Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Gibson L-1 Robert Johnson.

jimmyboy

I just bought a 2008 L-1 Robert Johnson and absolutely love it.It has ebony fretboard bridge.Then I see another L-1 Robert Johnson (2012 model) on ebay with regular bridge and long saddle (mine has pyramid bridge with slotted saddle) and both fingerboard and bridge are rosewood.

Now I was wondering if are there any different between these two L-1 Robert Johnson model beside the material? Bracing, scale length, anything?

Hi.. I think everything is the same old verses New.. if you got the ebony.. great.. I dont think Gibson has anymore to put on there guitars.. I also dont think that the newer ones have IRW.. its someother Knock off wood in its place..

for all I know it could be sawdust glued together..

Hi.. I think everything is the same old verses New.. if you got the ebony.. great.. I dont think Gibson has anymore to put on there guitars.. I also dont think that the newer ones have IRW.. its someother Knock off wood in its place..

for all I know it could be sawdust glued together..

20160926_123426.jpg

20160926_123749.jpg

I think Gibson stop using ebony from 2012 and beyond and mine has ebony on it but I have to admit that it's the low grade one.You can see there are some brown on the bridge and fingerboard like newer Taylor guitars with Ebony.But hey...This is the cheapest Gibson L-1 you can get today,can't afford the 1929 reissued or the one with Andirondack top.

20160926_124938.jpg

Everything on this guitar looks cheap except for the sound.It speaks to me.What else can I asked for more?

20160926_123426.jpg

20160926_123749.jpg

I think Gibson stop using ebony from 2012 and beyond and mine has ebony on it but I have to admit that it's the low grade one.You can see there are some brown on the bridge and fingerboard like newer Taylor guitars with Ebony.But hey...This is the cheapest Gibson L-1 you can get today,can't afford the 1929 reissued or the one with Andirondack top.

20160926_124938.jpg

Everything on this guitar looks cheap except for the sound.It speaks to me.What else can I asked for more?

I dont think they look cheap at all. They are built well. And they have that small body tone. But. For the money to buy today. I think there to expensive and not worth the money spent. A l1 is just a l1. I myself to buy the endorsed guitars. Most of the musicans back in the day are not around. And i dont believe in paying any one for a signiture. Except lawyers when it has to be done.

Here's an excerpt from Vintage Guitars Info

Also the L-0, L-00 and L-1 models were very lightly constructed guitars. They were inexpensive at the time (and still are!), and had light bracing, thin woods, and thin finishes. This made them sound great! But it also meant they broke easily. Putting heavy strings on one of these pre-war L-0, L-00 or L-1 guitar will literially make it come apart at the seams. These models are not built for heavy strings!

From what you described, yours sounds authentic. I have one of the L00 reissues and it weighs 3.2 pounds. Nothing very fancy but a great sound. As mentioned above, don't use heavy strings.

As far as ebony, I have a 2014 that has ebony, so I don't know that Gibson is not using it anymore or just saving it for special runs.

Archived