Gibson Brands Forums

Dual Source Pickup recommendations for AJ?

sbpark

Looking to take plunge and ad a pickup to my 2012 AJ. Yes, it's the loudest acoustic guitar I currently and have ever known, but for the sake of open mics and eventually performing as a duo with another guitar player who sings, amplification is a necessity.

I am not a fan of magnetic sound hole pickups. I currently own an M80, and it's super convenient, easy to install, etc., but just not the sound I'm looking for. I'm also not a fan of UST's, and have tried them in the past in a J45 and hated them, even after experimenting with a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. Also the UST's aren't really practical with the AJ given it's saddle design. I know it's been done, but you have to butcher the bridge, and that's not worth it given the quickness of most UST's. I do have an LR Baggs Lyric in a Martin 000-15M that sounds very nice after figuring out how it likes to be EQ'd, but want to go to the next level so to speak with the AJ. So, with all that said I'm leaning more toward a dual source set up.

If the guitar will basically just be used for open mics and super small gigs as an acoustic duo, would you recommend a mic and UBT set up like the K&K dual source systems? My only hesitation is the permanence of the install. Sure you 'can' use the double sided tape, but even K&K says this wont sound as good. Or do I just bite the bullet and go with a dual source setup that uses both a magnetic sound hole pickup and a UBT?

I'm trying to get the most natural acoustic sound as possible, less using an external mic obviously. Thats one reason I like the Lyric. It's the most dynamic sounding and let's me play with dynamics mores than other pickups with seem to not sound natural and do not translate dynamics and sensitivity of playing very well at all.

All advice and recommendations welcome, and thank you in advance.

Trance Audio Amulet the stereo one Its in the Jackson Browne model and the SCSJ model A

IMHO the best ... It's pricey. [thumbup]

It's not a dual source. It's just an SBT. I know these sound great, but it still sounds like a SBT To my ears. needs an internal mic to blend in with it to get it to sound more natural.

Well,it's got 2 SBT one treble one bass and an external preamp I run it through a stereo DI and a good board using 2 Chanel's then with eq for each Chanel IMHO,it sounds better then any pickup out there ......thats to my ears .....everyone's different.

I figure if it's good enough for JB and Sheryl it's pretty good.

Well,it's got 2 SBT one treble one bass and an external preamp I run it through a stereo DI and a good board using 2 Chanel's then with eq for each Chanel IMHO,it sounds better then any pickup out there ......thats to my ears .....everyone's different.

I figure if it's good enough for JB and Sheryl it's pretty good.

JB also uses it with a mic quite often.

The Trance Audio is my favorite too - but I'm just an occasional open-mic type guy, and an occasional substitute player. I'm not certain what is involved in rigging up a duel source - most of them I have seen include Sunrise sound hole pickups. I am in the midst of having the Trance Mono installed in a Martin D-35, and next week will be dropping of a Martin 000-42 for the Trance Stereo install, and I wish I'd have plopped one into my '57 J-50 instead of the K&K Pure Mini.

Here's a list of users off the Trance Audio website:

Jackson Browne Sheryl Crow Neil Young

David Crosby Waddy Wachtel/Stevie Nicks Band

Beck John Frusciante Jeff Scott Young/Badi Assad Band

John Fogerty Bonnie Raitt Ben Harper

Michael Hedges Brad Whitford/Aerosmith

Tom Waits Richie Sambora/Bon Jovi Dan Crary

Henry Kaiser Danny Heines Michael Gulezian

Ronnie Montrose Greg Leisz/k.d. lang band

C. Michael Spriggs Paul Hanson/Bela Fleck Band

And a short clip of the stereo in the Jackson Browne model I used to own.

Archived