Gibson Brands Forums

SG61 vs. standard

Kasper

I own both a 61 from the 90s and a standard from 2004 , so while I can't comment on the spec of new models, generally speaking there is a different quality of wood used, different neck profile and different pickup's also slightly different shape.

Which is best? ....hard to say as it's subjective so as always best to try before buying. I like both but both are quite different.

To my guess Charlie Brown, the Bevel Police Officer of The Board, would say that the SG 61 shape is the very one for SGs. Two of my SGs have different body and neck contours, two have the 61 shape, and the differences are truly significant.

The 61 and 2017 Standard mainly differ at neck joint, bevels of cutaways, body back and sides, hardware (ABR-1 vs. Nashville), and platings (nickel vs. chrome). However, the differences between 61 and 2016 Standard were more obvious because of the "Batwing" pickguard of the latter (which I don't like).

When about the 2016 SG 61 Limited Run guitars, I'd say to those who like their style: Get them while you can!

Thanks for the replies. Are the changes for the 2017 then a result of improving the design (like less neck heavy) or maybe to cut cost (maybe it's easier to manufacture that particular shape)?

Depending on densities of body and neck wood it may affect neck-heaviness, too, but the main reason is cutting costs I think. Looking at the 2016 models reveals that the T line has the "modern" shape while the HP line comes with deep body bevels but a wider neck, a new "easy access" neck/body transition and motorized tuning.

To my guess Charlie Browne, the Bevel Police Officer of The Board, would say that the SG 61 shape is the very one for SGs. Two of my SGs have different body and neck contours, two have the 61 shape, and the differences are truly significant.

The 61 and 2017 Standard mainly differ at neck joint, bevels of cutaways, body back and sides, hardware (ABR-1 vs. Nashville), and platings (nickel vs. chrome). However, the differences between 61 and 2016 Standard were more obvious because of the "Batwing" pickguard of the latter (which I don't like).

When about the 2016 SG 61 Limited Run guitars, I'd say to those who like their style: Get them while you can!

"Bevel Police Officer"...I like that! LOL The very first SG "Les Paul's" had wider, body beveling, deeper beveling in the horn area,

and beloved horn tapering, as well. They, and reissues that have those same spec's are (to me) the quintessential SG! We all have

our preferences, but mine are rooted in the '61 design spec's!

Cheers,

CB

"Bevel Police Officer"...I like that! LOL The very first SG "Les Paul's" had wider, body beveling, deeper beveling in the horn area,

and beloved horn tapering, as well. They, and reissues that have those same spec's are (to me) the quintessential SG! We all have

our preferences, but mine are rooted in the '61 design spec's!

Cheers,

CB

Sorry for spelling your nickname's last name wrong... #-o I should have known better, but I didn't become aware of my fault until reading your post [crying]

I beg your pardon. [blush]

Charlie Brown, I have a quick question. How do you like the body shape etc on the SG Custom with three pickups? Are they to '61 spec?

Well, I can't speak to the current Custom Shop version, but they have varied a bit, in the past.

My "Captain Kirk" SG Custom, however, IS early/mid '60's specs, in that it has the same horn

tapering, deeper and wider beveling, and the slope, toward the neck on the back, with only the

larger (upper) horn having any back beveling.

DSC_93371_zps43f651c8.jpg

Notice, too, how the horns taper instead of being as wide=thick, as the body. The newer SG Standards (T) don't have the horn tapering or the deeper/wider beveling between the horn tip and neck. The HP version have retained the wider/deeper bevels, and the horn tapering. Why they make 2 different body spec's, I don't know, unless some prefer the shallower/narrower beveling, and no horn tapering. [razz] (Sorry, own "prejudice" is showing! [biggrin])

DSC_93431_zps963e0ebb.jpg

The 1968 SG Custom, that I owned, back then,

had essentially the same body bevels and tapers, but just slightly less pronounced.

So, I hope that helps? :unsure:

CB

Notice, too, how the horns taper instead of being as wide=thick, as the body. The newer SG Standards (T) don't have the horn tapering or the deeper/wider beveling between the horn tip and neck. The HP version have retained the wider/deeper bevels, and the horn tapering. Why they make 2 different body spec's, I don't know, unless some prefer the shallower/narrower beveling, and no horn tapering. [razz] (Sorry, own "prejudice" is showing! [biggrin])

The 1968 SG Custom, that I owned, back then,

had essentially the same body bevels and tapers, but just slightly less pronounced.

So, I hope that helps? :unsure:

CB

I can see a difference in the top and bottom SG (2nd pic) but still not sure which one is your preference.

FWIW, I like the look of the upper one best.

I have seen some differences in the prominence of the upper horn in some SGs. I had always thought that the horns were mirror images about the centreline, but some are certainly different with more upper horn protrusion.

Yeah, they all vary slightly. My dealer had several of each model, so I got to "cherry pick" the

ones I liked the best! [thumbup][biggrin] The "Original" (SG on the bottom of the photo) had

a great grain pattern, one I (usually) only see on CS models. And a very dark rosewood finger board,

as well. The upper one, is a '61 "Satin" reissue, with "baked Maple" fingerboard. So, it's just a

bit "brighter" sounding. Can't say which I like the best, as I Love them all, for their differences,

as well as their similarities. 2013 was My year, for buying SG's! 4, in one year. The Les Paul

tribute model ('61 with sideways vibrola) hadn't been purchased, when that photo was taken.

It appears, below:

DSC_95401_zps10a2006f.jpg

Cheers,

CB

Try not to get hung up on beveling. Some of the slickest and best playing SG's I've encountered were of the broader horned, low taper/bevel variety.That's just aesthetics which does not influence how great a guitar really is in the slightest.

Sorry, too late! I grew up on/with early to mid '60's SG's, so my prejudice is well ensconced! [biggrin]

But it is ONLY MY prejudice. I leave other's preferences to themselves. I've never said other

spec'd SG's are "bad" guitars. Just that "I" have always preferred the ones mentioned, and owned.

Your tastes may differ, and that's fine! [thumbup]

CB

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know if a 2012 SG 61 RI in Alpine White is nitro or poly? I think all of the 61 RIs are supposed to be VOS including the nitro finish.

Except for metallic finishes like Gold Top, all the Gibson instruments came and still come with a cellulosedinitrate aka "nitrocellulose" finish.

ALL Gibson guitars are nitro finish.

As far as some metallic finishes are concerned, this is valid only for the top coats. Two of my pals have satin Gold Top Les Paul guitars, and their top surfaces are not nitro. A bandmate of mine has a 1980 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top, and they obviously had changed hands already then. The top coat is doubtlessly nitro, but not the solid-coloured golden top finish. I think they are acrylic.

I believe the Silverburst layer on a 2011 L6S of mine is acrylic, too.

Archived