Gibson Brands Forums

You Bird Dogs Asleep Again?

BluesKing777

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when Gibson got away from the 1 9/16 nut ? Just a bit of history to add to the pile of the unknowingness.

The necks from this period are pretty varied as the first CNC-machines wasn't introduced before 1965 (correct if wrong).

But the general pattern is that common nut-widths were 11/16's until '65 also - for then to return to 11/16 3 years later.

This one is an outsider - look at at scale. It is supposed to be 24.75, but has the length of a Dove : 25.50.

But a highly attractive guitar. Again, as most early Birds, with a complete undisturbed wildlife motif. Beautifuuuul ^

The necks from this period are pretty varied as the first CNC-machines wasn't introduced before 1965 (correct if wrong).

While Gibson picked up new automatic neck machines in 1965 (which accounted for the narrower 1 9/16" nut) the first CNC machines were not installed until 1992. The necks, however, obtained a much slimmer profile in 1960 so the re-tooling had nothing to do with it.

My 63 has a 1 11/16's nut not sure I could handle 1 9/16's.

Did you notice it changed to 11/16 over night.

While Gibson picked up new automatic neck machines in 1965 (which accounted for the narrower 1 9/16" nut) the first CNC machines were not installed until 1992. The necks, however, obtained a much slimmer profile in 1960 so the re-tooling had nothing to do with it.

I got the 1965 from you years ago and had the feeling CNC was a step or 2 too early. Thanx -

Did you notice it changed to 11/16 over night.

I got the 1965 from you years ago and had the feeling CNC was a step or 2 too early. Thanx -

Must have been very humid and the neck has swollen.......maybe the wrong scale length will shorten by tomorrow.....Guitar Fairies at work! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Archived