Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird Madness

SteveFord

I've had 3 Firebirds, sold them all and kicked myself each time.

Yesterday one just said Buy Me, Buy Me, you idiot! so I did.

It should be here by the end of the week so happy real early Birthday to me!

This is a 2014 so no nibs, 120th logo on the fret board and a real case.

The wood grain just pushed me over the edge.

firebird3.jpg

firebird2.jpg

firbird1.jpg

Congrats Steve!!!!! [thumbup]

I bought a 2016 Firebird T last December from Wildwood guitars and, like you - having owned Firebirds before and selling or trading them I can honestly say I am finally happy with this one & will keep it until they pry it from my cold dead hands. Enjoy it brother!

DSF10VSCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Thank you one and all.

Looking at the 2017 Firebird T line up got me thinking about them again and reading everyone's comments about their 2016s made me miss my 2013 that I sold to fund some stereo amps.

I woke up the other morning, got bored and I was only kind halfway sorta thinking about getting another one someday and then I spied this one and that was the end of that.

I really shouldn't have done it right now but oh well!, I'll be glad I did later on.

I'll post my impressions when it shows.

jdgm,

This one I really DO plan on keeping!

The 2013 I sold was awfully nice and I told the guy who bought it that if he decided he didn't like it I'd buy it back and I put all of my contact info in the case just for good measure.

I never heard back; that guitar would just ring like crazy, even unplugged. I think it's the neck through body construction that makes them behave the way they do.

Great looking Firebird.

A 1964 Firebird III was in fact my first Gibson. As I moved on to Les Pauls and Strats, and then to semis and archtops, the Firebird got neglected. I finally sent it to the Dallas guitar show in 1994 to be sold, and I believe it ended up going to European collector.

Here's a pic of the old girl from sometime in the late 70's or early 80's:

2325678604_2735f1fc29.jpg

I do think the reverse Firebird was one of the COOLEST designs Gibson ever came up with. Along with Johnny Winter (of course), in my neck of the woods Dave Mason was a huge Firebird inspiration.

I had a Firebird waaaaay back in the early-mid '90s. It didn't last long in my lineup.

It was a cool axe, but very headstock-heavy… as you can see in the pic of a very young darling67 needing to balance the rear with his right hand—lest it tilt downward to the floor.

I can't say if I've ever noticed the neck heaviness or not, it's been a while since I've had one.

I just use a suede strap for guitars that do that and then they stay put.

I would like to get one additional Firebird after this one: a 2006 Firebird VII.

It just about killed me to sell mine and I've missed it ever since. So what if only the bridge pick up sounded good, that was a tremendous guitar.

Maybe next year...

I can't say if I've ever noticed the neck heaviness or not, it's been a while since I've had one.

I would like to get one additional Firebird after this one: a 2006 Firebird VII.

It just about killed me to sell mine and I've missed it ever since. So what if only the bridge pick up sounded good, that was a tremendous guitar.

Maybe next year...

DSF7CHLG-8b9a9be94389429d8abf6aebbe1d04da.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhh [drool]

That would have been handy info to have back then! Haha!

In the end, that wasn't the main reason I sold it. I thought, at the time, it didn't sound different enough than my SG... so I didn't see the point in keeping it. But I am sure I'd hear/think differently today.

Yep that was it but mine was a metallic red - it had that top of the line feel to it with the ebony fret fret board,

Just a really great guitar.

Heavy sucker, too.

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2008/4-19-08/gibson-firebird-vii-car--4-17-08.html

Yeah that one looks even more killer. You're giving me Firebird G.A.S. for that one [cursing]

[drool][love] :)

Archived