Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing "Bloody Mary"

zombywoof

It has been many years since I have bought an Epiphone. But the drought came to an end a couple of months back when I snagged a 1953 Triumph Regent. A harder to find blonde one. I have tried out more archtops than I can recall over the decades and could never make peace with one. Until this one came along. I really only bought it because it was dirt cheap. I had no idea what it sounded like because it had been cannibalized of all its parts due to the condition it was in with the thought being the parts were worth more and would be easier to sell off the guitar than on. I originally bought the thing intending to replace what was missing with aftermarket stuff. But in the end I decided to spring for the original tailpiece, bridge, and tuners. I even grabbed the original Lifton case. I figured if worse came to worse I could sell all the parts and go back to my original plan.

It took me a couple of weeks of working on it to get the guitar back into prime playing condition. In addition to other issues, this archtop is a great example of what happens when you leave a guitar with a celluloid pickguard locked up in its case for year after year. The off gassing literally melted the scratchplate causing it to run down the front of the guitar. Hence the name Bloody Mary which was bestowed upon it by a friend who noted the streaking looked all the world like dried blood.

Anway, after trying out various strings I finally settled on those new D'Addario nickel bronze strings. Just what the doctor ordered.

1953%20Epiphone%20Triumph%20Regent_zpsy9jni03s.jpg

Archived