Gibson Brands Forums

Buddy Miller

Buc McMaster

If you haven't, check out an older album from Buddy & Julie Miller, Cruel Moon. Great stuff! This is a tune I did with the last band, some eight years ago now. Something reminded me of it this morning so I banged it out a couple times and turned on the camera. There I go again, rushing things............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5AarwZ2Y0

Tweaking on the truss rod this morning too. Me thinks I hear a little rattle in there.........lefty loosey!

Rush my arse. That was fantastic. This is so up my alley, and so I thank you for turning me on to some new music ( for me).

I had a discussion with my son, talking about songs for my upcoming gigs. He was suggesting quite a few that are rather intricate. I explained, "son... simple connects if you sing and play it right. No one is going to remember the leads... they are going to remember that they sang along, or got their foot tapping."

Anyways, great stuff.

Thanks fellas! And yes, Sal, simple is often best. This one would be a good one for your set list.......bet you can learn it easily before the gig, Sal. And Keith, thanks for the comment! Being solid is as much song selection as anything else. I try to pick tunes that work within my style vocally and that I can handle with my minimal guitar skills. The guitar lick in this one seems a little naked to my ear, having done it years ago with a band and all it's parts. But hey........it's simple, huh!

Thanks for listening! [cool]

Amazing ....a song from Buc that I actually recognised. Thats a great simple tune with an attractive melody and it sits in your range your well Buckaroo..

Its interesting also how dark the Hummingbird looks in that light, one of the marvels of that guitar is how the burst changes over the day depending on lighting. Here it almost looks like ebony,

btw: apparently my AJ was once owned by Buddy Miller, so I was told upon purchase.

Buc, what do you record with again?

Sal: I use a Blue Yeti desktop USB stereo mic plugged into my Mac laptop, recorded with the iMovie software. It's an older model and I think it's a Yeti Pro now.........or something like that.......have no idea what the difference may be. I always try to setup within three feet of the mic to get good presence in the recorded sound. Too far away and it starts sounding hollow.

MARK: Buddy could well have owned your AJ.......he does seem to be a Gibson guy. He plays electric guitar a lot and is prone to use old, weird instruments like Silvertones, Kays and the like.

BM_small_zpssgnfjpgp.jpg

Thanks for the kind words all! I think there's one more Miller tune I'd like to do.................

Archived