Gibson Brands Forums

Small Hooray for The Gibson Blues King L-00 Among All The Wildlife

BluesKing777

Well, I grabbed the BK for a tune through my Boss Acoustic Guitar gadget...oh oh...flat battery. Now that is my BK's only let down - changing that battery for the Baggs pickup in the bag/clip arrangement near the neck block in the soundhole! What genius thought of that? The last battery has lasted quite a while - since I have my battery checker, it only gets good batteries going through the rigmarole.

So I tried sneaking my hand in there to grab the battery - sometimes you can fluke it. Nope.

Then I loosened the 2 deeper strings - sometimes you can fluke it that way. Nope.

Then I loosened ALL the strings - sometimes you can fluke it. Nope.

Then I put a capo on around the 7th fret and pulled all the strings from the bridge, grabbed that battery sucker, changed it and reverse engineered everything I just did.

Plugged it through my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI box, tried it with my J45 image, too gunky; selected the nearest Gibson small body image they had online and I previously downloaded - the Gibson RJ!

Perfect!!! Just perfect.

Ran it through my Boss VE-8 acoustic guitar/vocal gadget. Really, really nice sound for the L-00. played a couple of tunes and a bit of a sing and looked at the clock - rats. Lunch time OVER - back to works. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

TwoGibsons1_zps983c90a8.jpg

BluesKing777.

A friend was trying some of my guitars earlier this year and the Blues King just sent him into spasms!

If I thought he had any money, I might have sold him mine, but anyway the phone rings at some time in the middle of the night, or was I having a nap?, and he has a lead on a Blues King used at a good price but far out in the country - can he try my pickup again? Etc.

But he turns up a few weeks later with the Blues King but mahogany 2013 version, I think he said.

So we both played Blues Kings for the afternoon and stupid, stupid me didn't get a photo or a video of the occasion - a grand occasion! Too busy playing them and in between going: blah blah de blah!..

His wife said we should start an act and we could call ourselves the Blues Brothers Ha Ha Ha! (I was thinking more Laurel and Hardy but anyway, the thought counts).

I better go to his place with camera.

BluesKing777.

I still have the Tusq saddle that came with it!

But if you change the saddle yourself, be careful not to upset the Baggs pickup if you still have it...

Can't help with the trussrod wrench, but aren't Gibson using 5/16? Don't know - never had to tweak it.

If you look at my photo closely you will see the key ingredient to the sound of this great little guitar - some mojo: bone pins are from the finger bones of 7 different drummers (one spare pin) from StewMac for $27.02...... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

key ingredient to the sound of this great little guitar - some mojo: bone pins are from the finger bones of 7 different drummers (one spare pin) from StewMac for $27.02...... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

LOL.......................... :^o

Time for me to change out the tusq nut and saddle......"camel bone!"

The pins in my old Martin 0-17 are shaved and filed drummer teeth, I was told. I point this out if they try to get up and bang while I am playing at the blues jam night... :mellow:

I was trying to jam a snake rattle in the soundhole of the Blues King, but something in there went: Hsssssss! Hsss...Hss..arrrgh! So I put the rattle in the old Martin! [biggrin]

Want another photo? Old one:

BluesKing21b_zpsedf579ff.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived