Gibson Brands Forums

D'Addario coated strings

olie

I've been trying various strings on my DR500mce and the latest test has been the coated EXP16 D'Addarios in light gauge. I've had them on since the last week in Sept. and they seem to sound quite fine so far.It seems that comparing sound quality after the fact is really difficult and I have a hard time deciding which ones sound better after I've removed the old ones.elixir, Martin and most of the rest of them seem to make good strings and all I've figured out so far is that I can't figure it out!Am I the only player out there who has come to the conclusion that this just might be a mug's game? Especially considering that on any given day atmospheric conditions and my old ears can vary widely.Wondering what y'all have to add to this.

D'addario exp16 sound amazing on my harley benton guitar (spruce top lam rosewood back and sides) lovely dry but warm full sound. I tried them on my EJ160E and don't like them as much as elixirs on the Epiphone. The Elixirs seem to have more "thump" which suits the Epi better. So I think i'll stick to d'addario on the HB (Martin d41 copy - sounds amazing for the price - I've been gigging with it for two months and it is brilliant both unplugged and through the PA ) and stick to elixirs on the Epi

D'addario exp16 sound amazing on my harley benton guitar (spruce top lam rosewood back and sides) lovely dry but warm full sound. I tried them on my EJ160E and don't like them as much as elixirs on the Epiphone. The Elixirs seem to have more "thump" which suits the Epi better. So I think i'll stick to d'addario on the HB (Martin d41 copy - sounds amazing for the price - I've been gigging with it for two months and it is brilliant both unplugged and through the PA ) and stick to elixirs on the Epi

Thanks, Dodger.

I was using Elixir Nanowebs for a couple of years, which were fine, then round about the end of last year I tried the EXP's on one of my Masterbilts (can't remember now which was first) now I have them on all my guitars. They sound great to my aging ears and last a long time - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think you're right, a lot of people seem to spend a lot of time and money on a tiny change in tone, that in all likelihood they are the only one who can hear.

Good to hear you're still gigging Dodger [thumbup]

I've used D'Addario EXP's lights, 80/20's for as long as I can remember, and if I recall correctly, this is what Epi ships as "stock" on their acoustics. No complaints here and no reason to change.

As always, YMMV.

I was using Elixir Nanowebs for a couple of years, which were fine, then round about the end of last year I tried the EXP's on one of my Masterbilts (can't remember now which was first) now I have them on all my guitars. They sound great to my aging ears and last a long time - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think you're right, a lot of people seem to spend a lot of time and money on a tiny change in tone, that in all likelihood they are the only one who can hear.

Good to hear you're still gigging Dodger [thumbup]

Slainte a chara

Got a residency in a bar in town on Saturday evening as half of an acoustic duo and we're doing the odd spot here and there a few other nights. Loving every minute!

I love the mellow character of the D'Addario EXP16 lights and use them on all of my better guitars. I used to run Elixir Nanowebs a couple of years ago, but not anymore. I recently tried the new D'Addario nickel bronze strings, but found them to be a bit too bright for my taste.

The OP is probably right in saying that strings are a mug's game, and for the most part only ever truly perceptible to the player himself or in a studio environment.

Not sure if strings are a mugs game. I've found that they might make the most difference in tone. Cheap strings to my ear will make an expensive guitar sound cheap and vice versa. Also I've found that certain strings suit certain guitars better. I own 3 acoustics and to my ears Gibson Masterbilt strings sound amazing on my Terada J200 copy - elixirs sound best on my EJ160E - and I've only tried EXP16 on my Harley benton because I already loved the sound and they were the stock strings.

I have EXP16 on my EJ160E now and they sound good but elixirs definitely make this guitar better

Along with hearing elixir are made by D'Addario I also know that elixir winds there strings then coats them. D'Addairo coats there strings then winds them. Lots of difference there. Mik B)

That would explain why I never thought the D'Addario EXP's were coated until it was recently pointed out to me. I used to use Elixir Nano's on my elec's but recently switched to EB Cobalts.

As to Elixir's being made by D'Addario, I recall several months ago reading (on the internet, so it MUST be true, right?) that most strings are made by just a few companies, to the other's specs, and packaged for them. It said that D'Addario was basically the largest string mfgr in the world. Regardless of whether or not they are, I like the EXP's.

Archived