Gibson Brands Forums

Sleepwalkin'

BluesKing777

Have a listen and tell us which version of Sleepwalk you like best!

I was looking at something else on Youtube and on the sidebar was an acoustic version of Sleepwalk with Chet Atkins and Leo Kotke:

Here is the original version with lap steel from Santo and Johhny:

A stunner from Jeff Beck on strat:

Richie Valens:

Ventures:

Ventures with Skunk Baxter:

The Shadows:

Brian Setzer:

And on and on the versions come.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BluesKing777.

Many years ago I sat down with Chet Atkins & Leo Kottke and taught them everything I know. Obviously, they took it from there and added a few licks of their own. I'm proud of them. [thumbup] [thumbup]

That Leo is always pinching my stuff!

I never saw the (original) Santo and Johnny clip when it came out, but we sure heard it!

Context is all innocence to begin with a transistor radio on a surf beach and blues skies and coconuts, and then a short few years later a surfer riding a tube with a cameraman behind, and on up to Morning of the Earth surf film and Endless Summer and a few more years to the smell of coconuts mixed with hemp......

And then a Steven King movie (Sleepwalkers) had the tune as the end credits were rolling and it turned it really creepy..... [scared]

And it isn't much of a song to play on your own - the chords sound good and the slide sounds good but alone....not much....and a chord melody arrangement...elevators!

BluesKing777.

All that "surf music" was pretty cool stuff. Especially when you were a young teenager. I really dug The Ventures. Pretty sure I bought every album they made. Still have a lot of them. Great music. Great musicians. Their sound was magic to me. Super music for cruising-around looking for girls. There really was something different about the music of the 50's and 60's. Fortunately, the great musicians of today can do it well.

I like most of them, but after learning a bit of lap steel years back, that Santo and Johnny original version has it all, even though they could be miming on the clip from youtube - where's the band? Love the chords in the backing guitar and the arrangement on the steel is just truly superb with clean notes and then added chord fragments and all!

I have played both parts and the slide is ok on my National but hard to get the real high notes unless playing lap style but generally pretty shite so nobody will hear it!

BluesKing777.

Archived