Gibson Brands Forums

Don't see too many new posts about J-200's these days??

onewilyfool

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got an '89 and an '00. They sit in their cases. Beautiful guitars, top notch in every way. But a guitar either makes me want to play it or it does not. The '64 SJ clearly does not have the volume or tonal range as the J200s but it's what I grab when I want to play guitar. That's what it's all about.

I would love to add one to the collection, however it would have to be a used one at a reasonable price. A new 2016 J200 Standard here in Ontario Canada is around $5700 CN with taxes. I just cannot justify that.

I think there are fewer J200s around, and that by itself means there are fewer comments. I find mine just as comfortable to hold and play as my two short-neck dreads and the sound is unique. Sort of like a Grand Piano, it holds a position as the 'required' guitar for some songs. Different strokes for different folks - they'll never take over the specialized role of small bodied blues guitars for example. But, this is like asking if banjoes are falling out of favor. You either like them or you don't.

Funny enough I had the same thought the other day.

Sometimes I tend to 'forget' what they sound like and visit the Tube to be reminded.

Among others this one was found -

1953 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-V6CvcIYb0

Respect the big Jumbo a lot and was crazy about them as a young man (got an Ibanez yellow/black burst copy when still living at home).

Though duluthd's ex had me tempted a few years ago, nothing further has happened.

Apart from meeting the new Dylan version last year - excellent.

And this one, which tried to make me take it home last winter, , , mums for an elephant -

http://www.gibson.co...Prewar-200.aspx

Like their voice and nature a good deal - but it is as if I don't need it these days.

Intersting ... that one I thought was actually rather flat sounding, maybe the strings were dead but didnt really grab me like the best J-200' can.

Now this one .... blows my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_UPptb921A

Love my J-150 btw, ordered new pickguard for it, should be vintage 50's J-200 style, will post when ready.

Funny enough I had the same thought the other day.

Sometimes I tend to 'forget' what they sound like and visit the Tube to be reminded.

Among others this one was found -

1953 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-V6CvcIYb0

Respect the big Jumbo a lot and was crazy about them as a young man (got an Ibanez yellow/black burst copy when still living at home).

Though duluthd's ex had me tempted a few years ago, nothing further has happened.

Apart from meeting the new Dylan version last year - excellent.

And this one, which tried to make me take it home last winter, , , mums for an elephant -

http://www.gibson.co...Prewar-200.aspx

Like their voice and nature a good deal - but it is as if I don't need it these days.

My J100 is a super sweet guitar. Fits in well with all my other Gibsons. None of us are alike. We all like different things. You like what you like and I like what I like. The fact that we all like guitars is all we need...........Personally, I feel they're pricing the new/newer J200s out of the range many are willing to pay. They cost more now than I can justify for a guitar. Others feel differently, and that's fine. [thumbup]

Always loved the sj200. But for a long time it was also the only gibson acoustic that I could imagine to buy, all the other models didnt attracted me at all.....

I was really a taylor guy back then(4 years ago), but when I bought a sj200 I discovered more and more the gibson-tone.

It didnt took long and I sold my 2 taylors and bought my j45....

I m really happy that the sj200 opened the gibson-door for me, the gibson-tone is something very special and I feel like I arrived "at home" with this sound.

Of course nowadays there are a lot gibson acoustics that will keep me GASing in the future.... 😉

Cheers

Ilja.

Intersting ... that one I thought was actually rather flat sounding, maybe the strings were dead but didnt really grab me like the best J-200' can.

Now this one .... blows my mind.

Love my J-150 btw, ordered new pickguard for it, should be vintage 50's J-200 style, will post when ready.

I remembered your 64'er the other day, but couldn't find it - so thx for posting. I like it.

But listen in the cans. The 2 guitars - though 11 years between them - sound basically the same.

The 64-recording has more reverb and thus gets slightly mushy and blurred here. The 53'er is actually rather well recorded as stands defined and clearer.

Its virtues come across from 1:15 to 1:27 before he starts strumming away.

But a fine pair of relatives indeed.

Look forward to see you new guard - how about neck-bindings cool.gif

It's no surprise to me that we're not seeing too many new posts about J-200's these days.

I go along with MissouriPicker - the J-200 pricing is now limiting it's market.

Couple that with the mounting popularity the slopes thanks to Gibson doing nice jobs with the J15, J35 and J29, and hitting the pricing sweet spot with the J15 and J35.

I sold my J-100 Xtra bubinga this spring. I bought it new, kept it for 11 years and played it at least once a week. Despite how well it played (especially after a full refret and setup over Christmas at the 12th Fret) and how great it sounded I had to face the fact that the super jumbo shape just does not fit my frame. Too darn big for me to sit with comfortably. Tried chairs, couches, stools, straps. Nothing worked. So off it went to the classifieds. I sold it in 9 hours for my asking price. Funny thing is the guy who bought it was trying the next day to flip it for $400 more than he paid! Even used my pictures. I don't know if he was successful or not. Pretty funny. I did replace the J-100 with a L-1 I got a screaming deal on.

So no more super jumbo posts from me!

Always loved the sj200. But for a long time it was also the only gibson acoustic that I could imagine to buy, all the other models didnt attracted me at all.....

I was really a taylor guy back then(4 years ago), but when I bought a sj200 I discovered more and more the gibson-tone.

It didnt took long and I sold my 2 taylors and bought my j45....

I m really happy that the sj200 opened the gibson-door for me, the gibson-tone is something very special and I feel like I arrived "at home" with this sound.

Of course nowadays there are a lot gibson acoustics that will keep me GASing in the future.... 😉

Cheers

Ilja.

As a taylor guy for some years, I think I could easily have wrote this... I still have my Taylor GS (2005, first year they made those). It really is a great guitar, the neck profile works pretty good for my small with alternate tuning solo work.

My 2000 314CE went to a good home almost right after I got my SJ200. (my brother in law bought it, really likes it.)

Used to have three Gibson super jumbos, now down to one - an '00 maple J-100xtra purchased new. The specs of the 'xtra' changed greatly over the years, but in 2000, this model carried a fully visible abalone rosette, MOP headstock logo & crown, plain tortoise pickguard, fingerboard dots, and plain mustache bridge. I love the abalone rosette offsetting the understated appointments, and the tone is my favorite out of the numerous SJs I've played.

So I'm a happy camper in the SJ category, and even happier when looking at a recent MF catalog, where the standard J-200 is now going for $4149.00 .....Ouch!

Look forward to see you new guard - how about neck-bindings cool.gif

Getting this one, it was posted sometime ago, they make them old school style in Greece, 6 weeks waiting period as such a demand !

Binding .. no, actually believe it or not i like it more without the binding

http://www.mv-customguitars.com/product/sj200-vintage-style-tortoise-pickguard-gold/

kinda pricey, like a D 45, sometimes its ok to want something and not get it, keeps the flame burning, but the other half of me says "get it while you can" - a j 200 and a d 45 ,I cant, a j 45 I can . While here, can I say, I allways and to this day ,put a Martin D 45, firmly at the top of the production guitar family,and the J 200 right on its heels -- J - fwiw ,I love the bling on either....

2016-06-11%2018.11.43.jpg

2016-06-11%2018.12.15.jpg

I had wanted one about since I started playing in 1999 (although it went back and forth--wanted a Guild jumbo for ages, but the SJ-200 was where the heart was) and finally got one back in May to celebrate a year at my first master's degree job (which pays like I don't even have a bachelor's degree, but oh well). Nevermind the "one year" date is actually now, not May.

Anyway, I love it like crazy. I go back and forth over which guitar is my favorite, but I think this might be the one.

Photobucket is not my favorite though. When did that site get so ad-laden and bogged down?

I think they tried again pretty well with the SJ-100 at trying to lower the price point some. There is a lot of fiddly work that goes into an SJ-200--has always been that way. I think they rely on the J-15 and J-45 and such to induct people into the herd, and some of them go on to buy an SJ-200 as well. There's a huge overseas market.

I don't mind. I like thinking I got something kinda rare.

Congratulations - the rumour about this one was flying, but we never actually saw it before.

A very happy and carefree, , , dare I say summer-burst.

Time for a sound test - perhaps an A/B with the Bird and same steel.

You got yourself quite a (2-ribbon) personality there. Capo on 7th fret and Here Comes The Sun is waiting.

I like that finish Jesse.... mine is the traditional vintage sunburst...

as for photobucket, man you got that right... it's one of the worse for the adds and background scripts. takes for ever to get where you want to go on that site.

Archived