Gibson Brands Forums

GuitarLight has imploded !!

EuroAussie

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;

or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,

and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Oddly, Congress hasn't said squat about the Gibson forum. What's up with that?

rolleyes.gif

A yellow flag always goes up when I read how a troller on an Internet forum erroneously gives the argument along the lines of the US constitution guarantees them freedom of speech to be mean spirited ...when it gives freedom of speech to the press and the right to peaceably assemble on public property...neither of which are a private Internet forum (which has the right to guard what is said, especially if it's mean spirited or just narcistic trolling.). The constitution doesn''t govern private or public enterprises , as they can set their own policies and procedures...the reason a person can get fired for insubordination talk to a superior or harassing co-workers or customers. I for one like it when forums have a moderator who keeps things civilized, because frankly, trollers can cause havoc and ruin a civilized forum. I quit one about 9 years ago that a troller ruined and have never looked back on my quitting it because all it was was a bunch of wasted time trying get the troller to become reasonable (when his object was simply to be disruptive. There are all kinds out there.)

Just my two cents...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I got myself banned for life over there. Didn't do it in a blaze of glory like that. Instead I sent a PM to a moderator after getting banned repeatedly for a week at a time telling him to delete me from that place forever. Even if you disagree with someone in a respectful way, without brand bashing, using fowl language or insults, you're still going to ruffle some moderators panties if you don't go along with the masses. They play favorites for sure there. I've called out sponsors for replying to posts where it was an obvious conflict of interest and the mods shut that down real quick as well. Very insecure bunch over there.

I got myself banned on ABC News internet 'forum' or Comment area. Does that count?

I guess I was Politically Incorrect three too many times.

Here, we hava a civilized bunch (except for Guitar Lite who ISN't here...) and an area of discussion that is hard to get emotional about.

But - with "Current Events', inaccurate news reports and more Trollers than people - it's hard not to occasionally slap some of the more egregious down on places like ABC.

I guess we all experience that on other 'forums' and FarseBook - so it makes us more tolerant here.

See how I turned a negative into a positive?

Mark, I think you've done a great job at the AGF trying to get a bit of balance and give at least the Gibson guys a chance to swim a bit against the tide. And im starting to see a change in attitudes, probably the J-15 and J-35 had a lot to do with that also. But its good to see folks there are starting to learn a bit of perspective and stop running with the herd. The AGF is a funny beast, feels like Church of Scientology at times, but on the other hand Ive learnt a lot there and it has been helpful immensely.

Plus Ive learnt how to be cheeky and get away without getting banned, at least not for past 4 years or so .. ;-)

Good to have you here Mark, drop in when you need to freshen up.

I don't remember "standing up" for GL - I'm not saying it never happened, I'm just saying I don't remember it. I love Gibson Acoustic, and as an AGF moderator I take special care to make sure the finest acoustic guitars in the world don't get bashed there. For a long time it was pretty normal to see anti-Gibson threads or posts there from people that have little experience with the brand. If you read through the threads nowadays, you'll see that it happens rarely now. I guess it was inevitable that GL and I would clash. I didn't do his final ban, but the moderators there found consensus. Strange little person.

Mark, I think you've done a great job at the AGF trying to get a bit of balance and give at least the Gibson guys a chance to swim a bit against the tide. And im starting to see a change in attitudes, probably the J-15 and J-35 had a lot to do with that also. But its good to see folks there are starting to learn a bit of perspective and stop running with the herd. The AGF is a funny beast, feels like Church of Scientology at times, but on the other hand Ive learnt a lot there and it has been helpful immensely.

Plus Ive learnt how to be cheeky and get away without getting banned, at least not for past 4 years or so .. ;-)

Good to have you here Mark, drop in when you need to freshen up.

I've been a member here for a little over 3 years but rarely post. But it is definitely a well-moderated and friendly stop on the internet! Sometimes I come by to take a break . . . AGF is definitely a funny place, but I love it there. [thumbup]

One of the keys to participating in a good discussion on the internet is having the ability to remain civil. GL seemed to be incapable of doing that when he was on this board.

Sad to see someone carrying around so much anger, especially about something that should inherently be fun and relaxing.

Time to go fingerpick a few tunes!

Geez, I go away for a few months and the whole world explodes.

The whole concept of free speech is pretty widely misunderstood. In its formal (Constitutional) sense, it just stops the gummint from making laws limiting speech. It doesn't give folks the "Constitutional" liberty to say anything, anywhere, anytime, to whoever the want.

You can try it, but you may find yourself with a fat lip, banned from some forum or another, sitting in the slammer, or shot dead by someone who took offense to what came out of your piehole. You might be right, but you'd be dead right.

You may or may not get (or deserve) a lot of sympathy. Some of us still value civility. Maybe it's my Southern upbringing.

One of my favorite GL moments was when Sal posted a screen grab of one of his (Sal's) youtube videos.GL had left a comment on it..I'm paraphrasing here but it was something like

"You know nothing about guitar playing and you cannot sing in tune - ever, you are a disgrace"

Sal responded with a comment " Great to hear from you Mom!" ...hehe

1475271526[/url]' post='1803123']

One of my favorite GL moments was when Sal posted a screen grab of one of his (Sal's) youtube videos.GL had left a comment on it..I'm paraphrasing here but it was something like

"You know nothing about guitar playing and you cannot sing in tune - ever, you are a disgrace"

Sal responded with a comment " Great to hear from you Mom!" ...hehe

Hahaha I forgot about that! I think he also used a few words you wouldn't use in church.

GL... find peace. Or a trump vs Hillary MSNBC comment section flame war to insert yourself....

Geez, I go away for a few months and the whole world explodes.

The whole concept of free speech is pretty widely misunderstood. In its formal (Constitutional) sense, it just stops the gummint from making laws limiting speech. It doesn't give folks the "Constitutional" liberty to say anything, anywhere, anytime, to whoever the want.

You can try it, but you may find yourself with a fat lip, banned from some forum or another, sitting in the slammer, or shot dead by someone who took offense to what came out of your piehole. You might be right, but you'd be dead right.

You may or may not get (or deserve) a lot of sympathy. Some of us still value civility. Maybe it's my Southern upbringing.

Glad to see you back, Nick - I was starting to think your boat sunk and you were keeping company with Wilson..... [biggrin]

GuitarLight....

The story I heard was that that one of the AGF guitar players got annoyed and sent his bike chief cousin to make GL a visit to have a couple of words, but they got a bit too excited and the whole gang went. He got some packages a few weeks later from the cousin who had fashioned a few items, and there were bone pins he put up on Ebay! True! No truth They could go good with with my 'old piano player' pins and the 'big mouth drummer' pins.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Bone-Bridge-Pin-NEW-Plain-NO-DOT-Top-Shape-Tone-for-Acoustic-Guitar-/172118418760?hash=item28130ea548:g:jygAAOSwDuJW1Og1

BluesKing777.

One time, when everyone was touting the "magic" of Tonerite, and praising the results....lol....there was great back and forth between the believers, and the non-believers.....so to break the tension of the arguments, is wrote" Look, if it doesn't work, you can always give it to your girlfriend as a gift!"..... Lol...that's all I wrote, and one moderator wrote me a one page lecture on how inappropriate my statement was, and a warning, that I was on probation, and could be banned for another violation of AGF standards.....lol....Since he had several quotes from the bible in his signature, I wrote him back, telling him that all I said was to give it to your girlfriend. And reminded him to " Judge ye not lest ye be judged" and the one about the speck in one mans eye and the log in yours....his initial reaction was just over the top for what I wrote. But the thing I really disliked over there, is when someone would post about their new Gibson acoustic, and the same bashers would come out with the same lines and arguments about the Gibson sound, the quality , the fiascos of the 70's.....EVERY TIME!!.....here some guy was proudly posting about his new Gibson, and would just get torn apart.

One time, when everyone was touting the "magic" of Tonerite, and praising the results....lol....there was great back and forth between the believers, and the non-believers.....so to break the tension of the arguments, is wrote" Look, if it doesn't work, you can always give it to your girlfriend as a gift!"..... Lol...that's all I wrote, and one moderator wrote me a one page lecture on how inappropriate my statement was, and a warning, that I was on probation, and could be banned for another violation of AGF standards.....lol....Since he had several quotes from the bible in his signature, I wrote him back, telling him that all I said was to give it to your girlfriend. And reminded him to " Judge ye not lest ye be judged" and the one about the speck in one mans eye and the log in yours....his initial reaction was just over the top for what I wrote. But the thing I really disliked over there, is when someone would post about their new Gibson acoustic, and the same bashers would come out with the same lines and arguments about the Gibson sound, the quality , the fiascos of the 70's.....EVERY TIME!!.....here some guy was proudly posting about his new Gibson, and would just get torn apart.

Thats quite funny actually. Wasnt it you that also started a thread on the AGF enquiring about Cun tz Guitars, the exquisite gemrman guitar maker ... ? :rolleyes:

So basically what you're saying is the moderator has a filthy, perverted and corrupt mind. How the heck does he know that someone's girlfriend doesn't play guitar? You never implied using it for any "other" purpose, did you? For shame Mr. AGF Moderator for having such a sick and twisted mind!

No one will be laughing when he gets on the rooftop with his rifle

First, I giggled. Then I was offended. Then I cried. That was all before I read the comment though (I had a pizza binge earlier). Too true.

So basically what you're saying is the moderator has a filthy, perverted and corrupt mind. How the heck does he know that someone's girlfriend doesn't play guitar? You never implied using it for any "other" purpose, did you? For shame Mr. AGF Moderator for having such a sick and twisted mind!

I didn't even get it until I read this! I thought, jeez, that mod must have been a big tonerite advocate to overreact that much... Not that it wasn't still an overreaction. At least he got the joke, unlike me! Maybe I'll put it on the Christmas list. And hell, if she doesn't like it, I can put it on my guitars.

Archived