Gibson Brands Forums

Building speed

daveinspain

Well I think the first and most obvious is to use a metronome or some kind of beat.. Play at a speed you can do it with no mistakes and slowly build up the speed of the beat...

After that, do you know about alternate picking? I had some lessons a few years back, didn't work out for me in the end... But one thing I did learn was about alternate picking.. And depending on the riff it makes a difference if your first pick is upwards or downwards....

Play. There is no online help. The more you play the stronger you get, the stronger you get the faster you get, the more you combine those two with more playing, the better you get. Don't look at the neck as much as possible, that confidence will help you not hold back. Walk around and get used to doing two things at once, since that's what you are usually doing when you play. That will help your confidence and your strength when you can play entire songs without thinking about them. Exercises do nothing but make you good at exercises, and I've never been hired because I could play exercises well.

rct

Hmm, I agree with that and not...

Of course playing as much as you can is one of the keys.... BUT not everyone has the time to do that and also I think that if you are to learn a new technique you need to practice it a bit mechanically at first... But you don't then have to keep doing the exercises once you get it down, that's when you incorporate it in to your playing and just try to go with it...

Alternate picking I found made a huge difference to me personally (even though im still crap [rolleyes] )... But then we are also all different aren't we.. So we do things in different ways.. What works for one may not work for someone else...

If you ain't good with your pinkie you'd better solve that problem first!

I can use it to play chords easy enough...

BUT I just never got in to the habit of using it much for lead and scales.. And while I can to an extent, its not strong enough to bend a string very high... And when playing leads you may want that.. Sadly how ever much I seem to practice doing that with my pinky and then just try to play without thinking about it, I revert straight back to the first three fingers..

In my case I think ive just been playing for so long in a certain way... Muscle memory is a big part of all this and de-training yourself to stop doing something you have been doing for 20 years plus is really hard. It wasn till I came on this forum that I even thought much about it all.... I guess when I play I still don't which is why im still crap [rolleyes] (and those sorts of bad habits are where exercises can help, a bit).

Time; it takes a long, long time and you need to use a metronome.

And you must have a daily practice regime rather than a schedule - it won't happen without a lot of application.

I'm still working on it. Things do start to happen (eventually) if you do the work. [thumbup]

I usually do 10-15 minute warm ups, using 3 note on a string, major, and pentatonic scales, just to loosen up, then I "jam" with some backing tracks. I agree that you should learn to use your "pinky", although Clapton has said he never uses his. When doing scales and warmups, use a metronome. You'll hate it but it will give you a gauge of your progress and if you can't play it slow, you'll never play it fast! In addition, I'm a big fan of "alternate fingering" for chords, depending on where you're going to or coming from, and a lot of these involve using your pinky.

Rabs - as for bending, it's ok to use a "partner" regardless of what you're bending (i.e. pinky and ring finger, or ring and middle finger, etc.)

Rabs - as for bending, it's ok to use a "partner" regardless of what you're bending (i.e. pinky and ring finger, or ring and middle finger, etc.)

That is my exact problem actually... When I learned to play I taught myself... So when I started learning lead I just used one finger to bend (usually second or third).. It was only a few years back when I really started studying some technique that I realised that most players tend to bend with supporting fingers behind.. I keep trying to unteach myself that but always seem to go back to what I know in the end...

Its frustrating... And in fact the last time I tried to learn a solo with a big bend in it I ended up with a huge blister on the tip of my finger that I was bending with after like just an hour... not fun.. and really its just a bad habit I need to try and break and the ONLY real way to do that is do exercises until my fingers learn how to do it the right way more naturally.

That is my exact problem actually... When I learned to play I taught myself... So when I started learning lead I just used one finger to bend (usually second or third).. It was only a few years back when I really started studying some technique that I realised that most players tend to bend with supporting fingers behind.. I keep trying to unteach myself that but always seem to go back to what I know in the end...

Its frustrating... And in fact the last time I tried to learn a solo with a big bend in it I ended up with a huge blister on the tip of my finger that I was bending with after like just an hour... not fun.. and really its just a bad habit I need to try and break and the ONLY real way to do that is do exercises until my fingers learn how to do it the right way more naturally.

Actually, without starting an argument with you, because I'd rather help you than argue with you, the only REAL way to do it is to play with others, in all of that context which is a lot, and play as much as you can, even if it is a record. You will learn that you have exactly 1.37 beats in 4/4 time to get that note bent a step and a half and back to where it started and wiggling, and you'll learn to put all of your fingers, your elbow, your shoulder, and your beer glass behind that bend in order to hit it accurately and get back in time. Them guys ain't just flailing around for looks, playing the guitar is very physical, far beyond just our hands.

When doing exercises and stuff, which are good don't get me wrong, there is no context, no pressure if you will, no incentive to get it done right and on time. Without musical context "fast" means nothing, because you really only have to be as "fast" as the song you are playing. Trower or Gibbons? Not so much. Some vintage Hughie Outlaws, or Steve Gaines Skynyrd? Yeah, fast is fast and you have to get there by playing with all of the constraints around you. Or fill in two guitar players you enjoy playing like or with.

rct

Actually, without starting an argument with you, because I'd rather help you than argue with you, the only REAL way to do it is to play with others

rct

Well I agree... I was in a band in my late teens and early 20s and im sure I learned more in those years than I ever learned by myself...

But again we arnt all in a position to do that... After my band years I got in to work and didn't have time to be in a band... Then by the time I was about 30 and wanted to get more in to playing again I couldn't find anyone to play with... I did look on the net for other people but it was mostly 21 year olds in to bands id never even heard of.... Now I probably just don't even have the confidence to go out and play with people I don't know (not that I have tried recently)..

So I am stuck with playing along with a track or using a looper or whatever recording device and laying down a rhythm first and playing over that.. I know its not as good as playing with other people but its all I got... And is better than nothing.. Id rather play the way I do than not at all.

Well I agree... I was in a band in my late teens and early 20s and im sure I learned more in those years than I ever learned by myself...

But again we arnt all in a position to do that... Id rather play the way I do than not at all.

Couldn't have said it better myself brother, just couldn't. As I've said before, even if you (me included) suck, you're still ahead of the guy who can't play...just read Jimmy Buffet's reason for picking up a guitar (and yes, it involves "women") LOL.

1474750361[/url]' post='1801806']

I usually do 10-15 minute warm ups just to loosen up. I agree that you should learn to use your "pinky", although Clapton has said he never uses his. In addition, I'm a big fan of "alternate fingering" for chords, depending on where you're going to or coming from, and a lot of these involve using your pinky.

Lots of great stuff. I don't play in any band so it's just for my enjoyment. I'm still learning on guitar tricks. I hate using my pinky but mostly because of arthritis in it. Plus it's bent at the end more so then the picking pinky. I can use it on chords but if I can cheat and use another finger instead and a great deal of my time, I figure out easier ways of playing chords so I don't have to use it or avoid playing stuff that require it a lot. It just gives out to fast. Playing the first part of stairway to Heaven wipes it out on the hammer ons and hammer offs. Just the pain sets in. I found I can slide my hand a lot to hit some notes with fingers I'm not really supposed to use. So I always warm up too with the guitar boogy and build up speed as I go. It took me awhile to learn the bends. Looked simple but I was surprised how long it took me. I had to use all 4 fingers to bend, now I can do it with 2, still the pinky is left out mostly.

Well I think the first and most obvious is to use a metronome or some kind of beat.. Play at a speed you can do it with no mistakes and slowly build up the speed of the beat...

After that, do you know about alternate picking? I had some lessons a few years back, didn't work out for me in the end... But one thing I did learn was about alternate picking.. And depending on the riff it makes a difference if your first pick is upwards or downwards....

Yeah these are great videos, thanks Rabs just what I was looking for... So I'll be doing the exercises while walking around, adjusting volume and tone and chewing gum because I like what rct recommends as well. Thanks guys!!!

Play. There is no online help. The more you play the stronger you get, the stronger you get the faster you get, the more you combine those two with more playing, the better you get. Don't look at the neck as much as possible, that confidence will help you not hold back. Walk around and get used to doing two things at once, since that's what you are usually doing when you play. That will help your confidence and your strength when you can play entire songs without thinking about them. Exercises do nothing but make you good at exercises, and I've never been hired because I could play exercises well.

rct

+1, Ive learned what I do by just putting on a recording of my fav artists,,plug my gtr + amp in,,and just try to jam+learn what there playing by ear,,,I dont do chord chart books,,lead sheets, YT vids,ect. I learn faster + and accurate by ear and just trying to play what they play.Whatever it might be.

Alternate-pick and get your pinky in until it's second nature. That's how you get fast. In my experience.

Plus, once you automatically alternate-pick everything and use your pinky just like any other finger, you'll find playing is a lot more fun.

i was just starting to learn to build speed and strength and smooth fluent 32nds along about 130 beats per minute with my own leads, (not yet that fast on scales), but getting better everyday playing allot. Then about 2 weeks ago i woke up from a poor sleeping position on my left arm and lost control of my left hand and finger movement. I lost all strength. Now i able to form a fist but not yet fully closed. I am barely able to play anything at all or even fret a note with my first finger. let alone play any exercises. I feel helpless. I am not in pain, i just cannot get my fingers to work.... i am super pissed off about it. Has this ever happen to any of you?

about 2 weeks ago i woke up from a poor sleeping position on my left arm and lost control of my left hand and finger movement. I lost all strength. Now i able to form a fist but not yet fully closed. I am barely able to play anything at all or even fret a note with my first finger. let alone play any exercises. I feel helpless. I am not in pain, i just cannot get my fingers to work.... i am super pissed off about it. Has this ever happen to any of you?

I'm no expert, but I'd say pinched nerve(s) and a Chiropractic adjustment might be in order. Can't hurt, anyway. My 2 cents.

I'm no expert, but I'd say pinched nerve(s) and a Chiropractic adjustment might be in order. Can't hurt, anyway. My 2 cents.

pretty sure pinched nerve is the problem, but how long untill it becomes nerve damage permanently? (cannot afford no back crack doc.) I BETTER be able to play again. My newest LP is not even but a year old.

I tried playing a bit today and i felt it bad in my wrist, not really painful but can tell im straining something in there...probably best i leave it alone till its better yes?

cant decide if working it out or stopping is the best thing

i was just starting to learn to build speed and strength and smooth fluent 32nds along about 130 beats per minute with my own leads, (not yet that fast on scales), but getting better everyday playing allot. Then about 2 weeks ago i woke up from a poor sleeping position on my left arm and lost control of my left hand and finger movement. I lost all strength. Now i able to form a fist but not yet fully closed. I am barely able to play anything at all or even fret a note with my first finger. let alone play any exercises. I feel helpless. I am not in pain, i just cannot get my fingers to work.... i am super pissed off about it. Has this ever happen to any of you?

"...smooth fluent 32nds along about 130 beats per minute" - let me get this right. A 32nd means 8 notes per beat and you are doing this at 130bpm already? 1040 notes per minute?

I have been playing guitar for over 41 years and I'll never, never get that fast. Don't want to and I wouldn't even try. 16ths at 120bpm is hard and fast enough for me in practice.

No wonder you can't play at all because you MUST have completely strained all the relevant tendons and muscles in your left arm and hand. It will recover...if you give it time.

"...smooth fluent 32nds along about 130 beats per minute" - let me get this right. A 32nd means 8 notes per beat and you are doing this at 130bpm already? 1040 notes per minute?

I have been playing guitar for over 41 years and I'll never, never get that fast. Don't want to and I wouldn't even try. 16ths at 120bpm is hard and fast enough for me in practice.

No wonder you can't play at all because you MUST have completely strained all the relevant tendons and muscles in your left arm and hand. It will recover...if you give it time.

Tell that to Vito Bratta, it ended his career. Super human guitar playing is not only not real pleasant for most non super humans to listen to, it is bad for everything from your shoulder down. Play as fast as you need to to get some applause at the end, which isn't very fast for most stuff people want to listen to.

rct

None of 'em blat out notes-per-beat as quick as this guy here does

Archived