Gibson Brands Forums

Label color?

dhanners623

Since the move to Montana, I think all labels were orange until a few years back.......maybe 2009 or 2010 (somebody help me out here!).......at which time they went to white labels in everything standard. The orange label was and is still used in vintage reissue models (TV, Vintage, etc.) and pretty much anything else that's custom or a limited run. I think that's right......others may know better.

Being bored, I went to Sweetwater's website and of the 44 Gibson acoustics they have in stock, here are the ones with orange labels:

HP 415 W

HP 415 CEX

HP 835

HP 665 SB

HP 635 W

HP 735 R

SJ-200 Trans Cherry

SJ-200 Bob Dylan

SJ-200 Special

SJ-200 Vintage

SJ-200 Special Trans Burst

J-185 LE

J-50 1947

AJ Jumbo Flame Deluxe

AJ Red Spruce Sunset Burst

Iron Mountain AJ

L-1 1928

Hummingbird Vintage Cherry Sunburst

Hummingbird Custom Special

J-45 Antiquity

J-45 Flamed Maple

J-45 Big Leaf Maple

J-45 Vintage

J-45 English Walnut

Wow. You looked through all those just to see the label color?! Nothing to do these days, DH?

So they are using orange on the new HP series as well, huh. All the others are customs, limiteds and vintage models. Orange is a traditional able color for Gibson acoustics........ I seem to recall that a thread was started here about the change to white for standard models.

Being bored, I went to Sweetwater's website and of the 44 Gibson acoustics they have in stock, here are the ones with orange labels:

HP 415 W

HP 415 CEX

HP 835

HP 665 SB

HP 635 W

HP 735 R

SJ-200 Trans Cherry

SJ-200 Bob Dylan

SJ-200 Special

SJ-200 Vintage

SJ-200 Special Trans Burst

J-185 LE

J-50 1947

AJ Jumbo Flame Deluxe

AJ Red Spruce Sunset Burst

Iron Mountain AJ

L-1 1928

Hummingbird Vintage Cherry Sunburst

Hummingbird Custom Special

J-45 Antiquity

J-45 Flamed Maple

J-45 Big Leaf Maple

J-45 Vintage

J-45 English Walnut

Hereby add the Firebird Custom to that list

That's why I liked the pic so much - still doing some things "the old fashioned way". . B)

They used the old typewriter 'cuz it had small type and it would fit the small lines. There was a big panic when the thing broke down. They found a guy to fix it. While waiting for the repair they just wrote them by hand. At one point they had a guy that didn't type so well so he just wrote them out in ballpoint. These will be noticed and someone will think they are very special and worth a lot more money. They do ,of course, sound much better than the typed version and as everyone knows the orange labels sound much better than the white. Can you imagine a hand written orange label. That thing would be a monster. I know. Let's start a club.

They really don't care what color they use. If a guy is new he doesn't run around the plant looking for someone he just grabs what's there. They try to standardize these little details but are never very good at it.

They really don't care what color they use. If a guy is new he doesn't run around the plant looking for someone he just grabs what's there. They try to standardize these little details but are never very good at it.

Still you hardly ever see any examples of sloppiness regarding the system they try to maintain.

Orange paper stays in orange boxes and white in whites. . .

Archived