Gibson Brands Forums

An incredible display of willpower

Lars68

I was casually surfing the biggest internet sales site for private adds here in Sweden, when I stumbled upon a 2014 Hummingbird in ebony for sale. I have quite a few guitars, but no Bird, and happen to like black guitars. However, I really, really, really, REALLY don't need another guitar. I don't have enough free time to play the superb ones I already have. The price is "unfortunately" excellent for Sweden, exactly two thirds of the price of a new one. To make matters even "worse", it is for sale approximately five minutes away from the chair where I sit typing this... [biggrin]

I need your help to muster every ounce of resistence in me. I'm still strong. Yes, I am strong!

Lars

You could always get the cheap Ebony Hummingbird copy like did!

Sounds terrible though.

(Though not to be deterred, I had my guitar tech set it up properly and put the Tulip tuners on it and the old broken winged DeArmond pickup installed).

It was going to be my beater to take here and there but it ain't going nowhere! Except maybe a surprise set at the blues club culminating in a Jimi or Pete style smash or burn!!!!! That would make the old geezers look.

Or just swing by to take a look at the real one... :rolleyes:

BluesKing777.

1. Guitars are like women. You can't have too many.

[scared]

2. There's always room for one more.

As far as women are concerned, it basically applies to me since my divorcement, but not to my dwell. Too many guitars here, and I won't part with any of them. B)

Well, you guys aren't helping much [biggrin]

Disregarding your corrupt influence, I have decided to stay strong. Temptation is the work of the dark side.

Lars

Side note: the one in charge suggested that a weekend trip to London with our two boys could be had for the same amount of money. If she only knew about the amount of guitar shops over there...and the exchange rate... [biggrin]

London Calling!

She will wonder why you agreed to a trip so quickly, so play hard to get a bit and be grumpy.

Another wrinkle in the black Hummingbird project - I don't think they make them anymore and haven't for quite some time. So unless they bring out the newer Vintage birds in black, it is over and the last one is....gulp.........5 minutes away..... [biggrin][rolleyes]

BluesKing777.

London Calling!

She will wonder why you agreed to a trip so quickly, so play hard to get a bit and be grumpy.

Another wrinkle in the black Hummingbird project - I don't think they make them anymore and haven't for quite some time. So unless they bring out the newer Vintage birds in black, it is over and the last one is....gulp.........5 minutes away..... [biggrin][rolleyes]

BluesKing777.

They do make them in black. Limited run just now. Check.

Lars

Aaaaahhhhh .... but you can' get a good one at the fantastic price of the one the Fates delivered at your doorstep.

The forum signature of mine may apply here:

"The Fates lead the willing and drag those who are unwilling."

Side note: the one in charge suggested that a weekend trip to London with our two boys could be had for the same amount of money.

For heaven's sake, man, get your priorities straight:

London is only for a weekend but a Hummingbird is forever.

Plus, you can use the 'Bird to advantage for years by telling the boys that whichever one treats you best in your dotage will inherit the rare black Hummingbird.

Truer words were never spoken....

Still holding strong! [biggrin]

Lars

What about just hanging around where she is and take some pictures for the forum?

Just for us... You could as well of course get there with some cash (just in case you need a sandwich on the way back or something...).

bravespetits.png

Out of the blue, my wonderful wife just said to me, "Since, I know how much music and guitars mean to you...".

If she, bless her heart, encourages me, how on earth could I possibly hold firm? Checking out the guitar tomorrow. Oh, I'm soo weak [biggrin]

Anything in particular I should look out for with a 2014 Hummingbird (I assume it's a Standard, even though it's a special run)?

Not the guitar in question, but what I expect to see tomorrow:

https://acoustic-room.com/guitars/archive/2014-gibson-hummingbird-ebony-acoustic-guitar/

I kind of like the all black approach, how about you? It's different from my other burst guitars, which is a plus. Perhaps not my first choice, if it was to be my one and only guitar, but still cool.

Lars

By the way, London is still on!

Archived