Gibson Brands Forums

Playing an outdoor gig today

sparquelito

Today is a big day.

We are playing a large outdoor sports fest on the river, and will be on stage pretty much from 09:00 am until 2:00 pm.

There's another band that will rotate sets with us, but their rhythm guitar player is out, so I'm going to fill in on a few of their songs, to help out.

We're kind of like the walking wounded;

My back is killing me, and I'm just getting over a bout with the shingles.

Our drummer Bob is stuck in Yuma this week, and so my brother is behind the drum kit today. (And he is just getting over a bad cold, and so can't contribute to vocals.)

Luckily, our girl singer and our bass player are healthy and in good voice, so it should be a lot of fun.

The current temp outside is 49 degrees F, and it's supposed to be sunny today with a high of 75.

I went down with a large festival crew yesterday and set up the stage, so 90% of the gear is all set and sound-checked.

Just have to add one or two components this morning (the last of the speaker cabs, the bass rig, and a wireless ancillary PA to project the sound further down closer to the softball fields), and we'll be all squared away.

Fingers crossed for a rocking fun day.

I plan to do some recording using the portable Zoom H2n, so I hope to have some sound clips for you later on this evening or tomorrow.

:)

shingles is nasty. Hope you are recovered enough.

5 hours! I have never played for that long. Hope the weather stays kind for you anyway.

Enjoy, & let us know how it went.

yep, a buddy of mine is just recovering from his 1st outbreak from shingles. bad stuff.

cold fingers dont work with guitars.

A hand basin nearby with regular changes of hot water is what ya want.

We do that when playing rugby if the weathers cold enough. The issue then is that your fingers can develop a burning sensation which isn't ideal. Fingerless gloves might be a solution

Wow, it was a great day.

A LOOOONG day of hard work, but a boat-load of fun and live music.

Everybody played great, hung in there, and sounded fantastic.

I stay too busy working the stage and setting things up for success between sets with both our bands (to take the time to set the Zoom recorder), but I will have some photos later from one or two friends I reckon.

Will post those over the next few days, as I hunt them down.

One photo from before the gig started (and before we had the bass rig installed and our other band's lead guitar player's pedal board in), and a good lesson learned;

Notice that I purchased a few sets of multi-colored mic cables from Amazon last month.

MAN are they handy for keeping track of who is who, and for making volume and eq adjustments mid-gig!

I highly recommend them for any working band.

Anyway;

I finished putting all the gear away an hour ago, and then sunk into a hot bath tub with epsom salts.

A cold beer is in my hand, and many more are on the way.

Ahhhh.

200932.jpg

Ha!

Here's one from our first set, before the other band had showed up, and before we had their lead guitar player's pedal board and amp set up.

(He would fall in on the mic stand with the yellow cables, etc.)

Their girl singer and their bass player just fell in on our mic stands and bass rig, and brought their own mic's and bass guitar.

That band's drummer is a good friend, and he just used our Roland digital kit since it is nearly identical to his own.

We played a solid set by the time our friends arrive with their mics and stuff, and then alternated all day.

My band played five sets, and finished right around two-thirty pm.

The crowd almost never went without live music, all day.

(very little canned/pre-recorded music piped in over the PA, in between events).

Good times.

202818.jpg

1475284200[/url]' post='1803198']

It's funny;

When you are rocking, and the crowd is enjoying the day (and the beautiful weather), and you trade happy glances with your band-mates, all the aches and pains seem to go away!!

Well that's a dose of what I need as I'm feeling terrible today. Started last night but I don't play in a band. Maybe I need to start one Sparky. I play rythem pretty good, my daughter in laws dad is good on the drums, and my oldest sister is good on the piano, she was a music teacher. My son plays Sax. We just need a singer, lead guitarist, bass and a key boarders. Lolmsp_flapper.gif we can call ourselves the "Old Farts Band" now if we can just all move together in just One State. (Just kidding, never happen)

Well that's a dose of what I need as I'm feeling terrible today. Started last night but I don't play in a band. Maybe I need to start one Sparky. I play rythem pretty good, my daughter in laws dad is good on the drums, and my oldest sister is good on the piano, she was a music teacher. My son plays Sax. We just need a singer, lead guitarist, bass and a key boarders. Lolmsp_flapper.gif we can call ourselves the "Old Farts Band" now if we can just all move together in just One State. (Just kidding, never happen)

You never know.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Sometimes when the talent is there, the associations are there, the connections are right, and the moon and the stars are all reeling about,

it all just finally falls magically into place.

I have played music all my life, and dallied about with it for most of my life.

But I was over 50 years old before this band came together.

And now we have more fun (and play more gigs) than most young bands will ever stumble into.

Patience and perseverance, I guess that's what I am saying...

Another photo floated in from the fellows at work.

Hoping for more tomorrow, and really hoping for some videos with audio.

There was apparently some cat running around taking video of everything.

I aim to run him down and see what he captured.

That's my Ibanez Jet King JTK40 there.

Great guitar.

I didn't want to bring the Les Paul or the Tele down to the river because of the expected temperature variations, so I brought the Jet King and my Austin Strat copy.

Two red guitars, and both performed brilliantly.

132800.jpg

Archived