Gibson Brands Forums

New Used Bird Day

SC_Wannabe

My new used 2016 Hummingbird standard arrived from Elderly yesterday.  I must say that I'm very happy with this guitar and it's everything I hoped it would be.  I was a little worried that it may be a dud, since it was a used 2016 model.  I was wondering, why would anyone trade in a new guitar so fast?  It's anything but a dud though.  This is hands-down the best strumming guitar I've ever owned. Now I'm wondering, why would anyone trade off this guitar?  It has a nice big Gibson bottom end, but is otherwise even across the strings.  It doesn't lose anything when capo'd up the neck.  The tone is lush and complex for a mahogany b/s guitar, with near rosewood-like overtones. It doesn't have a loud voice, but the dynamics are very easy to control - what you strum is what you get.  To borrow a line from Col. Potter, there aren't enough o's in "smooooth" to describe the tone of this bird.  By comparison, it makes my J50 sound like a laminate junker.  OK, well, maybe not quite like that, but there is a very noticeable difference in the two. I'll know better when the honeymoon is over.  The condition of the guitar is literally like new.  Honestly, I've bought new guitars with more play wear.  It even smells like a new guitar.  Yup, I'm plenty pleased with this one!

Sorry no pics yet. I took some last night, but the flash pictures looked awful and the non-flash pics were grainy due to lack of light.

I have a couple of questions for other modern 'Bird owners...

1. The saddle on this one appears to be bone, while the Gibson website shows a Tusq compensated saddle like came in my J50. The saddle in mine has no b-string compensation. Does this sound like a factory saddle?

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Acoustic-Guitars/2016/Hummingbird-Standard/SSHBHCNP1_HARDWARE_FRONT.jpg

2. The bridge pins are unlike any other I've seen on a guitar. I removed them and when holding them in my hand they make a distinct clinking sound. I'm thinking maybe they are Tusq. They are flat-topped and do not look like the picture of the pins on the Gibson website (link above). Could these have been upgraded?

3. I'm having a string buzzing problem on the G and high E strings only. The buzzing sounds like it's coming from the bridge area. It occurs on the open strings and also when fretted anywhere up the neck. I tried reseating the strings and I removed the under-saddle transducer, but the buzzing is still there. Any help?

Hey SC and congrats on this new flier.

The early second hand status, might have to do with the former owner being seduced it without really having the dough. No rare phenomenon.

Very pleased to hear you so satisfied with the guitar. Standards can be splendid.

I owned a yellow one in February 2013, but sent it back - not because it wasn't good, but because the it was 1 tooth too sweet.

You can check the saddle material by sanding a bit off the corner and give it a sniff. Bone is very characteristic - simply smells like, , , , bone.

Regarding the buzz, it could be that the frets need a little here'n'there-care.

Be glad - and let's hear a H-bird - J-50 A/B one of these days. Would be interesting. Also for you.

Cheers

, , , and let's see those alien pins

I suspect the pins are these. I'll look tonight when I get home to compare. They definitely had a flat top, and I could not get my pin puller to grip them.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq/product-detail/pp-4000-00-tusq-presentation-style-bridge-pins-white-with-no-inlay?id=b267d269-f975-4e5c-84f7-32b60f2957bb

The buzzing isn't from fretting out. I get it on an open string, and also when fretted at the very last fret. Oddly, it is noticeably less when I hold the guitar upside-down (a.k.a left handed). Elderly gives a 30 day warranty, but I'd really rather not ship it back for this. If I can't solve it myself, there is a very good local guitar tech.

I have a couple of questions for other modern 'Bird owners...

1. The saddle on this one appears to be bone, while the Gibson website shows a Tusq compensated saddle like came in my J50. The saddle in mine has no b-string compensation. Does this sound like a factory saddle?

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Acoustic-Guitars/2016/Hummingbird-Standard/SSHBHCNP1_HARDWARE_FRONT.jpg

2. The bridge pins are unlike any other I've seen on a guitar. I removed them and when holding them in my hand they make a distinct clinking sound. I'm thinking maybe they are Tusq. They are flat-topped and do not look like the picture of the pins on the Gibson website (link above). Could these have been upgraded?

3. I'm having a string buzzing problem on the G and high E strings only. The buzzing sounds like it's coming from the bridge area. It occurs on the open strings and also when fretted anywhere up the neck. I tried reseating the strings and I removed the under-saddle transducer, but the buzzing is still there. Any help?

Glad you are enjoying the beast, hope for many years to come :)

For your questions :

1) it is not the original saddle. The original is Tusq indeed, compensated on B string and it is easy to find spares on internet for gibsons that you can sand down. It is easy to do yourself if you want to switch back to tusq and compensated saddle, with measurements and sanding paper, plus tusq saddle is cheap so it is not that much of a deal if you fail (even though it seems hard to fail...).

2) probably not original... Original ones on standard seem to be some kind of plastic, classic round top. My knowledge is poor here so other might be of more help, but i would be careful if willing to change them, cause the shape and diameter is very important else you could cause damage (strings ball ends, or pins not sitting right can damage bridge area).

3) If you get buzz coming from bridge area, it may come from the pickup jack. When you removed the strings you can reach it from inside and there is 2 washers, one might be making this buzz sound. Try to remove the pickup for a test. If the buzz is gone, remove one of the washers will probably work for you, there is some thread about it somewhere in these forums, in which i added a picture of it. If not, it could come from several things like strings sitting right below the pins (since they are not original, maybe something is wrong?), just in case you could ask a luthier about it maybe in your area? Shouldnt be hard to fix...

Check my reply on 1st page of this topic, with the picture : http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125829-help-me-with-my-g-string/

For humidity, you can check d'Addario 2-ways humidifyers, easy to use, safe and last long, they regulate humidity, adding some if the air is dry, or absorbing if necessary and it keeps the case at the right percentage of hum.

Hope you enjoy it, 2016 hummies are beautiful axes.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions Mafy. I'll try trading out the pins with my J50 and see if the buzzing stops, and definitely check the jack. I also have a couple of Gibson saddles in my parts box I'll try.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of OEM Gibson plastic bridge pins?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions Mafy. I'll try trading out the pins with my J50 and see if the buzzing stops, and definitely check the jack. I also have a couple of Gibson saddles in my parts box I'll try.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of OEM Gibson plastic bridge pins?

For pins make sure size is right. Some informations here at the end of the page above the pictures, about size (most likely, 2A) :

http://www.guitarpartsandmore.com/?nav=pins

Most maybe will suggest to contact Bob Colosi here : http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Or here : http://www.stewmac.com

For tusq saddle i have bought one from Thomann, it is Tusq, for gibson : https://www.thomann.de/fr/graph_tech_akustik_stegeinlage_gibson.htm

Sanded it slowly after measurements of what i needed, and it works flawless.

That's the one i'm using now, the original is saved in the case but i do not use it anymore (luthier had sanded it too much for my taste...).

Kudos on your new membership in the Hummingbird Strummers Club..........you can forward your annual dues to me! [biggrin]

How about the break angle over the saddle on these two cranky strings? One the rattles everywhere could have a shallow angle here.........

SC_wannabe,

I'll be glad to give you Buc's mailing address for the

due's.

Problem solved! It was indeed a loose endpin jack. I swapped the Tusq saddle and plastic pins over from my J50, so now the bird is back to Montana stock.

Thanks to Sal and Mafy for pointing me towards the endpin jack. [thumbup]

And thanks for the HB Club offers, but all my spare cash went into this bird. I'll catch you for dues next month.

Problem solved! It was indeed a loose endpin jack. I swapped the Tusq saddle and plastic pins over from my J50, so now the bird is back to Montana stock.

Thanks to Sal and Mafy for pointing me towards the endpin jack. [thumbup]

And thanks for the HB Club offers, but all my spare cash went into this bird. I'll catch you for dues next month.

Thats fine, but atleast post your new bird in the official hummingbird owners thread on page 2😉

Great to hear...

Enjoy it! But don't sell the J50. You will want it back. I know this.

Put Martin Retro Lights on your J50, which will sound brash and thin at first... and after a week your guitar will sound like a vintage J45.

Not to worry, Sal - I won't be selling the J50! I had some JP pure nickel lights on it before the last string change that sounded pretty vintag-y. I'll have to try the monel lights.

Here are some pics I took yesterday, but I'm still waiting for a sunny day to take some better ones. The first is with a flash and makes the burst look a lot more red than it actually is. The second is w/o flash but still looks a bit more red than it is. The third is showing the saddle and pins that came with it, and the burst in this pic is the most accurate to what it really looks like.

bird-1_zpsaljftq1p.jpg

bird-2_zpsbtycwruu.jpg

bird-3_zpsle44ugyk.jpg

Beauty ! [love]

This burst is beautiful, it is indeed slightly more red and darker than the usual herritage cherry burst.

You got yourself a very nice axe ! Knowing the quality of these 2016 models, i'm sure you will be in love with her, Enjoy.

What is your stand by the way ? You already know that probably but don't let it on the stand without cloth protection if it is not made for nitro.

Archived