Gibson Brands Forums

Don't use a pick, rarely strum, so why do I really fancy a bird?

Mickthemiller

Because you are a normal and sense-making acoustic nerd.

Exactly the 'routine' you describe - which calls you with fire - is highly or should we say deeply satisfying.

As stated before : The Hummingbird-affair is a psychological phenomenon

I also have a shoulder that lets me know, painfully, that it does not take kindly to anything bigger than a 000. So why do I really want to hold a hummingbird in my hands and really strum hard and hear that beautiful tone.

Sounds like you have an itch to scratch like I did........scratch it. I look forward to your new Hummingbird post [lol]

I'll tell you, Mick, Hummingbirds are really special. There are lots of great guitars (especially Gibsons)......and then, there's The Hummingbird. It's literally "the" guitar. It tends to "stand alone." In a forest of tall pines, a mighty oak.....Now, keep in mind that this is an elite association. We don't let just anybody in. However, your willingness to suffer through potential pain in-order to play "the bird" makes you a "natural." We look forward to you're joining us. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Seriously, Hummingbirds are sweet guitars. I've got several really super guitars, but "the bird" is "the bird." All the others, as awesome as they are, are pretenders to the throne.

You probably have been reading too many threads here!

Someone has to speak for the other team....

I play only fingerpicking.

Recently in the Bird Fever going around this forum, I played 3 different units:

A new Standard at a big shop that was flat as a tack and straight back in the rack.

Another new Standard at a small shop that was a great guitar with a warm sound, but no projection for my fingerpicking.

A used TV that I drove miles to try and was just 'tinny' and no payoff for effort with my fingerpicking and plain disappointing because I just secretly may have gone there to buy it. [biggrin]

No, they are singer songwriter strummers and a fingerpicker would be better off looking at a small Gibson or a J45.

There you go, i said it. [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a particular guitar is only meant for a certain style of music or to be played a certain way. That's rubbish. Sure, certain guitars seem to favor certain styles, kinds of music, etc., but there are no hard, fast rules about any of it. People say that my HD-28 isn't a singer/songwriter guitar and should be strung with 13's. I string it with 12's and use it as a singer/songwriter guitar. Didn't seem to bother Neil Young. My Gibson AJ is a bluegrass guitar, but I finger pick it. Point is, play what you want for your own reasons and enjoy!

Mine goes the opposite direction.Lately I only play picking and fingerstyle but I keep buying Dreadnoughts because the deal was too good to passed on.The only true fingerstyle guitar that I have is the L-1 Robert Johnson and I currently own more than 20 acoustic guitars.

Archived