Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday Evening / Sir Paul Attempt

MorrisrownSal

Sounded pretty good to me Sal, have you tried tuning down a half step for this song? Might be easier to get the high stuff.

Jalex... I think you are right. I am hesitant to though, because it is not realistic that I would retune my guitar in a set... and I dont want to bring more than one guitar.

But I'll try that for just my own recording purposes at home, because you are right... I think it would work better.

Jalex... I think you are right. I am hesitant to though, because it is not realistic that I would retune my guitar in a set... and I dont want to bring more than one guitar.

But I'll try that for just my own recording purposes at home, because you are right... I think it would work better.

Yeah, I'm not much of a singer myself but I've noticed tuning down a half step makes singing a lot easier for me.

That's a heck of tune to breath to, ain't it Sal, let alone sing it! Well done! Very nice guitar playing, brother! [thumbup] Vocally you're hitting the high phrases, but not comfortably so. Couple things you could do for the 10/8 show.....

Capo up to the third and do it in E flat. Or capo at the fourth and do it in E. Either is raising the key on the guitar but will allow you to drop your voice to a lower starting register that may well work better for you........particularly in a live setting. This would allow you to stay in standard tuning with the rest of the guys. In E, your capo-ed guitar would be a nice voice with a second guitar playing open string chording.

Tune down a half step and see if it works better for you vocally..........half step ain't much but it can make a difference. If that's the ticket, find three or four other tunes that will work well in the lowered tuning and do them in succession at the end of a set......you can retune to pitch during the break. Or - as I intend to do, should I ever get out of the house with this guitar! - drop a capo on the first fret to get back to standard tuning. The guitar sounds great at the first, fret reaches are just a bit shorter than they are open. I very much enjoy the lesser tension of tuning down, the strings have that "just right" feel under the fingers. Dropping a capo at the first to get to standard is good for me. YMMV.

Oh.....and is it sweatshirt weather up there already?

Sal, no doubt I enjoyed it, even though as the guys are saying it may work better in a different key. That guitar sure is a winner, and the vocal was tasteful and soft...although maybe would be served better in a different key.

I don't even want to try to hit those notes...I'm scared I'd hurt myself.

My range is not big at all, and finding the right key or the right artist to cover is often a struggle...as I kind of feel like I'm cheating if I bring it down a bunch.

Beatles songs give me trouble. I love to play and sing "With a Little Help From My Friends" but I play James Taylor's arrangement. His key fits my voice like a glove, and it's got his guitar style too which I love. I cannot sing Beatles tunes in their original key, man, so it's not only you. You've got a much bigger range than me.

I think this is good Sal,I know you hear that you are at the edge of your range but no one else will. If you are standing when you perform it that will help too.

Certainly don't sing it in a lower register as it is a sing out song as Paul is a master of, he wrote it for himself. You could try it capo three so E flat which is a kinder C but if you can keep it in C natural it is best for the song.

that's a great tune Sal

Try to Capo up on the 4th or 5th fret. that should let you sing in a more natural voice with having to go falsetto.

I know for me, when I get to the higher parts, I just have to push a lot more air out of my diaphragm

Didn't get back to this thread yesterday but yes, seems to be much more in your comfort zone, You may even find if you go up a 1/2 step, you're still there.

with acoustics and vocal arrangements, capos are quite handy.

I have a bunch, some are partials. (drop D, double drop D, short cut)... makes for some interesting combinations when you use a partial capo with a standard one a hole step behind them.

I guess you have tried capo 2 which could be the answer but for my money I still think open C is your best. Played with others and helped by a glass or two you'll me great.

The thrill of the fight wil always take the capo down a fret or two that's for sure . What you do in the bedroom doesn't equate to a bar full of people

Archived