Gibson Brands Forums

Shipping

Cougar

Shipping guitars is freaking expensive! I've been working with UPS lately, and it's easily up around $80-$100. Adding insurance for a modestly pricy guitar is going to add on top of that ($2 per $100 value, 1st $100 is free). UPS is pretty convenient, but is FedEx or USPS all that much less expensive?

Something I just found out though. I asked UPS what they would charge for doing the packing - if I brought in the guitar box and the guitar in a hardshell case. I think stuffing in a bunch of wadded up newspapers or filling the box with packing peanuts so the case/guitar is well padded in the box and doesn't move around, then taping it all up, is the hardest part. The guy said that's only 5 bucks! I will gladly pay $5 for that.

I'm thinking I got more shipping to do in my future. Any tips appreciated!

genie.gif

I'm thinking I got more shipping to do in my future. Any tips appreciated!

genie.gif

Never shipped a guitar, so for what it's worth (or so I've read):

1) Loosen the tension on the strings (a step or two should be sufficient)

2) Really pack the neck/headstock area, since this is where the most damage MAY occur

3) I've bought a half dozen or so guitars on line, and between GC, MF and Sweetwater, SW does the best job of repackaging and shipping IMHO. Lot's of extra padding, etc.

Do yourself a favor and watch this (sorry, the smart a$$ in me couldn't resist):

... 2) Really pack the neck/headstock area, since this is where the most damage MAY occur

+1

Agree. I've done plenty of shipping and receiving. You can use all the packing you want in the box to stabilize case movement, but it's all for naught if the headstock can move around inside the case.

Yeah I don't know how some sellers do it. I see some with $30 to $60 for shipping. I can't ship for under $100 now days and that's with any major carrier.

I've used UPS 90% of the time and never had an issue but I understand everyone's experience is different.

high volume shipping contracts

A trick with UPS and FedEx is to ship from a commercial address to another commercial address (ie. ship from your work address to the buyer's work address). Its much cheaper that way, I assume because they're not going out of their way to a residential address for a single pickup/delivery.

Here's what I do: I got myself a Fedex account and I insure my guitars with Heritage. With my Fedex account I can ship a dread sized guitar (that I packed myself) anywhere in the states for about $40.00 via Ground. I do not use the shippers insurance. I notify Heritage that I'm shipping and where it's going and it's covered on my policy. No extra fees for up to $2500.00 (or more) in insured value. I shipped a $5K Martin and paid 28.00 for the coverage. I do this with guitars I have coming in on approval as well. I add them to my policy incoming and outgoing (if sending back) and then remove them when they arrive safely. My Heritage policy runs me about $250.00 per year on around $30K worth of guitars. It's worth it as I'm in hurricane country but the shipping coverage is a real deal when you compare the cost of using the shippers "insurance".

Double box it like the online dealers do.

Yeah, I would have, but both shipments were jumbo acoustics, inside their hardshell cases. I was lucky to have two boxes big enough - one for each!

But it was two out, one in for me -- I'm majorly jazzed with this mint condition 2011 New Hartford-built Guild sunburst F50R all solid AAA spruce over Indian rosewood, ebony fretboard, abalone rosette, etc., etc. Not really a factor in the purchase, but this thing has freaking emeralds inlaid on the bridge pins and tuners! I know - over the top, but I'm not complaining.

f50r560.jpg

f50r562.jpg

God I wish I could ship a guitar that cheap! Here's a quote I got from UPS to ship a guitar from Anchorage, to Chandlar Az.

Delivered By:

8:00 A.M. Monday

October 17, 2016

Guaranteed 368.79 USD *

Billable Weight:

66.0 lbs.

UPS Next Day Air®

Latest Pickup Time:

2:00 P.M. Saturday

October 15, 2016

Schedule by :

1:00 P.M. Days In Transit: 1

Delivered By:

10:30 A.M. Monday

October 17, 2016

Guaranteed 337.59 USD *

Billable Weight:

66.0 lbs.

UPS Next Day Air Saver®

Latest Pickup Time:

October 15, 2016

Schedule by :

1:00 P.M. Days In Transit: 1

Delivered By:

By End of Day Monday

October 17, 2016

Guaranteed 317.67 USD *

Billable Weight:

66.0 lbs.

UPS 2nd Day Air®

Latest Pickup Time:

October 15, 2016

Schedule by :

1:00 P.M. Days In Transit: 2

Delivered By:

By End of Day Tuesday

October 18, 2016

Guaranteed 217.88 USD *

Billable Weight:

66.0 lbs.

It didn't use to be like this but all shipping to and from Alaska has gotten ridiculous!

The guy I sold that guitar to said he could get it shipped cheaper from Germany to Arizona than what UPS wanted to ship from Alaska!

I shipped it FedEx ground. Less than half of UPS quote.

Archived