Arbor Mi,where I lived growing up,,and I was washing dishes at a local food place to get the $$ to buy it{ you know,living at parents house,no mortgage,utilities,,food bill,,ahhh the good ol' days,,lol},,and it was only 225$ new w/nice hardshell case{which I still have for it} Had it for a few yrs,,then traded it to a buddy of mine for a 77' all maple L6-S{which Ive kicked myself for yrs for ever getting rid of}for the Starfield. So,,,20 yrs went by,, never saw it in that time,,,,and one day I was visiting my buddy,,and I saw the glimpse of it in his closet,,and I asked him,,"Hey Mike,,is that the Starfield?" in your closet? He said yea,,,I said,,"can I buy it back? It was dissassembled for some reason ,,he was changing PU's,,doin a fret level or something,,so it was all apart. But he said he's take 80$ toget it back,,so I bought it back and Ive had it ever since. I think I put Shaller or Shechter PU's in it,,and it has nice binding work on it,and plays+sounds quite decent,,and its lighter than a Real LP,,not sure what its made of. I put the witchhat style knobs on it,,there easier to work when playing live,other than that its stock. {wow,I just realized how long this reply has gotten,,whoops} Thanks for the kind words,,Cheers :rolleyes:

That's a great story of how the guitar came back to you. I must admit I had to look up Starfield as I'd never heard of them, but liked the look of the one in your video. Thanks for sharing [smile]

That's a great story of how the guitar came back to you. I must admit I had to look up Starfield as I'd never heard of them, but liked the look of the one in your video. Thanks for sharing [smile]

Yea,,its funny how somethings come back our way ,,thru no effort of our own. Now,,if that 77" All Maple L6-S would wonder back my way!! Id be one happy woodchuck. [thumbup]

Yea,,its funny how somethings come back our way ,,thru no effort of our own. Now,,if that 77" All Maple L6-S would wonder back my way!! Id be one happy woodchuck. [thumbup]

I bet! The L6-S always looked interesting with the varitone, body shape and materials, but I've never had a chance to try one. There was a 70's one for sale over here in the UK a while back for a great price (around £1000) and I must admit I was tempted to go check it out, but sadly had my money tied up in other guitars at the time. You can find good deals on vintage ones if you keep a look out.

I bet! The L6-S always looked interesting with the varitone, body shape and materials, but I've never had a chance to try one. There was a 70's one for sale over here in the UK a while back for a great price (around £1000) and I must admit I was tempted to go check it out, but sadly had my money tied up in other guitars at the time. You can find good deals on vintage ones if you keep a look out.

Yea Ive seen a few out there, may get one again someday,,to Cody78 post point,,yes there are many "LOW END" axes that if setup right,,w/decent PU's can sound as good as highend stuff. [thumbup]

I'd tend to agree. Searched YouTube et al but couldn't find what I was looking for, which was

1) David Gilmour saying to the effect that gear didn't mean $hit. He basically said (paraphrasing) put me in any music store, and give me what ever gear you want, and inside of 15 minutes I'll be sounding like me.

2) I've seen footage of Jack Pearson (Allman Bros, etc.) playing a Squier Strat, and he sounded just fine.

I almost always watch the Tuesday night Live Lesson with Steve Krenz of Gibson Learn and Master Guitar. Jack Pearson has been a guest on there at least once and it seems that is all he plays is a Squier. He certainly has the resources, I would think, to play whatever he wants. In fact, I would think he would have a signature guitar from somebody. I'll see him on the Bonamass cruise and I'll see what he is playing! [smile]

Archived