Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-200 Replica Elvis Presley Acoustic - How Rare?

Tony Trout

This question just popped into my head since I mentioned being an Elvis Presley fan on another forum I visit:

How many of the blone Gibson J-200 "Elvis Presley" replica guitars did Gibson make? How rare are they nowadays? I've always wanted one but - they seem to be quite difficult to find. As ya'll probably know, this guitar was a dead-on replica of the guitar that Elvis used on stage and during tours from 1969-1970 - after 1970 he started using the legendary 1969 Gibson Ebony Dove acoustic guitar that can be seen in the movie, "Elvis On Tour", and in the 1973 television special, "Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii" - he last used the latter guitar during his July shows in Asheville, NC in 1975 when he just simply walked over and gave the guitar to Mike Harris. Graceland auctioned that guitar off recently - I'm not sure who is the owner now.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on a wild goose chase there. I'm simply looking for info regarind the blonde Gibson J-200 that Gibson reproduced (as did Epiphone) that has "ELVIS PRESLEY" and two stars engraved into the fretboard.

Thanks!

post-77130-022261200 1474904269_thumb.jpg

Gibson made 217 from 1996 to 2003. The big year was 1996 when they made 104. There were probably more made after 2003 but I got tired of looking. Production was down to 7 in 2003 They will probably be difficult to find as the folks that got them were impersonators and diehard fans. They probably won't sell them.

FWIW I set up an alert on Ebay so that whenever a Epiphone J-200 Elvis showed up it would let me know. I think I let it run for two years (it may be still running for all I know). The point is that in those two years I only got a handful of hits on that guitar and there were no bargains.

But, now that I've written that, here's one: pretty good price too.

Epiphone Elvis J-200

Archived