Gibson Brands Forums

If I wanted an electric guitar...

Jesse_Dylan

I know, I should be posting in the electric section.

I have heard rumors that one can acquire a 2015 Gibson electric with the G-Force tuners for quite cheap. To be honest, I really like the G-Force tuners (though they're be less useful on an electric, in my opinion).

However, I have not seen this on the internet. I see no exceedingly cheap, G-Force-equipped Les Pauls or anything else out there.

My leanings would be toward something cheap and simple. I know there used to be Melody Makers and I think Les Paul Jrs. with only one pickup. There is also something out there now called the Les Paul CM HP. I don't know what the CM stands for, but I think the HP ("High Performance") means G-Force tuners, and it's available with and without.

Probably won't grab one anytime soon, but for awhile I've been thinking it might be nice to have an electric guitar and some kind of really simple, small amp. I used to have a cheap Korean copy of a Guild and a MASSIVE tube amp. Now I would like a good, but simple, American Gibson electric and a small, cheap tube amp (or even non-tube). My previous tube amp was heavier than the planet itself.

I've played electric guitar for quite awhile and actually learned on one before I got a flattop about 45 years ago. In my experience if you really want a guitar that 'feels' like a flattop, is very responsive to technique & attack like a flattop, and as a bonus stays in tune forever get some version of a plain old 2-pickup Fender Telecaster. Took me about 30 years to figure that out.

I know, I should be posting in the electric section.

I have heard rumors that one can acquire a 2015 Gibson electric with the G-Force tuners for quite cheap. To be honest, I really like the G-Force tuners (though they're be less useful on an electric, in my opinion).

However, I have not seen this on the internet. I see no exceedingly cheap, G-Force-equipped Les Pauls or anything else out there.

My leanings would be toward something cheap and simple. I know there used to be Melody Makers and I think Les Paul Jrs. with only one pickup. There is also something out there now called the Les Paul CM HP. I don't know what the CM stands for, but I think the HP ("High Performance") means G-Force tuners, and it's available with and without.

Probably won't grab one anytime soon, but for awhile I've been thinking it might be nice to have an electric guitar and some kind of really simple, small amp. I used to have a cheap Korean copy of a Guild and a MASSIVE tube amp. Now I would like a good, but simple, American Gibson electric and a small, cheap tube amp (or even non-tube). My previous tube amp was heavier than the planet itself.

Why not just buy an Epiphone authorized copy of a Gibson. Sure they are made overseas, but they are the lower priced versions of Gibsons in today's market place,...which seems to be what you are looking for in terms of buying an electric.

Personally, with many of today's acoustics having pickups on them and with aftermarket sound hole pickups available, why not just stick with an acoustic with a pickup? They don't sound all that much different than an electric especially

with the tons of reasonably priced effects pedals now available. Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Buc's Junior earlier in the thread made me think of a whole other approach...

Some back story:

I always mentally categorized acoustic guitars and electric guitars as here and there because of my background with skinny neck Telecaster and Strat. My 50s Gibson LG type guitars have the chunky C necks I like even though the nut width are 1 11/16" - really playable!

So I was trying a Dobro in a pawn shop for a friend and that was a fail, but looked over and I said: "What's that?"

Grabbed the 1952 Gibson ES125 off the rack and guess what? It has the identical neck as my 1959 LG3! So I can fingerpick away like on my LG3, but with an ELECTRIC GUITAR. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

And it has the famous growling P90 pickup for anything from Jazz to George Thorogood.........

And the friend who wanted that Dobro in the pawn shop saw my ES125 buy and said: "I want! That is COOL!"

Plenty around - here's an eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson-ES125-/231837078656

BluesKing777.

When Les died, I realized I didn't have a Les Paul, although I'd owned one before and gigged with it for years.

I bought an '08 Wine Red Studio. I used it for a backup for a few months, but when I quit drinking, I quit gigging.

I think it was about $1400 (new), and it's chambered (which rocks, I have no idea why people are against chambering), but it's before they started ruining Les Pauls. It has no coil splitters, no electric tuners, and I'll probably just keep it forever even though I almost never play electrics anymore.

I bet a like new Studio would be cheap.

Crappy pic from the old days. Yes those are side-fill monitors. (from Hell....)

100_0522.jpg

Was a nice big stage though, huge room.

100_0528.jpg

Ive got a 90's Les Paul, great tone, bought by Mrs EA as a surprise birthday present ....... never play it. Just too darn heavy plus, more importantly i feel dont know how to play electrics. Even though electric guitar players tell me i play my acoustic a lot like an electric, with all the rock songs we do and quite a bit of palm muting.

I think if i was going to get en electric it would be a Gretsch, i like the feel, sound and weight of them, the hollow bodied versions .... The White Falcon would make me happy i think.

It would help to know what you're looking to get involved with cash wise.

it almost sounds like an Epiphone of some sort would scratch the itch.

A 339 pro are pretty nice for the money, (not expensive)

Amps, -- fender mustang's are pretty versatile, and wont set ya back a lot either.

you could probably get the whole she bang (339+amp) for around 600 (USD)

Buc's Junior earlier in the thread made me think of a whole other approach...

Some back story:

I always mentally categorized acoustic guitars and electric guitars as here and there because of my background with skinny neck Telecaster and Strat. My 50s Gibson LG type guitars have the chunky C necks I like even though the nut width are 1 11/16" - really playable!

So I was trying a Dobro in a pawn shop for a friend and that was a fail, but looked over and I said: "What's that?"

Grabbed the 1952 Gibson ES125 off the rack and guess what? It has the identical neck as my 1959 LG3! So I can fingerpick away like on my LG3, but with an ELECTRIC GUITAR. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

And it has the famous growling P90 pickup for anything from Jazz to George Thorogood.........

And the friend who wanted that Dobro in the pawn shop saw my ES125 buy and said: "I want! That is COOL!"

Plenty around - here's an eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson-ES125-/231837078656

BluesKing777.

I have a 1965 125TC (the thin line hollow body version of the 125 with a cutaway.). Being from the mid-60's it has the same thinner neck as my 1965 LG1. It has a P90 on it. It's a great electric and a suitable acoustic, though the thin line body makes it a quiet acoustic. Epiphone is coming out with an "inspired by Century" with a P90 that is the equivalent of a 125T, a thin line 125, without a cutaway. They also have out their Century series which is basically a 125 with some sort of under saddle pickup...that would play full arch top acoustic like the 125 as well as electric.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

BTW, I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Junior in my collection. Bought mine for $99 about 15 years ago. Mine has a P90 in it. Epi still makes the LPJr, I think they sell for about $149 new now. The current version has a Humbucker pickup in it. My LPJr satisfies having a solid body electric to me. Plays fine. Mine is black.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

BTW, I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Junior in my collection. Bought mine for $99 about 15 years ago. Mine has a P90 in it. Epi still makes the LPJr, I think they sell for about $149 new now. The current version has a Humbucker pickup in it. My LPJr satisfies having a solid body electric to me. Plays fine. Mine is black.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think my interest was not just in cheapness but in the G-Force tuners, as in I'd actually like to have them, and if they can be had on a non-desirable (and therefore cheaper) guitar, I'd totally go for it. But maybe all the non-desirable ones have been purchased already.

I think I would be happy to stay under $1000, or even $1000 for the guitar and another $100 or so for a small amp.

I am also attracted to the simplicity of something like an LPJ or a Melody Maker or the like.

I would want to stick with Gibson USA. I guess I am just not up on what they sell now. Something simple, something with the G-Force tuners, and not above $1200.

I have too many guitars, but electrics don't have to count...

I'd didn't realize they had changed the internals to less desirable innards recently though. :( I thought it was only the tuners people were mad about (and I like the tuners!).

I'd consider having a neck pickup as well -

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded/High-Performance.aspx

The amp could be some sort of Roland Cube series. Cheap and very good.

Best wishes. B)

That one is cool!! It says it's about 5 lbs. Is that standard (heavy) Les Paul weight?

I have to admit I still like the idea of something light and simple and kind of weird like the LPJ. I think I'd like that one too though.

Gibson S-1

I new someone else that bought one of these for $1250 and they LOOOOOVED it... I have always been curious to own one as they evidently are very Strat-like, but a Gibson... and pretty cool looking inexpensive electrics.

Here is Angel Olsen playing one on Letterman

Ron Wood in the original advertisement with a review

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005/10/gibson-s-1.html

https://reverb.com/item/36983-gibson-s-1-1978-mahogany-all-original

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Gibson-S-1-/262642610735?hash=item3d26b8322f:g:SaQAAOSw8w1X2tfG

Oh, since its kind of a beater guitar, why not just add the G-Force Tuners

https://reverb.com/item/2920569-gibson-g-force-automatic-tuning-system-2015?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CJb0qp7Wrs8CFQ-oaQod7p8F5Q

My personal recommendation is trying some of each of the "Big Four" solid-bodies first - in order of their advent Telecaster, Les Paul, Stratocaster, and SG. I would try Fender and Squier as well as Gibson and Epiphone.

Then it can be interesting to shop around including other builds like ES models, and other manufacturers, too.

Playing through a nice clean amp will give you the most meaningful impressions of what their specific sound is like. Using the same amp with - except volume - same settings for different guitars is a good idea for getting a valid overview.

That one is cool!! It says it's about 5 lbs. Is that standard (heavy) Les Paul weight?

I have a 2011 Les Paul Standard (chambered) that weighs nearly twice that much.

I can confirm that quite precisely for a 2011 Limited Run Standard and a 2012 modern weight-relieved Standard each, and interestingly a 2013 solid Traditional as well. They all are around 9 lbs 5 oz.

No problem here though. Some of my basses are heavier. [biggrin]

Hi My vote and recommendations would these Burns - Marvin Gibson - Les Paul Fender - Telecaster ( A secondhand Jerry Donahue.Tele would be my choice )

But my no 1 choice would be a Taylor T5 or T5z that way you would have the feel of a good well setup acoustic but with the sounds on tap of an electric when needed

Oh, it occurred to me that cheap usually breaks in the first set of the first gig, so if the band was gettin' back together for the mission (Blues Bros), I ain't leaving home without the Gibson Les Paul 59 True Historic:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul.aspx

Fender Strat Custom Shop relic:

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/series/limited-edition/limited-1956-relic-stratocaster-1-piece-maple-neck-wide-fade-2-color-sunburst/

For slide - National Revolver:

http://www.nationalguitars.com/revolver

Amp - Mesa Boogie Lonestar for the power:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/lone-star-series/lone-star/index.html

And the Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb as my PREAMP!!!!! HA HA HAHA (Mad, demonic laughter)

http://intl.fender.com/en-AU/series/vintage-reissue/65-deluxe-reverb-120v/

Bring the truck, roadie and let me know when it's all loadedin!

BluesKing777.

Don't play the electric out very much any more but for me it's the 59dot 335 RI through my MusicMan 212- sixty five .

Sometimes I drag out my 61 Rickenbacker 450 combo it's like a time machine.... =D>

When playing at the house I use my Fender Gdec it's a blast

That 5 pound weight is for the body only (not neck, electronics and all the rest).

Get to your local friendly guitar retailer and see what floats your boat.

Even if you've settled on a Les Paul Studio you'll find a lot of variance in the way they feel and play.

FWIW, I have an older Les Paul Studio which I got used for $600 and I liked it better than the $2500 and up Les Pauls that I tried that day. It just felt right to me.

Those G-Force tuners, I dunno about them. They seem to have lots of problems and we all know how rapidly electric gizmos and specialty batteries go obsolete.

They're made in China if I'm not mistaken.

That 5 pound weight is for the body only (not neck, electronics and all the rest).

Get to your local friendly guitar retailer and see what floats your boat.

Even if you've settled on a Les Paul Studio you'll find a lot of variance in the way they feel and play.

FWIW, I have an older Les Paul Studio which I got used for $600 and I liked it better than the $2500 and up Les Pauls that I tried that day. It just felt right to me.

Those G-Force tuners, I dunno about them. They seem to have lots of problems and we all know how rapidly electric gizmos and specialty batteries go obsolete.

They're made in China if I'm not mistaken.

Nah, they're made in Germany, and I've put them on a few of my Gibson acoustics myself because I like them so much! They're not for everyone, but they're great for lazy people like me. I gave up on non-standard tuning years ago, and now I'm all over the place. As for what's made in China, that's pretty much every other tuner that Gibson uses. Grovers are made in China, even the fancy ones.

No local Gibson dealer anymore, I'm afraid. The 2015 model year scared them off, and they became Martin dealers instead.

I am really looking into the Gibson Midtown models, though I'm still really interested in a Les Paul Jr. or something to that effect.

In the end, I might just end up with a Les Paul CM HP model. The price is right, and I guess they have replaced the LPJ. And the Midtown seems to be gone entirely. But I'm not ready to buy yet anyway.

At the moment on Reverb, this is a new old stock 2015 Gibson Midtown Standard for $1000 with lifetime warranty...

...and a used, mint condition of the same for $750 (no warranty on that one obviously)...

Both are in black, which is kind of cool (though I'd originally intended sunburst).

Archived