Gibson Brands Forums

If you are too stupid to learn guitar... Try the Bass

Rabs

At first, I was offended. However, that about sums up bass playing..."...like that guy in Led Zeppelin who wasn't Plant, Page, or Bonham."

Funny, but true.

Kinda like the bass player for AC-DC called it quits...what's his name and will anyone really miss his open A?

Kinda like the bass player for AC-DC called it quits...what's his name?

Cliff Williams, but who's keeping score? (And I'm not an AC/DC fan either).

Not defending bass players, but they are an integral part of any band, and if your bass player and your drummer aren't in synch with each other...well, you're just gonna suck. My 2 cents, anyway.

This is so ironic.

(Or maybe it's just timely.)

I went over the mountain this morning to help another band practice-up for a rather large gig on the river next Friday.

My band is scheduled to open, play many sets in the middle, and close a large outdoor sports-fest this next week.

This other band, the guys and girls I worked with this morning, are programmed to play a couple of sets in the middle of things.

They are friends of friends, and we have invited them to share this same stage three years in a row now.

Problem is, their rhythm guitar player can't make it this year, so I offered to switch-hit, and fill in for him.

(Not a big deal, we will already be there, with my band's PA and mic stands and amplifiers all set up, etc.)

I rode over the hills with plenty of coffee and some sausage, egg, and cheese sandwiches in my belly.

So.

We rallied up and sound-checked in a large local church, and set about the business of practicing about 10 to 12 songs.

The girl singer is enthusiastic and talented.

The drummer is tight, and rock-solid.

The lead-guitar-player and overall lead-singer and band leader is a really sharp guy, with solid guitar skills.

The weak link, I discovered today, is their newest bass player.

Man.

He's mediocre at best.

I guess I am just spoiled.

My band's regular bass player is an intuitive musician, with plenty of positive attitude and a cheerful singing voice.

Our other multi-instrumental bass player, switch-hitter on drums and 2nd guitar, and keyboard player, my brother, is a fantastic bass player and singer.

But this guy today, in the other band;

he was a half-beat behind the drummer all day.

He fumbled around the fretboard, and barely kept up with any given song.

I don't know what happened to their bass player from last year and the year before, but I wish he would come back from the dead, and now.

It's a quandary.

I want to tell their band-leader to leave this guy at home.

No bass player is better than a bad bass player.

What do you think??

:( :mellow: :unsure: [crying]

I think playing music together in an amateur band is supposed to be a fun activity, so as long as they're having fun it don't mean Jack.

Me and mine are getting paid top dollar, though this other outfit is pretty much playing for the exposure.

I wish I could say that they are going to have fun.

I hope they have fun.

I'll do my best to help them achieve some measure of fun.

[crying]

I want to tell their band-leader to leave this guy at home.

No bass player is better than a bad bass player.

What do you think??

:( :mellow: :unsure: [crying]

Well they could do what my band is doing now. We don't have a bass player. There are three of us that can play bass and we swap out during our gigs. Here's how we work it...

We arrange our setlists for a minimal amount of swapping, so John plays bass for the first 8 songs, I get the next 6, etc...

We have a keyboard player and sometimes the songs we do don't really call for a keyboard/piano part, so he plays bass on those.

This started out of necessity when our bass player got sick and had to quit on us. Be we all enjoy it, and to be honest with you, I really like playing bass and singing backup.

I'm not sure that the guy who has played bass for the Rolling Stones for the past twenty-something years is even considered a full member of the band yet - tough audition! [mellow]

If I recall correctly, which is always suspect, methinks you may be right. Only Mick and Keef are members of "The Rolling Stone's, Inc", and everyone else is a paid band member. Still, not a bad way to make a living...

Well they could do what my band is doing now. We don't have a bass player. There are three of us that can play bass and we swap out during our gigs. Here's how we work it...

We arrange our setlists for a minimal amount of swapping, so John plays bass for the first 8 songs, I get the next 6, etc...

We have a keyboard player and sometimes the songs we do don't really call for a keyboard/piano part, so he plays bass on those.

This started out of necessity when our bass player got sick and had to quit on us. Be we all enjoy it, and to be honest with you, I really like playing bass and singing backup.

A brilliant solution!!

:)

Some thoughts on the low end of things...

Bass is usually the first thing I listen to in a band. If the bass player is good, I know I will like the band.

My wife and I were just talking about bass yesterday. She was commenting on bands where she could immediately recognize the bass... Primus, Rage Against the Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers were her examples. I was pretty impressed with her.

Ever notice all really good three piece bands have monster bass players? Zeppelin, Cream, FREE, James Gang, The Who...

And I'll just drop this here... this song (and most Zep songs) are nothing without this guy...

Many guitarists think of and play the the bass as a rhythm instrument. If you are a bass player, you know that's not how to play bass. If you ever want to "feel" what the bass does, listen to "You Should Be Dancing" by the Bee Gees. If you can't stomach the whole song, go to about 2:35 in the song and listen until the bass leaves and then to the end of the song...then you will understand bass.

Can I just say... This was never meant to be a thread about slagging bass players off... Of course I know a good bass when I hear it.. And to be a good bass player is as important if not more important for rhythm.... It was just a funny clip :)

BUT that guy from Who sure could play

Can I just say... This was never meant to be a thread about slagging bass players off... Of course I know a good bass when I hear it.. And to be a good bass player is as important if not more important for rhythm.... It was just a funny clip :)

And it was a funny clip. I just love bass!

Archived