Gibson Brands Forums

Are 2015 Custom Safe to Buy?

Metallica1

Guest Farnsbarns

Really depends upon what the complaints are and whether they're negatives to you.

Do you mean Les Paul custom (which is a model) or custom shop guitars of all types?

Is this safe to buy? Do any Custom Silverburst have known defects?

2015 Custom Silverburst or Custom Ebony

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPCSLBCH

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPCEBCH

With serial numbers saying "CS6....." all the guitars currently listed in the links were made in 2016.

Looks fine to me, but then so do the 2015 models. What specifically is worrying you?

The only issue I am aware of is the 2015 used brass for the integral nut/zero fret which was too soft a material. Gibson provided a titanium replacement to those that wanted it.

The silverburst in your link has a conventional nut judging by the picture (bone or plastic).

The 2015’s had a wider neck: 1.795” at the nut. The regular size is 1.695”.

At 1.687” the silverburst is .008” even smaller than the regular nut. So not at all like the 2015.

2015 also brought in higher grade wiring. Would that be a problem?

I notice the fingerboard of the silverburst is ritchlite. Some don’t like this, though personally I would definitely prefer it to rosewood. Richlite is artificial and comprised of resin and paper. Its more expensive than ebony according to Gibson. Most 2015 models used rosewood.

http://www.surfacematter.co.uk/materials/richlite?gclid=CP7el7T3r88CFYgW0wod-SUK2g

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Building-a-Better-Fingerboard.aspx

any use?

I went through 4 2014 Les Paul Customs in Ebony before I got a good one. The other three had uneven height frets being high on some low sides and high on the others. There was also one that the finish left the exposed wood around the neck joint and like the side had been dragged across the floor. I was told the 2015s were worse and to not even attempt to buy one of those. This was guitar center and they searched till they found 3 new 2014 LP Customs and the very last one from Georgia Guitar Center was perfect. A lot of Gibson 2015 models are just a shot in the dark, Gibson lost a lot of money on the poor manufacturing of the 2015s.....I'd recommend passing on that 2015 if you have not seen it, or you can return it if it isn't right if you ordered it online.

I read a ton of complaints on Gibson 2015 line. Does that apply to the entire line including Custom?

The complaints about the 2015 line was mainly due to the fact that they had wide neck/boards, auto tuning and soft brass zero frets (which they have now fixed) on the WHOLE 2015 USA production line up and no choice but to like it or lump it..

Didn't apply to the custom shop if that's what you are asking.

But lets face it.. People like to complain no matter what so I wouldn't put that much faith in it.. Go try one and see for yourself.

Guest Farnsbarns

I went through 4 2014 Les Paul Customs in Ebony before I got a good one. The other three had uneven height frets being high on some low sides and high on the others. There was also one that the finish left the exposed wood around the neck joint and like the side had been dragged across the floor. I was told the 2015s were worse and to not even attempt to buy one of those. This was guitar center and they searched till they found 3 new 2014 LP Customs and the very last one from Georgia Guitar Center was perfect. A lot of Gibson 2015 models are just a shot in the dark, Gibson lost a lot of money on the poor manufacturing of the 2015s.....I'd recommend passing on that 2015 if you have not seen it, or you can return it if it isn't right if you ordered it online.

I'm very interested to hear you say

Gibson lost a lot of money on the poor manufacturing of the 2015s. Where did that information come from? Is it reliable? I'd be keen to know more.

I'm very interested to hear you say

Gibson lost a lot of money on the poor manufacturing of the 2015s. Where did that information come from? Is it reliable? I'd be keen to know more.

Well, I have spoken to several local dealers here in the Netherlands. They told me last year how they struggled to get rid of the 2015 Gibson USA guitars. So yeah, what you saw was prices dropped a lot afterwards, and the dealers - still - had trouble moving them. But hell, that's just over here. I have no idea what's it been like for American dealers.

Well, I have spoken to several local dealers here in the Netherlands. They told me last year how they struggled to get rid of the 2015 Gibson USA guitars. So yeah, what you saw was prices dropped a lot afterwards, and the dealers - still - had trouble moving them. But hell, that's just over here. I have no idea what's it been like for American dealers.

Chinese whispers eh? :lol:

The 2015 Nashville models were unpopular due to spec (and cosmetic) changes. Not quality issues.

2015 Memphis models featured none of these changes. Nor Custom.

Chinese whispers eh? :lol:

The 2015 Nashville models were unpopular due to spec (and cosmetic) changes. Not quality issues.

2015 Memphis models featured none of these changes. Nor Custom.

Exactly! That's what I said in another thread. Memphis and Custom made some fantastic guitars for the more historic guitar player. Gibson USA is more about innovation and pushing thise boundaries. To each their own, of course. I'm more leaning towards Custom guitars, but others are more into USA guitars.

Archived